• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TdF - Breakaway Stage

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
OK folks! Place your bets (I don't mean that literally, or this thread is going to be moved) BUT, if you had (theoretically) to place your money on one of the stages in the Tour going to the break, which one would it be?

For my (hypothetical) money, the favourite has to be Stage 16. Long into the tour, descent finish, ITT the next day....

Hang it all! I'm going breakaway AND francais.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Stage 9
lets round up the usual suspects, Voekler, Louis leon Sanchez, casar amd Chavanel. Ill go with Louis Leon Sanchez

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
xanadu said:
Stage 9
lets round up the usual suspects, Voekler, Louis leon Sanchez, casar amd Chavanel. Ill go with Louis Leon Sanchez

Hmm, I really can't see how Luis Leon Sanchez could be a part of that stage, I don't think he'll win any stages in this years TdF. No pun intended :D

Stage 14. It is hilly all day, great terrain, deep in the race, tough GC day coming up, Cav and other pure sprinters might have a hard time so their trains won't pull as hard, Cannondale won't be strong enough alone. And it's right before Bastille Day, I doubt that a Frenchman can take that one, so they'll have to focus on the one before and after.

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
Ventoux, really?

I think it's 50/50
Ventoux nearly always been a breakaway stage. 1970 with Merckx, 1994 with Poli, 2002 with Virenque, 2009 with Garate. The Ventoux is too far from the Champs-Élysées to see a big GC fight. They'll let a breakaway go through, and I'm pretty sure a french guy will try to win it. Bastille Day, Ventoux, all that stuff, I really see a Voeckler or Chavanel going for it.

Linkinito said:
Ventoux nearly always been a breakaway stage. 1970 with Merckx, 1994 with Poli, 2002 with Virenque, 2009 with Garate. The Ventoux is too far from the Champs-Élysées to see a big GC fight. They'll let a breakaway go through, and I'm pretty sure a french guy will try to win it. Bastille Day, Ventoux, all that stuff, I really see a Voeckler or Chavanel going for it.
You are probably right, but somehow I think the MTFs will be contested by the GC riders.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
9, 18, 19.
16 (if they take it too easy in the first half).
5 (if an especially strong group goes, and the teams screw up/don't chase hard enough).

Rajna31 said:
Stage 14. It is hilly all day, great terrain, deep in the race, tough GC day coming up, Cav and other pure sprinters might have a hard time so their trains won't pull as hard, Cannondale won't be strong enough alone. And it's right before Bastille Day, I doubt that a Frenchman can take that one, so they'll have to focus on the one before and after.

Stage 14 is the last sprint before Paris, and the 2nd half really isn't that difficult.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Stage 3

Those narrow undulating roads suits the break. Sagan will let people go up the road that lost time on the first two days so his yellow jersey isn't threatened. I don't think any other team will do a high pace on that stage to bring it back.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
DenisMenchov said:
I'll risk and go with stage 2.
I think Cannondale wants to control this stage.They have to drop Cav and Kittel,maybe Greipel and then Sagan has a chance for a MJ,thats why I dont think breakway won't succeed.

Or maybe you think Sagan will be in the break:D