• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stig Broeckx in coma after serious crash involving motorbike

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/broeckx-in-a-non-induced-coma-after-motorbike-incident-at-baloise-belgium-tour/

It was immediately clear that Stig had incurred a head injury and that he needed to be transported to a neurosurgical centre. Together with the race doctor and the medical emergency team we decided to transport him to the hospital of Aachen, which has the necessary infrastructure. A scan was taken at the hospital and it showed that Stig has two bleedings in his brain. Stig is in a non-induced coma, but for the moment he doesn't need to undergo surgery. He doesn't have a skull fracture, but he does have a fractured eye socket, which will be further evaluated later. At this point, it is very difficult to give a prognosis about a full recovery. The next 24 hours he will be very closely monitored."

My thoughts are with Stig and his family at this time, I hope that he can come through this.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
There was an update this morning that basically said nothing has changed.

"Zijn toestand is een dag later nog altijd status quo", zegt zijn ploeg. "De bloeding en de druk in zijn hersenen schommelen een beetje, maar het blijft binnen de aanvaardbare normen."

"Het risico is dus zeker niet geweken. Het is dan ook belangrijk dat we zijn situatie van dichtbij blijven opvolgen. In de loop van de dag zullen er nieuwe onderzoeken en tests worden uitgevoerd."
Source: Sporza

Translation:

"His condition a day later is still a status quo", says his team. "The bleeding and pressure in his brain fluctuate a bit, but stay within acceptable boundaries."

"The risk certainly isn't over. It is, therefore, of utmost importance to watch his condition close. During the day, new tests will be performed."

(Translation is mine, so it's far from perfect.)

Re:

WillemS said:
There was an update this morning that basically said nothing has changed.

"Zijn toestand is een dag later nog altijd status quo", zegt zijn ploeg. "De bloeding en de druk in zijn hersenen schommelen een beetje, maar het blijft binnen de aanvaardbare normen."

"Het risico is dus zeker niet geweken. Het is dan ook belangrijk dat we zijn situatie van dichtbij blijven opvolgen. In de loop van de dag zullen er nieuwe onderzoeken en tests worden uitgevoerd."
Source: Sporza

Translation:

"His condition a day later is still a status quo", says his team. "The bleeding and pressure in his brain fluctuate a bit, but stay within acceptable boundaries."

"The risk certainly isn't over. It is, therefore, of utmost importance to watch his condition close. During the day, new tests will be performed."

(Translation is mine, so it's far from perfect.)

And now a new update from LTS:

Team doctor Servaas Bingé: “Constant monitoring and tests showed that the intracranial pressure has slightly increased, but within acceptable limits. During the next 48 to 72 hours the increase or decrease of the intracranial pressure will be decisive for further treatment. If the intracranial pressure increases, surgery might be necessary. A decrease of the pressure would be a positive sign. The bleedings in the brain have stabilised. The condition of Stig needs to be monitored every hour and the neurosurgical team of the hospital is consulted for the treatment. The secondary injuries – fracture of the eye socket and bruised lung – don’t have a determining influence at the moment.”

You didn't post in this thread either until you did, and apparently you didn't even see all those other messages about Broeckx or feel the need to start a thread yourself. So get off your high horse.
I never participate in such collective sorrow because I take it that the families don't come to CNF anyway
And you didn't stop to think that maybe other forumers felt the same? You're such a hypocrite. You are sickening.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Stig Broeckx in coma after serious crash involving motor

Let's not get into a fight here, that would be an actual disgrace.

I'm troubled by the latest update, that doesn't sound good.

While I'm no doctor, I'm worried that he might not fully recover. From the sentiment in the updates, I gather that the team and doctors have similar fears. Well, first things, first, I hope he recovers to a point at which he can lead a normal life; let's worry about his career later.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm not a mod, but I hope we can keep this thread on the topic of Stig Broeckx and not have it degrade into a disrespectful fight.

There's probably a better place to discuss the ethics of users on this forum than this thread.

I ain't got no correct words yesterday. That's why I instantly kept quiet. It's horrible. Big ***. It shouldn't happen. It has happened multiple times lately. It ain't acceptable. It's a young life that's about to end tragically again. There's talk about bad weather protocols and new business models and yet nothing really changes on this matter. It lefts me angry and frustrated. We're in the year of 2016 and apparently these things were better organized in the 90's. It's a shame that the organizers need another potential death as final wake up call. I can't stand that.

Please let Broeckx make it, dear Lord!

Re:

staubsauger said:
I ain't got no correct words yesterday. That's why I instantly kept quiet. It's horrible. Big ****. It shouldn't happen. It has happened multiple times lately. It ain't acceptable. It's a young life that's about to end tragically again. There's talk about bad weather protocols and new business models and yet nothing really changes on this matter. It lefts me angry and frustrated. We're in the year of 2016 and apparently these things were better organized in the 90's. It's a shame that the organizers need another potential death as final wake up call. I can't stand that.

Please let Broeckx make it, dear Lord!

This!
Echoes, please try to understand that sometimes not saying/writing anything doesn't mean not caring, but rather being unable to find the right words to express what you feel.

I understand what Echoes is saying, though, to a point. At least from my own perspective, I saw this and though to my self "For ***'s sake not another". When Demoitie died, I was much more upset and shocked, and took more notice of it. This is down to a number of reasons: perhaps the timing distracted me, with the final stage of the Giro going on, whereas Antoine died during the height of the cobbled classics when 100% of the attention was there; perhaps it was the fact that it was the Tour of Belgium, rather than Gent Wevelgem. I think had it been a bigger race then there would've been more outcry, not much more but a bit more.

But I think the biggest reason by far was my initial reaction, or rather a specific part: "not another". When Demoitie was hit, it was a complete shock. We hadn't seen anything like it, and it was absurd that a motorbike would actually hit a rider. We hadn't had a death since 2011, then we had two in the space of a few days. It was also the 'climax' of the motorbike saga. For the past year there had been close shaves yet most of us, or at least me, didn't really think that this was possible; that a rider would be killed. Now, I have almost become accustomed to it; as sad and horrible as it may be the shock has gone and it has in a way defined this cycling year.

Take the migrant crisis. When the first few boats were sinking and people dying, the international community rose to its collective feet and helped immediately. These were considered tragic, as they were. Nowadays, we have just as many, probably more boats capsizing, sinking and people dying yet these rarely make the news unless it is over 500 people, and even then it doesn't strike the same chord. Why? Because we have become used to them.

I know it is not the same, here we are still shocked, just not as much. We are still very sad for them, that has not changed, but they bring less shock. With every death, it will happen. That, for me, is the reason why this topic has less posts than it should do. It might just be me that feels this way and I may be a horrible human, but all this tells me even louder is that the UCI need to do something about it, fix it or at least make it better before it does become like the boats in the migrant crisis, and just a part of the world today. This is fixable, avoidable. The UCI, disgustingly, don't seem bothered. The riders must rise up and speak up for themselves in these cases. Us fans can only do so much.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Brullnux said:
I understand what Echoes is saying, though, to a point. At least from my own perspective, I saw this and though to my self "For ****'s sake not another". When Demoitie died, I was much more upset and shocked, and took more notice of it. This is down to a number of reasons: perhaps the timing distracted me, with the final stage of the Giro going on, whereas Antoine died during the height of the cobbled classics when 100% of the attention was there; perhaps it was the fact that it was the Tour of Belgium, rather than Gent Wevelgem. I think had it been a bigger race then there would've been more outcry, not much more but a bit more.

But I think the biggest reason by far was my initial reaction, or rather a specific part: "not another". When Demoitie was hit, it was a complete shock. We hadn't seen anything like it, and it was absurd that a motorbike would actually hit a rider. We hadn't had a death since 2011, then we had two in the space of a few days. It was also the 'climax' of the motorbike saga. For the past year there had been close shaves yet most of us, or at least me, didn't really think that this was possible; that a rider would be killed. Now, I have almost become accustomed to it; as sad and horrible as it may be the shock has gone and it has in a way defined this cycling year.

Take the migrant crisis. When the first few boats were sinking and people dying, the international community rose to its collective feet and helped immediately. These were considered tragic, as they were. Nowadays, we have just as many, probably more boats capsizing, sinking and people dying yet these rarely make the news unless it is over 500 people, and even then it doesn't strike the same chord. Why? Because we have become used to them.

I know it is not the same, here we are still shocked, just not as much. We are still very sad for them, that has not changed, but they bring less shock. With every death, it will happen. That, for me, is the reason why this topic has less posts than it should do. It might just be me that feels this way and I may be a horrible human, but all this tells me even louder is that the UCI need to do something about it, fix it or at least make it better before it does become like the boats in the migrant crisis, and just a part of the world today. This is fixable, avoidable. The UCI, disgustingly, don't seem bothered. The riders must rise up and speak up for themselves in these cases. Us fans can only do so much.

I rather suspect that quite a few people didn't say anything because (like me) they were confused by the fact that this is Broeckx's SECOND moto crash of the season. My initial assumption was that this was fog-of-war misreporting bard on confusion with KBK, and it took quite a bit of research before I felt satisfied that Broeckx had somehow suffered this twice.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Re:

jsem94 said:
Really? That is insane. Terrible luck.

Yes. Terrible luck.

What I would like to know is if his luck doubly terrible, i.e., the probably of a rider being involved twice is incredibly small and the probably of being that rider is also small, or if the probably of a rider being involved twice is actually quite substantial and he just happened to be unlucky to be that guy.

If what I fear about the safety culture of the UCI is right, that it is horrible, then I fear it is the latter. The risk of getting involved, and thus of getting involved twice, is not as small as it should be.

kskjerping: Two motorcycles crashed into the Belgium Tour peloton on Saturday, causing a serious crash that ultimately cancelled the stage. Many riders were involved. I was one of them and this is how my Tour ended. I have road rash all over my body, and my elbow is just getting worse. I'm in a lot of pain because of the loss of so much skin. X-rays say that I have no fractures, but wil do some more scans this week. They tell me that I'm lucky. It could have been much worse. For some riders, like Stig Broeckx, who is currently in a coma, it was much worse.
What a nightmare. We are risking our lives because the UCI won't take responsibility to address this issue. Why are all these incidents with motorcycles and not service cars? Because the directors are all retired cyclists, and they know how to pass the peloton in a safe way. Cycling is in many ways an extreme sport, and if you never did a race you could never imagine how intense it is.

We were going In 80 km/h when two motos came past us on the left on the bike path. It happened on a steep decent, before a right turn. The bike path stopped, and they both slipped on the grass lost control and came sideways trough the peloton. Don't tell me that's bad luck. It's just crazy, and it has to stop!

My thoughts are with Stig, his team, family and friends. Hope you wake up soon!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGCr6vftbns/

His situation is not getting better. He had to undergo two operations today, something that the doctors were trying to avoid.

Because of the increased intracranial pressure Stig Broeckx had to undergo two operations today, which stabilised the intracranial pressure again. Stig will need to stay in an induced coma for a while to let his body recover from the injuries and surgery. At the moment no prognosis can be made.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Not since the surgery update, as far as I know.

However, I doubt we're going to hear anything until at least tomorrow. If we do hear something sooner, then it's probably bad news.

BTW, the surgery itself wasn't exactly what the doctors were fearing for; they were fearing for his condition to develop in such a way that it would necessitate surgery. Sadly, his condition turned out to be bad enough to warrant surgery and that's not a good sign (understatement).

And don't glance over the part that states that "no prognosis can be made at this time"; it's bad.

I hope he makes it and recovers up to a point in which he can lead a relatively normal life.

TRENDING THREADS