• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TDF 2011 Lineup Announced // No Geox - Will Menchov leave? Will Geox fold?

Menchov will

• Move to other team (not Astana)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Will Menchov leave? Will Geox fold?

Contador didnt switch teams to defend his jersey in 07, but then he had less time. We are still in the off season kind of. Few months till serious racing starts. Does Menchov have time? Who will take him. Radioshack? Will he go?

And if so does Geox then fold?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
He'll stay and win the Giro Vuelta double a la Contador in 2008 :p

:p

That's the thing though. If he had Contador's abilities it would make sense for a team to buy him out. A certain TDF victory will pay itself back.
Menchov probably negotiated a very nice paycheck that nobody else is going to cough up.

I'm really interested to know this as well. If I were Menchov, I'd consider it. With Contador out, this is going to be his best chance to win the TdF. I think he could beat Andy Schleck if he's at his best.

Does anyone know why Denny left Rabobank anyway?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
This is a gift from the heavens for Riis. If he's smart, he'll get Menchov.

that would be a great idea for everyone :cool: well except geox :S... I really hope Menchov makes it to the tdf though, if he is on top form he could make a good challenge for victory and i would have him as my joint favourite for 2nd place behind little schleck.

LOL @ this Tour. The 1st and 3rd places from last year likely won't even race.

Leopard-Schleck indeed. This year's Tour might be even more boring than usual.

Though, I think hrotha has it right. I bet Mechov scoots over to SaxoGard. Contador helps Valverde walk Piti this season.

rzombie1988 said:
I'm really interested to know this as well. If I were Menchov, I'd consider it. With Contador out, this is going to be his best chance to win the TdF. I think he could beat Andy Schleck if he's at his best.

Does anyone know why Denny left Rabobank anyway?

IMO, he needs more TT km to beat Schleck

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Seeing as this is all happening before the team's presentation, it wouldn't surpsise me if they do fold. Lets a lot of good riders let down, but none are such big names that thee would be a major fuss.

With Geox being left out of Tirreno-Adriatico as well could we be looking at a Giro snub to boot?

Since two wildcards are already taken (Farnese Vini and Androni) they probably need to beat out either Acqua & Sapone or Colnago.

Who was it that said they could be this year's Unibet?

The article does point out that fewer teams have been invited than in the past so there's still a chance they could be added to T-A but things are looking rather grim for Geox. Glad I only have Cobo on my team.