• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Should the bicycles in professional road racing have rear view mirrors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
In almost every dangerous racing sport with multiple participants like formula 1, moto GP and other racing sports, rear view mirrors are obligatory for safety reasons.

Yesterday, one of the most likable riders in road racing died because of the lack of mirrors on his bicycle.

How long do we have to wait and how many riders have to die until UCI finally changes the rules and makes mirrors obligatory in cycling, too?

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I guess this will never happen. We could also suggest roll cages and seat belts. I can't imagine the bikes getting a lot safer in the future.

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
boomcie said:
Yeah, I guess this will never happen. We could also suggest roll cages and seat belts. I can't imagine the bikes getting a lot safer in the future.

why not?

technically, it would be pretty easy and it would increase safety especially in situations like yesterday a lot and it wouldn't hurt racing in any way.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
boomcie said:

Rear-view mirrors might even make it more dangerous.

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Wing mirrors would make bikes more dangerous, not less. This is silly.

This is just wrong. One of the most dangerous things in cycling is to look back over your shoulder. With mirrors the riders would never have to take their eyes off of what's ahead of them.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
Rear-view mirrors might even make it more dangerous.

Jamsque said:
Wing mirrors would make bikes more dangerous, not less. This is silly.

Yeah, I figured as much. Like I said, the bikes are as safe as they're going to get. Maybe a few minor tweeks, but not much.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Tornadin said:
In almost every dangerous racing sport with multiple participants like formula 1, moto GP and other racing sports, rear view mirrors are obligatory for safety reasons.

Yesterday, one of the most likable riders in road racing died because of the lack of mirrors on his bicycle.

How long do we have to wait and how many riders have to die until UCI finally changes the rules and makes mirrors obligatory in cycling, too?

fail.jpg

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Tornadin said:
This is just wrong. One of the most dangerous things in cycling is to look back over your shoulder. With mirrors the riders would never have to take their eyes off of what's ahead of them.

just go away. you are kidding I hope right?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Tornadin said:

Looking over your shoulder is much, much safer than adding mirrors that stick out 25cm from each side of your handlebars. The moment another racer taps one of those things, you are on the floor.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I guess with some brilliant engerineering you could work something workable out in the future. Mirrors isn't the only way to see what happens at the back you know.

It's easy to laugh, but where are those laughing that the earth spins around the sun now?

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I guess with some brilliant engerineering you could work something workable out in the future. Mirrors isn't the only way to see what happens at the back you know.

It's easy to laugh, but where are those laughing that the earth spins around the sun now?

In history books?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
boomcie said:
In history books?

Yeah, being laughed at.

I'm no technlogy nerd, but wouldn't it be possible to have a little camera on the back of your bike showing the footage at a little screen placed on your handlebar?

Sure expensive, but better than wasting cash to Prins Laurent.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Tornadin said:
So when you look in the mirror are you also looking down the road? Can't be done Your attention is where you look including the mirror. I have seen those mirrors that plug into the ends of your bars. When you look there, you see the road below and a very small image of what is close behind. You won't be looking down the road or where you are going except around the edges of your field of view. Helmet mirrors poke out eyes in crashes. There is a dot mirror that fixes to your glasses and that might offer some of the Utility but they are currently the only legal mirrors too.

%99.999 of the time your peripheral vision is enough to know what is around you. Yesterday he looked back to see the limits of his vision, IE as far back as he could. no bike mounted mirror would have given him enough resolution to determine a motorcycle from a bike. A handle bar mirror would require the rider to get really close and concentrate on the image to use a mirror to see that far back...

Never mind this thread is for people that have no real clue. Mirrors are dangerous too and have hazards that just complicate this issue, that really isn't an issue.

A

Anonymous

Think is you have to look at it logically.

How many times in the last 30 years in top level cycling has a rider looked back over their shoulders, i would guess we would be in the millions, maybe even billions.

How many fatal accidents have there been because a rider was looking back over his shoulder?

We should not let one freak accident, result in trying to find out how to stop that one in a billion accident from happening again.

And yes, mirrors on bikes would be more dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS