• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Spoilers are gone !!!

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Spoilers are gone.

Spoilers are gone.
Thank you staff at Cycling News for listening to many of us about this.
You have just won a reader back.

Regards

May 5, 2009
Visit site
scooter said:
Spoilers are gone. Thank you staff at Cycling News for listening to many of us about this. You have just won a reader back. Regards

Make that two! The "Show headlines" disappearing button in the "Races & Results" is a pretty clever trick. My only question is - once the race starts will the race results be spoiled by being headlined in the 'carrousel' or the 'News Last updated' section right beside the 'Races and Results' section?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you,

Just before the start of Le Tour ... you were just teasing me all along weren't you ... you cheeky monkeys !!!

Did I say Thank you yet ??

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
manolo said:
Make that two! The "Show headlines" disappearing button in the "Races & Results" is a pretty clever trick. My only question is - once the race starts will the race results be spoiled by being headlined in the 'carrousel' or the 'News Last updated' section right beside the 'Races and Results' section?

Once everything is ironed out, there will be no need to run race winners as news. The carousel one could be an issue and has been discussed, but it's basically up to the editors to be smart about how they add races to this to ensure it doesn't give the game away to those who don't want to be spoiled.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Thank you so much! I wish that CN would have not said "spoilers are here to stay" and instead offered to look into it from the beginning. It would have been quite the amount of good will...

As for the carousel, I've trained my eye to ignore that area and view the rest. Flashblock on firefox also works, but of course all advertisements are also hidden... (except for 2 currently - Look and the Chicago Criterium)

A

Anonymous

Greg Johnson said:
Once everything is ironed out, there will be no need to run race winners as news. The carousel one could be an issue and has been discussed, but it's basically up to the editors to be smart about how they add races to this to ensure it doesn't give the game away to those who don't want to be spoiled.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

greg...

youre spoiling us.. :D

joeags said:
Thank you so much! I wish that CN would have not said "spoilers are here to stay" and instead offered to look into it from the beginning. It would have been quite the amount of good will...

+9876543356 but its done now...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Sweet!

Thank you CN!!! The -Hide Headlines- button is a very good solution.

Now I'm happy to make CN my homepage again.

The live report was a oddly formatted today. I'd like to read the -AS IT HAPPENED- from the start of the race, not scroll down to the end and read UP.

Also, the results are in the live report at the beginning - which is a spoiler if you're late in reading the live report. Can you leave the results at the end and run the live report chronologically?

Thanks!

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Live Report Format

Just tweak the ordering of the live report to read from the top down, with the results at the bottom, and you've got a winner. Thanks for the headline delete button, it's a great solution.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
great move on removing spoilers. Not just because of the "spoiler issue" BUT because the results page is now easier to navigate, looks cleaner etc.

THX CN-Team

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
A big step forward

Thank you for listening to your readers. I had about given up hope but this is a big step toward regaining our confidence. Just went on the site for the first time in a while, and while I still have issues with it, especially slow loading, it is much improved from the first version.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
alexandn said:
Also, the results are in the live report at the beginning - which is a spoiler if you're late in reading the live report. Can you leave the results at the end and run the live report chronologically?

OK, Just had to register to say THANK YOU!!!!!. I work all day and being able to come home and read the live report as it happened (without the spoilers) is HUGE for me. Really appreciate it. Have to agree that putting the first reports at the top and leaving the results for the bottom would be better but I'll take what I can get.

Looks like in stage 1 there were some difficulties reporting the standings. You kept showing the intermediate standings when seeing the current finishing times would have been more useful.

Keep up the good work. Thanks again.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Toaster said:
Great move on removing spoilers... the results page is now easier to navigate, looks cleaner...

nmwildog said:
Thank you for listening to your readers... this is a big step toward regaining our confidence...

graviT said:
OK, Just had to... say THANK YOU!!!!!... being able to come home and read the live report as it happened (without the spoilers) is HUGE for me...

This is a huge relief for me. Thanks again! I also wanted to say thanks for putting the full results in the middle column. So much easier to read! Now, would you do the same with the news articles? It feels so weird and uncomfortable to read text scrunched to the left-hand side? I'm hoping you can! Thanks and please keep working on it! I appreciate it!

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, but removing the information from the link doesn't help as long as the winner of the race is shown on the picture next to the link to the report. Not to speak of the flash headlines on top of the home page.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
reader11 said:
Sorry, but removing the information from the link doesn't help as long as the winner of the race is shown on the picture next to the link to the report. Not to speak of the flash headlines on top of the home page.

Agreed. My recorded race was spoilt by seeing Cav's picture. I didn't even have to read the text.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Today it's much better having the 'live report' reading the correct way again. It's a start in me making CN my first hit again in the mornings.

May 16, 2009
Visit site
Spoilers

What is this about spoilers being gone? When i first went to the site this morning to see who had won the stage overnight by going straight to the results link, but, wait a minute...there's a BIG picture of Hushovd with his hands in the air and headlines about him.What has happened at cyclingnews! Site still sucks.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
spoilers still there

A picture of the winner next to the stage link counts as a spoiler in my book. The new site is very disappointing so far :(

TRENDING THREADS