Smart, Clever Animal Thread

Love the looks of the honey badgers, much like raccoons they are just way too cute. But as a hopefully responsible pet owner I don't want them anywhere near my domesticated pets/animals.

RESPECT the badger!

PS - Saw a falcon in my backyard earlier today, is there ever a more magnificent sight than the one of a bird of prey?

I have not given squirrels enough credit. Props to this virus era boredom-inspired author, designer, creator of:
(oh, and props to the squirrels)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFZFjoX2cGg
I'm obviously not nearly as creative as the glitter bomber, but I've spent years trying to keep the squirrels out of my wife's bird feeders. The simplest fix is old tortilla chips. If I put those on the ground they will eat those...first and then move on to the bird food. I've also had luck with specifically formulated bird food that the squirrels don't like as much, and squirrel licks help some too.

I've been known to sit and watch in amazement as they fly, figuratively and literally, around my old elms.

EDIT: I was looking out the window watching the squirrels this morning thinking about building a challenge course for them . :)

Last edited:
I'm obviously not nearly as creative as the glitter bomber, but I've spent years trying to keep the squirrels out of my wife's bird feeders. The simplest fix is old tortilla chips. If I put those on the ground they will eat those...first and then move on to the bird food. I've also had luck with specifically formulated bird food that the squirrels don't like as much, and squirrel licks help some too.

I've been known to sit and watch in amazement as they fly, figuratively and literally, around my old elms.

EDIT: I was looking out the window watching the squirrels this morning thinking about building a challenge course for them . :)
Squirrels are the tiniest, and the most clever, of beasts I've ever encountered.

They keep on taunting you - whether human or other type of animal, they just know they've got your number.

Clever little buggers... my sunflowers are especially tall this year (about 12ft.), but this hasn't deterred the squirrels any. They have learned to climb the sunflowers from the bottom, and, I couldn't capture one in action on camera, but they have learned to climb the ladder as well. I had set up the ladder so I could cut the sunflowers once they wilt, I give the wilted flowers to the squirrels anyway. So if they could just wait until then before they start chomping on them...

At last I was able to get a shot of a squirrel on the ladder - it's not a very good shot, but these little feckers work fast!

Just look at his cute little face, isn't he just mocking me because of my slow focus and zoom camera action? Grrrrrrr...

Trust me, those cute little eyes are planning evil. ;)

From places of safety squirrels are expert mockers, as all the dogs I've ever owned could attest.

Weather experts say a hard winter is coming around here, based on various things like wasp nest building (higher from ground level), & the quantity of pine cones trees have produced. So these furry little beggers have been in high gear storing for the winter. Even dropping whole walnuts in the husk in my yard they've gathered from neighborhood trees. Might be good winter to put out bird seed with ample load of sunflower seeds.

Trust me, those cute little eyes are planning evil. ;)

From places of safety squirrels are expert mockers, as all the dogs I've ever owned could attest.

Weather experts say a hard winter is coming around here, based on various things like wasp nest building (higher from ground level), & the quantity of pine cones trees have produced. So these furry little beggers have been in high gear storing for the winter. Even dropping whole walnuts in the husk in my yard they've gathered from neighborhood trees. Might be good winter to put out bird seed with ample load of sunflower seeds.
I always have to chuckle when the squirrels leave some shelled peanuts in the ground, somebody in the neighborhood gives it to them and they bury them for later.

This summer has just been crazy with birds, rodents, and squirrels chomping on just about anything they can find, even ornamental plants and mistletoe hanging from a tree. It's unprecedented that they are this ravenous, I've never seen anything like it.

All four of my animals have mastered how to manipulate me and everyone else into getting more food, more time inside than ever before. Cats actually scratched through a defrosting bacon package..dogs are demanding that food served be improved..they are not eating the dry dog food offered up..also are not running off seagulls that come to nibble down the uneaten dog breakfast!!
Covid complacency of the highest level!!

Reactions: Tricycle Rider

ASK THE COMMUNITY