• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Standard Shorts + Leader's/Champion's Jerseys Again? Hurray!!

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Toward the start of the season, I was pleasantly surprised to see Big Thor wearing what appeared to be normal, team-issued shorts with his World Champion's jersey. I've also noticed during the Giro a number (if not all?) of the classification leaders have been wearing what appeared to be standard, team-issued shorts with their respective jerseys.

I'm very happy to see this happen, but I'm wondering if it's just a shift in style, or if there have been rules put in place. Mind you, Giovanni Visconti's matching Italian champ shorts would suggest there hasn't been a change to the rules.

Nevertheless, I happy to see team shorts and leader's/champion's jerseys together again!!

Bag_O_Wallet said:
Toward the start of the season, I was pleasantly surprised to see Big Thor wearing what appeared to be normal, team-issued shorts with his World Champion's jersey. I've also noticed during the Giro a number (if not all?) of the classification leaders have been wearing what appeared to be standard, team-issued shorts with their respective jerseys.

I'm very happy to see this happen, but I'm wondering if it's just a shift in style, or if there have been rules put in place. Mind you, Giovanni Visconti's matching Italian champ shorts would suggest there hasn't been a change to the rules.

Nevertheless, I happy to see team shorts and leader's/champion's jerseys together again!!

There has been no change in rules.

With some teams with standard, simple national jerseys and plain black shorts in the team uni, it's simple enough to do it that way (see Knees and Thomas at Team Sky, for example). Other teams with different colour schemes will see the national jersey clash with theirs and therefore integrate the full uni of the national champion (eg Sousa, Kolobnev, Stangelj). For some, there is no clash but they make the stylistic choice (Visconti), or there is a clash, and they make the stylistic choice to waste the national champion's jersey altogether (Gutiérrez). The only recent example of somebody wearing their national champion's jersey and it clearly not matching their team issue shorts is Kushchynski at Liqui last year:

sl372747_600.jpg

With regards to the race leader's jerseys, of course this is par for the course in most races - only occasionally do non-Grand Tours merit this, such as for example Alejandro Valverde's awful all-yellow ensemble in the Dauphiné:

corvos_valverde_dauphine_stage_8.jpg

For the most part, unless that person is somebody who really didn't expect to get the exposure of the jersey and goes haywire with the everything-in-that-design style (such as Brice Feillu in the polka dots in 2009), the riders won't go for the all-in style early in the race, and only do so when they've had the position for a while. It was only several days into his stint in the maglia verde last year that Matty Lloyd decided to add more green to his ensemble; Arroyo went for the all-pink approach because he was scoring an unexpected success and was super-proud. The other thing is budget - if they're still in pink and white in a few days' time I wouldn't be surprised to see Contador and Kreuziger modify their uniforms to include pink and white shorts; a team like Colnago-CSF Inox may not think it worthwhile to make Savini up a special all-green ensemble, especially considering he only has a one-point lead in the standings. For smaller teams, doing an everything-in ensemble like Cavendish's green gear from '09 or Arroyo's all-pink kit from last year is probably not worth it especially if they then lose the jersey - CSF-Navigare never made up any special gear for Sella in '08 despite his holding the mountains jersey from day 1 to day 21.

I was hoping that this was becoming the case again (only the jersey changes), but the fact the Contador has a pink helmet leads me to believe otherwise.

Then again, Schleck and Sastre both wore team pants in 2008, so maybe it's a Riis thing. Frank didn't even have a yellow hat! But Sastre did, with yellow tape. Still, that's pretty subtle compared to what, say, the Giro winner wore that year.

I think is very neat to have that variety of Uniforms in Pro-Cycling- which is BTW unique in all Sports- so I actually embrace the fashion statement in all cases-even being an Old School fashion supported- I think is cool to have that kind of distinguishing trademark-of course if the rider has property earned it...

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
I was hoping that this was becoming the case again (only the jersey changes), but the fact the Contador has a pink helmet leads me to believe otherwise.

Then again, Schleck and Sastre both wore team pants in 2008, so maybe it's a Riis thing. Frank didn't even have a yellow hat! But Sastre did, with yellow tape. Still, that's pretty subtle compared to what, say, the Giro winner wore that year.

corvos_contador_giro_stage_16.jpg

It's better then colors that don't mix :p

Used to like this pink jersey more then the one they have now.

Hmm... I haven't really thought about it. :rolleyes:

As for whether or not I think it's ok; well, if it's either a championship jersey which you are going to keep for at least a year I see absolutely no problem is going "all the way". Of course with the issue of flag colours clashing with team colours you could just do as team Leopard Trek has done, you really need to look twice to notice...

On the other hand I've always thought it was a little silly when a rider, after having had a jersey for the shortest amount of time went all "I am totally going to match everything with this jersey! Even if I'll probably lose it soon..."

RedheadDane said:
On the other hand I've always thought it was a little silly when a rider, after having had a jersey for the shortest amount of time went all "I am totally going to match everything with this jersey! Even if I'll probably lose it soon..."

Like Chavanel and his green/yellow bike on the cobbles in the TdF last year...

I can't remember where I read it, but it described Cervelo Test Team's preparation for matching shorts with jerseys for the 2009 Tour. Castelli supplied them with shorts in sizes for the riders who had a chance of wearing a jersey, e.g. Green in Hushovd's size, white or polka dot shorts in Sastre's size and Yellow for Hushovd and Sastre.

I think I saw Specialized did the same with bikes for Saxo. They had a yellow Tarmac ready for both Andy and Cancellara.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Worst clash was when Denis Menchov wore the pink in 2009 Giro. Pink and Orange. But he ended up wearing matching shorts few days later.

TRENDING THREADS