Sunweb burnout

I've heard various people talk about sunweb being a 'talent factory' and how professional and strict (some say overly so) they are with their riders, but is this causing them to burn out and have shorter careers.
Kittel retired very early and now dumoulin has taken unpaid leave from jumbo. Obviously that's only two riders and I'm sure they have their own separate issues (injuries etc.) but as they are also two of the biggest sunweb 'success stories' it begs the question is it an environment which is good for the riders long term future?
More broadly speaking with the increasing professionalisation of younger riders could this become a more common occurrence?

I dont know why this thread is called Sunweb burnout
Seems a bias dig at Sunweb which is a bit rich...While Dumoulin & Kittel and Wawa were at Sunweb they were fine...its when they left they hit troube

And is not like other teams are not riding their young riders as leaders in GT .....UAE, INEOS ,etc ..I thought Sunweb gave Dumoulin plenty time to develop a sa rider

And anyway Sunweb follow the science very carefully and DONT put pressure on riders , if anything they treat them like kinder garden attendees which many riders dont like when they start winning big

If I were to pick one team where I wanted to develop it would be at Sunweb

What Dolly said.

Jumbo always felt like a bad fit for Dumoulin to me. He was under one kind of pressure being the sole GC leader at Sunweb, but having to compete with several leaders at TJV doesn’t seem to have taken any of that pressure off him.

Reactions: Salvarani
I heard it was getting a contract offer from Sunweb which sent Pete Kennaugh into hiatus.

And van Keirsbulck pulling in a group which contained a Sunweb-rider which has caused him to be blacklisted.

While I wouldn't consider Dumoulin and Kittel appropriate examples, there were a number of Sunweb riders burning out at very young age.

Lennard Kamna took a 6 month break from cycling in 2018 when he looked primed for a breakthrough season. He later came back and had a decent season in 2019 but he never reached his true potential until joining Bora in 2020.

Daan Olivier quit cycling at 22 after having a very promising season in 2014. After a 2 years hiatus he signed for Lotto-Jumbo and never looked like the rider he was.

Max Kanter also took a 6 month break from cycling in 2019. Some say it was an injury but the situation was a bit unclear.

To me it's pretty clear the team's approach is not for everyone. Some riders (and I would include Dumoulin) benefit from it, some others don't. Hard to assess if the approach has long term consequences on riders' health/motivation/etc but I wouldn't completely rule it out.

While I wouldn't consider Dumoulin and Kittel appropriate examples, there were a number of Sunweb riders burning out at very young age.

Lennard Kamna took a 6 month break from cycling in 2018 when he looked primed for a breakthrough season. He later came back and had a decent season in 2019 but he never reached his true potential until joining Bora in 2020.

Daan Olivier quit cycling at 22 after having a very promising season in 2014. After a 2 years hiatus he signed for Lotto-Jumbo and never looked like the rider he was.

Max Kanter also took a 6 month break from cycling in 2019. Some say it was an injury but the situation was a bit unclear.

To me it's pretty clear the team's approach is not for everyone. Some riders (and I would include Dumoulin) benefit from it, some others don't. Hard to assess if the approach has long term consequences on riders' health/motivation/etc but I wouldn't completely rule it out.
Maybe the OCD-ridden approach takes a lot out of you and many can't keep it up for a long time.
I don't want to compare them to a scumbag like Locatelli, but their approach might also not be the best for the longevity of their riders.

I find this much more nuanced than the original post - but you can find this kind of talent vortex in a lot of teams if you look closer. Let's take Ineos in it's various since 2016 you can find more young talent who either retired or never lived up to their billing:
Peter Kennaugh, Alex Peters, Kristoffer Halvorsen, Ian Boswell

Go a bit further back and you can add Josh Edmonson, Dombrowski,

I'm not saything there is nothing peculiar with Sunweb, but this is drawing it a bit far.

...and the real Sunweb-related crime is omitted here - Patrick Gretsch unable to get a new contract post AG2R in 2016.

I'm not sure Sunweb is any stricter than Ineos. I've heard riders talk about how strict Ineos (and also British cycling in general) is. It sounds like I'd put them on the same level, although possibly a different approach which may be where some issues are.

Movistar and to a lesser extent EF are on the opposite side of the spectrum.

There are riders who can't handle the fulls stictness of an Ineos or Sunweb while other riders need a strict environment. Unfortunately for some riders they may never get the opportunity to compete for the team in which they would fit the best in.

I find this much more nuanced than the original post - but you can find this kind of talent vortex in a lot of teams if you look closer. Let's take Ineos in it's various since 2016 you can find more young talent who either retired or never lived up to their billing:
Peter Kennaugh, Alex Peters, Kristoffer Halvorsen, Ian Boswell

Go a bit further back and you can add Josh Edmonson, Dombrowski,

I'm not saything there is nothing peculiar with Sunweb, but this is drawing it a bit far.

...and the real Sunweb-related crime is omitted here - Patrick Gretsch unable to get a new contract post AG2R in 2016.
Boswell rode with Giant-Shimano as a stagiaire!

Also, his retirement was concussion related, not psychological or a ”need to take a break.” It’s arguable that he’s being reckless in continuing to compete in gravel racing.

Boswell rode with Giant-Shimano as a stagiaire!

Also, his retirement was concussion related, not psychological or a ”need to take a break.” It’s arguable that he’s being reckless in continuing to compete in gravel racing.
When you're as strong as Boswell is, gravel racing is more like an ITT than mass start racing so the risk is very reduced.

ASK THE COMMUNITY