• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage 5 Châteauneuf-du-Pape -> La Montagne de Lure 176 km, Friday 8th March

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nice win from Porte, great to see Menchov stay ahead of the leading pack for 2nd too!

Not sure if the main GC group were all knakered or just lost time stupidly by looking around at each other for the final 1k. I only thought Porte would get 10-15 seconds but got over half a minute.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
In fact, a good sign that Menchov was strong today. Him and Evans are still alive, also Scarponi, while Klöden and especially Basso show weakness.

Voigt as usual, he could stay WT rider until 45 if he wanted to.

So now let´s wait for Grandpa Horner.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
hayzer114 said:
Whats tomorrows stage like? Can it shake up the GC or has Porte got it in the bag?

Nothing will happen tomorrow. Sunday there's an ITT on the Col D'Eze, that could create some gaps, but not enough to threaten Porte.

Sky is so laughable. As a captain Porte is suddenly able to jump away on a mtf :rolleyes:

Hell, Mentsjoev second after yesterday's leaked information. Horrible. Pure pain.:mad:

Blanco should've tried to send Boom and Slagter as captains to P-N. Gesink, what a joke. :(

Porte should be able to win this now.
Although Westra did put about 1 1/2 minute on Porte at Col d' Eze last year. So there's still some desperate hope for the Dutch mafia :cool:

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, last year Westra took 1'42 out of Porte in the final TT, Westra has got this in the bag for sure ;)

No, in reality, I think we all know why Sky has been going so well lately. It's to ensure the natural law that Westra will always be 2nd. Last year it took Wiggins, now it's Porte.

Maaaaaaaarten said:
Well, last year Westra took 1'42 out of Porte in the final TT, Westra has got this in the bag for sure ;)

No, in reality, I think we all know why Sky has been going so well lately. It's to ensure the natural law that Westra will always be 2nd. Last year it took Wiggins, now it's Porte.

So it's about looking forward which rider will be ahead of Westra in De Panne. :eek:

theyoungest said:
It seems I was too conservative in my guesstimate: instead of "he won't make the top-20" I should have said "he won't make the top-30".

I don't know what's wrong with Gesink, but I saw this coming. He just looked like crap the last few days.

Yep you were right, he was absolutely nowhere. Already early on the climb you could see it.

Still wonder why he could follow/beat similar names just days ago in Murcia and now can't even follow the likes of Grivko...

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Yep you were right, he was absolutely nowhere. Already early on the climb you could see it.

Still wonder why he could follow/beat similar names just days ago in Murcia and now can't even follow the likes of Grivko...

very simple, this isn;t murcia, this is p-n the level is muc higher, gesink was probably in early oman shape anyway

TRENDING THREADS