• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TDF 2014 KOM Jersey

Who's gonna take it?

• The Vino/Laurent Jalabert Option: please specify your (former) sprinter

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Don't think there is a thread yet..?

Who do you think is going to take this?

I'm hoping for a good fight (like Voeckler/Kessiakoff 2012) but I've not seen anyone come out and say they are targeting it.

Past Winners:
2004 Richard Virenque (FRA)
2005 Michael Rasmussen (DEN)
2006 Michael Rasmussen (DEN)
2007 Mauricio Soler (COL)
<s>2008 Bernhard Kohl(AUT)
2009 Franco Pellizotti(ITA)</s>
2010 Anthony Charteau (FRA)
2011 Samuel Sánchez (ESP)
2012 Thomas Voeckler (FRA)
2013 Nairo Quintana (COL)

No poll as I have no idea who to put in it! Give me some options and I'll create one...

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
BeagRigh said:
No poll as I have no idea who to put in it! Give me some options and I'll create one...

There's only one winner:p

Purito-Rodriguez-levanta-los-b_54294117010_54115221152_960_640.jpg

Other names are Rolland, Navarro, Acevedo, Riblon, Voeckler, but mosly the big climbers like Contador, Froome, Valverde, Nibali. Remember Quintana won it last year.

Some outsiders
Frank Schleck, Mathias Frank, Jose Mendes, Tiago Machado, Yuri Trofimov, Jose Serpa, Chris Horner (who knows), Darwin Atapuma

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Not easy at all this year : last year the MTFs dominated the table so much that it was very likely a big gun would take it. This year it is more open as a breakaway guy could get a faire amount of points before reaching la Planche des Belles filles.

If a strong climber loses lots of time on the cobbles or from crashes in the first 4/5 stages, you might have one of those guys going for it.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Andy! :D No, I wish. But I doubt he cares even a little bit about it.

I say Rodriguez. He'll be chasing stage wins and trying to get in form for the Vuelta so will probably go in plenty of breaks where he can grab lots of points. Plus he can stay with the big contenders or place high with them on MTF's where they come into the finish together.

Would be a nice target for Andy IMO, but yes I doubt it would motivate him.

The only downside for Rodriguez is he might not get that much co-operation in a break. Who's going to work hard when they are certain of getting smoked on the last climb...

Afrank, if I give you options are you able to add a poll?

Afrank said:
Only a admin can. But you could go ahead and post the options. I can ask a admin to do it in the mod section.

Thanks!

1. Purito
2. Voeckler
3. Rolland
4. Acevedo
5. Riblon
6. Atapuma
7. A Schleck Brother (please specify)
8. A "main" GC Contender (Froome, Contador, Nibs, Valverde)
9. Other (please specify)
10. Vino Option: Sagan whilst collecting Green Jersey Points

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
BeagRigh said:
Would be a nice target for Andy IMO, but yes I doubt it would motivate him.

The only downside for Rodriguez is he might not get that much co-operation in a break. Who's going to work hard when they are certain of getting smoked on the last climb...

Afrank, if I give you options are you able to add a poll?
I agree,but that is really sad and organiser should do something about this
Why is it not so popular?:confused:

Well, IIRC, Garmin gave a hint on their twitter account, that Acevedo may target it. On the other hand, they say it's all for Talansky, so considering a slight lack of climbing depth in their roster, I can't see Janier being in a breakaway every second mountain stage, leaving Talansky alone in the mountain, and that's pretty much what would be required for a rider like him to have a shot at it.

Maybe if one of the group: Slagter, Howes or King, exceeds expectations and is able to stay with Talansky in the group of 25 riders pretty much every mountain stage, then Acevedo may be given a bit more of a freedom. Slagter could be a good bet, but only in his spring's form, which seems to be no longer the case looking at TdS. Or if kind of a misfortune happens to Andrew early in the race so he is no longer in the hunt for GC podium, then Acevedo may get a free role.

A GC "loser" or secondary rider will take it.

And J-Rod won't be a break artist, he will strike after the 2nd rest day on one of the two MTFs from the favorites group. Best possibility of a stage win, especially if he is way down in GC.

Just my opinion.

Taaramae, Rechenbach, Gautier, Timmer, Serpa or Kadri will be in play for the KOM, but its pure guesswork.

I'm voting for Rolland. He targeted the GC at the Giro but I don't see him doing anything like as well against the competition here. Therefore best for him to shed some time early, gets in lots of breaks, be visible to French public and hopefully take a mountain stage (or two!) and the KOM jersey.

I think Anderis hit on why this jersey is not as popular as it should and used to be. In these days of more controlled racing most the riders who have the talent to get into multiple breaks in the mountains are tied to working for the GC leader. Acevedo and Atapuma obviously start of in this category. That said I think the later will be released as I don't see TJVG's high GC ambitions lasting too long; Stetina should be enough help to keep him in the top 10.

TRENDING THREADS