• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Single most "questionable" ride of the year?

There may have been many highly questionable performances this year, by a multitude of riders, but what ride was it that raised your eyebrows the most? In other words: your nominations for the most doped up performance of the year, please.

If you can't narrow it down to one performance by one rider, then please post more than one.
 
Leipheimer and Horner at the ToC.

Leipheimer at the Tour of Utah. No testing at either race, and since I'm convinced they had advanced knowledge of this, they had to have been doped to the gills.

Both these guys are at the back ends of their respective careers, and by all accounts should not be having performances like they had in 2011. But the doping at Radio Shack goes on seemingly undisturbed, and these two guys are at the top of the list to me.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Levi in Toc and Utah/Horner in ToC. One of the few times ive watched the tv and just laughed. and the fact that there was no testing says it all.

Gilbert. The first win was fine, two was fine, but by the time it became predicatable I had lost all interest.

But most laughably obvious of the year was Levi and Horner.. theres really nothing else came close. Whats funnier is that its a **** pot race that nobody outside of America cares about.
 
thehog said:
Thor? Seriously? He's had one of his worst seasons in a long time, has never been implicated in anything, always ridden for acknowledged "clean teams" and was an enormous talent ever since he started riding his bike. Remember, he as a u23 rider he wasn't even a sprinter, he was a time trialist and a puncheur (random examples: 10th on mont faron in 2002, also the first TDF stage he won was a medium mountain stage). For some reason he suddenly decided that he was a sprinter, luckily the last years he has gone a bit away from that and improved his climbing while his sprinting has become a lot worse. I really don't see how that's suspicious.

Anyway, I'd like to nominate Kern, who suddenly went from half-decent mountain domestique to a top level climber and time trialist.
 
Speaking of Gilbert, there is no way any one rider can win two one-day classics and a semi-classic all in one week without a tremendous amount of doping.

It just kills me that I don't know what he was on. One day those secrets may be revealed...
 
Jun 19, 2009
5,220
0
0
Visit site
Gilbert. At times you could almost see the fumes wafting from his trail.
Levi and Horner although it became obvious that, all things being equal: Horner delivers more.
 
maltiv said:
Thor? Seriously? He's had one of his worst seasons in a long time, has never been implicated in anything, always ridden for acknowledged "clean teams" and was an enormous talent ever since he started riding his bike. Remember, he as a u23 rider he wasn't even a sprinter, he was a time trialist and a puncheur (random examples: 10th on mont faron in 2002, also the first TDF stage he won was a medium mountain stage). For some reason he suddenly decided that he was a sprinter, luckily the last years he has gone a bit away from that and improved his climbing while his sprinting has become a lot worse. I really don't see how that's suspicious.

Anyway, I'd like to nominate Kern, who suddenly went from half-decent mountain domestique to a top level climber and time trialist.

Thor's season was on the ropes. He wanted out of Garmin and prepared himself nicely for the Tour to prostitute himself to suitable teams. Before you knew it he was climbing with Contador & Evans.
 
TeamSkyFans said:
Levi in Toc and Utah/Horner in ToC. One of the few times ive watched the tv and just laughed. and the fact that there was no testing says it all.

Gilbert. The first win was fine, two was fine, but by the time it became predicatable I had lost all interest.

But most laughably obvious of the year was Levi and Horner.. theres really nothing else came close. Whats funnier is that its a **** pot race that nobody outside of America cares about.

Watch it all again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqiNUSD9Rz8&sns=em

Those pesky Euros get beat by a couple of Yanks!
 
geos boys in last two weeks of vuelta.

cobo, of course, and we know about menchov who suddenly got form in the vuelta when the team needed sponsorship.

wiggins. his latest super supportive/complimentary comments of armstrong basically did him in. with everything proving armstrong doped throughout his years of dominance, and wiggins states he was legit when (at the very least) he could have said nothing...un-freakin'-believable.

andy schleck. doped to the gills. to the gills. can't wait until next year.

contadope. doped but couldn't risk quite as much as before.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,455
5
0
Visit site
Oldman said:
Gilbert. At times you could almost see the fumes wafting from his trail.
Levi and Horner although it became obvious that, all things being equal: Horner delivers more.

What does it say about Gilbert's opponents then that finished near him? It's not like Phil is someone who wins with many minutes. Most of the time just a few seconds.