• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sibiu Cycling Tour 2020, July 23 - 26, Romania

kea37yZ3_400x400.jpeg

Ec5Tq-9XkAUb7EF

Let's start racing again with a 4 day race in Romania! Main stars are definitely Methieu Van der Poel and Pacal Ackerman.
Fans and media will be able to follow the race online via a livestream on Livestream Romania, Facebook page or the website of the race. Text updated will be available on our Twitter account.

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/sibiu-cycling-tour/2020/overview
https://www.ciclism.sibiu.ro/

di3nCof.png

re8bcOS.png

WP1GLBS.png

Full startlist: https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/sibiu-cycling-tour/2020/gc/startlist

Never heard of this Rebellin guy. Is he related with this rider in the 90s and early 2000s that won a couple of mayor classics in the Ardennes?

On a more serious note i would say Bora will dominate the race with Kamma & Konrad for GC and Ackermann for sprints. Visconti, Badilatti and the Russians (Cherkasov and Novikov) should be the main competitors regarding GC.
And I guess Zoidl will be up there in the mountains but will lose time in a split in flatter stages as usual.

Zoidl will not be around, Felbermayr cancelled their participation due to travel restrictions (Austria cancelled all flights to the Balkan). Kämna (going to Burgos instead, afaik) was replaced by Mühlberger a while ago already.

No idea if the restriction may also impact Mühlberger's and Konrad's participation, or if they are not located in Austria anyway.

Look out for Bike Aids Erik Bergstrom, a young swedish climber. Maybe the level here is still a bit too high for him, and who knows in what shape the riders are coming out of lockdown, but Balea Lac could suit him really well and he is still flying under the radar.

Mulu Hailemichael will also be interesting to watch and Schlegel is a lock for at least a Top 10 I guess. Would be cool to see Adamietz show some climbing legs but level could be too high for him. Also Carstensen is a really fast guy if he gets his sprint right.

Look out for Bike Aids Erik Bergstrom, a young swedish climber. Maybe the level here is still a bit too high for him, and who knows in what shape the riders are coming out of lockdown, but Balea Lac could suit him really well and he is still flying under the radar.

Mulu Hailemichael will also be interesting to watch and Schlegel is a lock for at least a Top 10 I guess. Would be cool to see Adamietz show some climbing legs but level could be too high for him. Also Carstensen is a really fast guy if he gets his sprint right.
always hard to say with Schlegel. If he is in shape, yes, but I saw him in Tour of Romania last year, and he was quite far away from optimal racing weight back then. Toupalik wants to go for it though, the way I understood. And with Hnik and Barta (7th two years ago) they have a strong team no matter what.

Bergstrom is not sure to come yet, I think, as it's still difficult to get out of Sweden without quarantine (edit: or not. seems like he is in France already)

Last edited:
sounds like he has no residence and/or long-term permission to stay in the EU, but Androni has him racing on a 90 day visa instead. This makes things additionally complicated of course.

For Sibiu, he was on the reserve list only, "just in case" he makes it on time, so there was a relatively small chance to begin with. Let's hope he'll make it back for the Giro at least, and it won't be a completely wasted season for him

Wibatech is actually the replacement for Felbermayr, but Alpecin withdrew as well, yep.

Belgium recommends quarantine for travelers returning from Romania, and they don't want to risk that to turn into mandatory 2 week isolation, costing van der Poel the participation in the Italian classics.

Bora Hansgrohe will start. They talked to the autorities in Germany and Austria and they don't have to go to quarantine after the race, because it is a professionel event with a hygene concept. In Germany there is no warning anyway at the moment. There are 20 infections for 100.000 people in romania and 7 out of 100.000 in the Sibiu. The criticial number is 50 out of 100.000 in the UCI rules and even in germany.

source: https://www.radsport-news.com/sport/sportnews_120665.htm (in german)

Reactions: search
good to see. Actually, over the past weeks, Romania has also counted positive retests (for people to be checked if they are healthy again, for example) as "new infection", so many people pop up twice or even more often in the statistics. This will be changed now, and should bring the numbers down quite a bit I guess (last week there was one day with official over 600 new infections, but only ~300 of those were actually new):

TRENDING THREADS