• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage 19, Avellino - Vesuvio, 164km

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
After 38 kms, Facci and Krivtsov are alone - 6 minutes ahead of the peloton.

Will anyone try a long break, perhaps attacking on the Picco Sant'Angelo? Should be a great stage.

I think Sastre will be back with a win today, the Vesuvio should suit him well.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Sorry man, you beat me by a minute:).
I think Basso will get this one. Ultra fast tempo by the Liquigas train at the start of Vesuvius. Szmyd will launch him. He'll go for it almost from the foot of the final climb. Just have a hunch;). Could be completely wrong though.

I also think Sastre will have recovered for today, so he should be strong.

Finally, I'd love to see Di Luca attack Menchov repeatedly. Can he finally break him? And if he does, can he take enough time from the Russian to be safe before the TT in Rome?

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Di Luca will definitely attack.

The question everyone asks seems to be if Menchov will crack at some point - to me it's equally interesting to see if Di Luca will crack at some point, and lose his podium place ;)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't tomorrow's stage have a small uphill finish...which would favor DDL in an uphill sprint? 2 time bonuses he could theoretically take today and tomorrow...It'd make for an exciting conclusion if he get back in pink before the final TT...even if he doesn't get enough time to hold off Menchov in the TT, it'd make for a great finale. Remember how good Sastre TT'd last year with yellow on...not too many picked him to do that well, so hypothetically if DDL started the TT last in pink, the "power" of that jersey could help some.

I, for one, have really enjoyed this giro so far and another swap (or 2) of the jersey would wrap it up quite nicely...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Yes! Showdown on the flanks of the Vesuvius. It's judgement day...

Prediction: Menchov and Sastre have recovered. Sastre quite possibly not enough to be of real significance today. Menchov is feeling good, but will be sandwiched by Pellizotti, Basso and Di Luca. He will choose to follow di Luca, who sets a furious pace and stings with some accelerations. He does not drop him and they will go to the finish together, where Menchov beats him in the sprint...

No need to watch it anymore now ;)

Let's hope for the best!

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Yes flyor64, Di Luca will be the favourite tomorrow IF his team manage to reel in the inevitable breakaway. I don't think too many teams will be interested in helping them out, since Di Luca is the obvious favourite in such a finale.

Regarding the final TT, remember that a TT after three weeks is nothing like a TT in the first week. Last year, Pellizotti and Menchov had about the same time in the final TT - that says enough.

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
Break has about 4m30 sec on the Maglia Rosa group. 2 riders, an ukranian from Ag2R (Krivtsov) and an italian from Quick Step (Facci).

Lance Armstrong had a minor crash but got back on the bike and rejoined the Maglia Rosa group.

So far, it's Di Luca's team, LPR Brakes, doing the chasing.

On a side note, the scenery of this stage is absolutely breathtaking!

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
The lead of the break has been stable over the past 10 or so minutes at 4min38 seconds.

65 km to go, the break just hit the Picco St-Angelo climb.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
First time I've watched Giro stages.

Striking thing is the whole place seems like cycling paradise, e.g., number of good roads, changing hills, scenery, towns, etc., boggles the mind.

Looks much better than France, from looking at TDF, from bike race perspective. Can almost just watch for the scenery, LOL.

Parrot23 said:
First time I've watched Giro stages.

Striking thing is the whole place seems like cycling paradise, e.g., number of good roads, changing hills, scenery, towns, etc., boggles the mind.

Looks much better than France, from looking at TDF, from bike race perspective. Can almost just watch for the scenery, LOL.

That is one of the reasons I love the Giro. The scenery is gorgeous.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
LOL, Eurosport commentator just said that Richard Virenque's yacht (I suppose, sailing boat) burnt down the other day. But Virenque's okay, because he's in the commentary box besides Eurosport box, along with J. Durand.

Wonder if Richard is still pulling heroic-looking, longsuffering, melodramatic faces, :rolleyes: but this time in the commentary box. Think one Australian rider used to call him with exasperation, "Richard, bloody, Virenque", I think. :D

Ha, ha, ha, Menchov could learn a thing or two from him in the visage category.

Parrot23 said:
LOL, Eurosport commentator just said that Richard Virenque's yacht (I suppose, sailing boat) burnt down the other day. But Virenque's okay, because he's in the commentary box besides Eurosport box, along with J. Durand.

Wonder if Richard is still pulling heroic-looking, longsuffering, melodramatic faces, :rolleyes: but this time in the commentary. Think one Australian rider used to call him with exasperation, "Richard, bloody, Virenque", I think. :D

Ha, ha, ha, Menchov could learn a thing for two from him in the visage category.

Ah, I liked Virenque. I forgot to include him in my favorite riders list.

Voeckler is just not that good of a replacement for Virenque. He is good at mugging for the cameras but not so much at winning.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I forgot to include him in my favorite riders list.

I used to hear that he's the favourite of most French housewives, but not as a cyclist/racer like you! He's prob. consoling :rolleyes: himself with one right now, out the back of the commentary box.

Parrot23 said:
I used to hear that he's the favourite of most French housewives, but not as a cyclist/racer like you! He's prob. consoling :rolleyes: himself with one right now, out the back of the commentary box.

I just liked him because he would often come up with the goods on long mountain breakaways. His Paris-Tours win was killer.

All my favorites are climbers.

TRENDING THREADS