• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tamest opening GT stage

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Prime contender in the offing today.

cWJzIIM.jpg

Other nominations please.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I know your talking about the parcours, but just got to say, no one can call the finale of today's stage tame. Pretty epic final for a sprint stage. :)

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Afrank said:
I know your talking about the parcours, but just got to say, no one can call the finale of today's stage tame. Pretty epic final for a sprint stage. :)

That was a pretty cool sprint.

Also, how do people think this stage compares to the traditional prologue?

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Afrank said:

It's like saying Justin Bieber was singing a good song for once. It still will be garbish.

williamp78 said:
That was a pretty cool sprint.

Also, how do people think this stage compares to the traditional prologue?

Prologues > Scheldeprijs clones. "Right, I'm going to draw ten names out of a hat, and those ten will receive injuries. The next 20 I draw will crash but be OK. The rest can roll around a park for an hour before having a sprint".

If they're going to have a road stage as the first stage, that's not a problem, but they could at least have made it an interesting road stage.

This is the original parcours for this stage:
giro-d-italia-2013-stage-1-profile-1024x650.jpg

Note the more interesting profile that allows for more different possibilities. Or, alternatively, look at today's parcours:
2013_giro_d_italia_stage1_profile.png

and wonder, how much more interesting would the race have been if the stage were run in reverse? Alternatively they could have had the same laps but alternating the flat circuit and the hilly circuit, or done the flat circuits first then the hilly circuits to finish, to make for a more interesting parcours whilst still being able to compromise with those in charge at Napoli that wanted to show off the city improvements they've made.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
GTs have some easy stages. Different teams do the work, different riders get a chance to win. A grand tour does not comprise 21 GC stages.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
It's the first stage of the Giro, so people will still watch, I reckon. A straightforward final few kms would be better though.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I agree that long TTTs have little or no place in GTs. But my god they are amazingly good fun to ride. Which is perhaps why I personally don't find them dull viewing.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Some of you need to read up on the business end of the GT's before going off on stage profiles for your entertainment. This stage probably garnered the city of Napoli a boat load of profits for its local business and they are who the stage was made for, not you's. Next time you're in a start/finish city talk to the local business people, they'll give you the reality of why a particular city is chosen over another and why they would give their left ... arm to have the city re-host a stage and have both the finish and start be in their city which is a double win for them. Heck read up on the local city politics and how much they spend to get to be a host city, you will flip your lids.

The original designed stage was in Napoli too, and was a clearly better stage. As I mentioned, you could even keep the flatter circuits, but do things in the opposite order with the flat loops first and the hillier loops second. The whole stage was televised, so it wasn't like you were screwing over one group of businesspeople etc.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
ElChingon said:
Some of you need to read up on the business end of the GT's before going off on stage profiles for your entertainment. This stage probably garnered the city of Napoli a boat load of profits for its local business and they are who the stage was made for, not you's. Next time you're in a start/finish city talk to the local business people, they'll give you the reality of why a particular city is chosen over another and why they would give their left ... arm to have the city re-host a stage and have both the finish and start be in their city which is a double win for them. Heck read up on the local city politics and how much they spend to get to be a host city, you will flip your lids.

You must think us pretty ignorant if you really think none of us know that.