• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Astana

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Roman looks in great shape and still only preparing for Giro. He'll be a beast there!
If Romandie has one single MTF, he'd be in the lead now, or very at least very near.

Kokoso said:
Roman looks in great shape and still only preparing for Giro. He'll be a beast there!
If Romandie has one single MTF, he'd be in the lead now, or very at least very near.

Roman is very good at those not to hard/not to long mountains (look at the stage to Avoriaz(?) in the 10 tdf) but when it comes to loooong and steep mountians he seems to not be able to follow the best.

edit: ofc i hope im wrong this year :=)

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Roman is very good at those not to hard/not to long mountains (look at the stage to Avoriaz(?) in the 10 tdf) but when it comes to loooong and steep mountians he seems to not be able to follow the best.

edit: ofc i hope im wrong this year :=)
He was very young by that time. Now he has improved. But yeah, he himself says that steep profiles doesnť suit him. But Punta Veleno was ok so I take it as a sign of improvement. And he looks skinnie than ever.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
he has not improved at all. this is kreuziger in 2008, at age 22 in an increidble mountain itt in the tour de suisse, that he also won that year

1 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Liquigas 1.00.22.82 (24,848 km/h)
2 José Rujano Guillen (Ven) Caisse d'Epargne 0.15.73
3 Andreas Klöden (Ger) Astana 0.17.25
4 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre 0.53.29
5 Frank Schleck (Lux) Team CSC 1.26.20
6 Jens Voigt (Ger) Team CSC 1.34.96
7 Igor Anton Hernandez (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi 1.48.46
8 Thomas Lövkvist (Swe) Team High Road 2.08.06
9 Andy Schleck (Lux) Team CSC 2.19.53
10 Laurens Ten Dam (Ned) Rabobank 2.49.74

he's never been close to that again.

Kokoso said:
He was very young by that time. Now he has improved. But yeah, he himself says that steep profiles doesnť suit him. But Punta Veleno was ok so I take it as a sign of improvement. And he looks skinnie than ever.

his biggest problem is probably that he doesn't seem to have found the tt form he had at a younger age, this is troubeling because he is on the paper not good enough to actually attack Rujano/Scarponi/Basso etc in the mountains

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
his biggest problem is probably that he doesn't seem to have found the tt form he had at a younger age, this is troubeling because he is on the paper not good enough to actually attack Rujano/Scarponi/Basso etc in the mountains
He isn't worse in TT than he used to be, that's nonsense. It's about the same level. And he's still very young, that shouldnť be forget, white jersey and 5 place in age of 35 isn't that bad, or is it? Plenty of room for improvement. I expect his climbing improved and/or TT improvement. If TT improves, climbing remain on same level. At least he's still the best Astana has for GT.

Kokoso said:
He isn't worse in TT than he used to be, that's nonsense. It's about the same level. And he's still very young, that shouldnť be forget, white jersey and 5 place in age of 35 isn't that bad, or is it? Plenty of room for improvement. I expect his climbing improved and/or TT improvement. If TT improves, climbing remain on same level. At least he's still the best Astana has for GT.

ofc he can improve, i have said that all along, but i have to see it before i will think about him as a podium candidate :eek:
Edit: i do not think Kiserlovski, nor Kessiakoff is much worse than him in gc, but Kiser have to prove it and Kessiakoff is injured or sick all the time :(

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I think Kessiakoff on top form is the best bet if he stays well, he looked fantastic in the last Vuelta, Kreuziger has looked better for me this year at Romandie and had a good Giro last year, I think he will be just fine in the long run, but yeah in comparison to 2008 you would think he should have won a GT by now like Nibali

I dont know what has happened to his tt I think he needs to set th bike exactly how it was in 2008 because something has gone drastically wrong at some point, Tirreno Adriatico he just looked so out of place on the bike with out any of his usual poise and power that he still has on a road bike

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
he has not improved at all. this is kreuziger in 2008, at age 22 in an increidble mountain itt in the tour de suisse, that he also won that year

1 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Liquigas 1.00.22.82 (24,848 km/h)
2 José Rujano Guillen (Ven) Caisse d'Epargne 0.15.73
3 Andreas Klöden (Ger) Astana 0.17.25
4 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre 0.53.29
5 Frank Schleck (Lux) Team CSC 1.26.20
6 Jens Voigt (Ger) Team CSC 1.34.96
7 Igor Anton Hernandez (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi 1.48.46
8 Thomas Lövkvist (Swe) Team High Road 2.08.06
9 Andy Schleck (Lux) Team CSC 2.19.53
10 Laurens Ten Dam (Ned) Rabobank 2.49.74

he's never been close to that again.
hmmmm..... that explains a lot...;)
gilbertador said:
I think Kessiakoff on top form is the best bet if he stays well, he looked fantastic in the last Vuelta, Kreuziger has looked better for me this year at Romandie and had a good Giro last year, I think he will be just fine in the long run, but yeah in comparison to 2008 you would think he should have won a GT by now like Nibali

Couldnt agree more about Kessiakoff at the Vuelta he looked superb and though he has been hounded by problems since coming over from mountain biking when he has been on top form he has been impressive.
He is also a very good Time triallist and seems to be good all round, problem is he seems to be very prone to illness etc and of course with Brajkovic, Kreuziger, Vino and now Kiserlovski and also guys like Tiralongo etc all who are top climbers he may be hard pressed for opportunities so he needs to repeat his vuelta perfomance last year in a GT by gettting into a good positon in GC early on so as to get some support from his team.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
ofc he can improve, i have said that all along, but i have to see it before i will think about him as a podium candidate :eek:
Edit: i do not think Kiserlovski, nor Kessiakoff is much worse than him in gc, but Kiser have to prove it and Kessiakoff is injured or sick all the time :(
No way, Kiserlovski is far worse, he managed top ten in Giro ONLY because of escape where he took lot of minutes. Last year he was poor, this year better but 11th overall in Basque Tour is nothing showing that he could do well in GC. Kessiakoff is maybe better, but too fragile as you say and that's something you don't need on GT. And this year totally lost until now. So Roman is the best of Astana.

Today he told us something about if his TT ability got worse...doesn't looked like that at all :) And he isn't in top shape although. Rides different way than he used to, attacking, active...signs of good form. If Romandie has only one reasonable climb, he could do better that sixth overall. Today he said he felt good, same as yesterday, getting better day by day since ilness and antibiotics taking (stopped in wednesday).

Kokoso said:
No way, Kiserlovski is far worse, he managed top ten in Giro ONLY because of escape where he took lot of minutes. Last year he was poor, this year better but 11th overall in Basque Tour is nothing showing that he could do well in GC. Kessiakoff is maybe better, but too fragile as you say and that's something you don't need on GT. And this year totally lost until now. So Roman is the best of Astana.

Today he told us something about if his TT ability got worse...doesn't looked like that at all :) And he isn't in top shape although. Rides different way than he used to, attacking, active...signs of good form. If Romandie has only one reasonable climb, he could do better that sixth overall. Today he said he felt good, same as yesterday, getting better day by day since ilness and antibiotics taking (stopped in wednesday).

yes, he proved me wrong today, and i coulnd't be happier :p

Kiserlovski has taken big steps this year, he was one of the strongest in the climbs both in Paris NIce and Vasco + his perfomances in the ardennes that show that his engine has improved immensely over the last couple of years.
His lack of form last year can be partiacly blamed on his horrific crash in the paris nice by the way (where he before that was very strong)

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
search said:
Kreuziger, Tiralongo, Petrov, Kangert, Seeldraeyers, Kessiakoff and Dyachenko have been confirmed so far
That's old information, later Roman said that 100% sure is only him, Tiralongo, Kangert, Petrov and rest yet to be decided. Dyachenko, Seeldrayers are very likely, Ponzi too. One more Italian is sure - Gavazzi/Gasparotto/Guarnieri.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Kiserlovski is going for the tour, and Kessiakoff has shown no form what so ever so doubt it

edit: Ah Kessiakoff is confirmed, well well

Well Kessiakoff did a pretty good TT today he came 33rd(20 places above Basso) so evidently he is getting better (he has had allergy problems)

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
still, i would rather let him go training and come back in top shape for the tour than have him on 85% in the giro

Indeed also because he is a good TT and because there is a bigger chance Brajkovic will muck up at the tour and give Kessaikoff his leadership chance than kreuziger mucking up at the Giro