• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Astana

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nibali won the Vuelta in 2010 :rolleyes:

Last year, so 1 year later, he ended 3th or 2nd (after the suspension of Contador) in the Giro and 7th in the Vuelta.

What do you except from him? That he win every grand tour he rides? He isn't of the same level of Contador, so what, at this moment nobody is.

Saying Nibali is overrated is just idiot.

And Kreuziger... I'm surprised about yesterday. Okay it's true he hasn't make any progress last years but he's normally a certitude 4 a top 10 place in a grand tour.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
he's also not on the level of guys like samu, schlecks, evans, gesink and a number of other gc guys. so how is he ever going to do a podium especially when his itt is far worse than guys like wiggins, menchov, kloden and a number more

He hasn't ridden much against most of these names in TOP shape last time so how can you compare them? I'm not saying he will be at the podium this Tour. But a 5th place would be possible and very good. 3 years ago he ended 7th so I believe he can do better now.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday was depressing, but not totally shocking. It didn't seem like Kreuziger had all that good form thus far in the race. He has been lackluster the whole way through.

But disappointing, nonetheless. I was hopeful for a while there with Tira, too bad that didn't work out either.

Sep 28, 2011
cqmanager.net
Kreuziger is to blame but quite honestly, I dont remember any GT contender to bonk to the point where he is so drained that he needs to stop and get off the bike during a race. Lets wish him luck and hopefully next year he will join a team that is able to provide better nutrition advice/support as it seems obvious that he was dehydrated and running on empty. Unfortunately some riders are like little kids that need to be fed and reminded to eat/drink not just during the race ...

I think Astana has $$$ but otherwise (training, nutrition,gear) they just cant compete with those of Sky,Garmin and other top teams.

CQmanager said:
Kreuziger is to blame but quite honestly, I dont remember any GT contender to bonk to the point where he is so drained that he needs to stop and get off the bike during a race. Lets wish him luck and hopefully next year he will join a team that is able to provide better nutrition advice/support as it seems obvious that he was dehydrated and running on empty. Unfortunately some riders are like little kids that need to be fed and reminded to eat/drink not just during the race ...

I think Astana has $$$ but otherwise (training, nutrition,gear) they just cant compete with those of Sky,Garmin and other top teams.

they did not exactly go empty in LBL :p

They need to find a new GC Contender. Kreuziger isn't good enough.
He's neither a Very Good climber nor a very good Time trialer.
He's good at finishing between 5th-10th in Grand Tours:p
Only way he can podium in a GT is if the field is very weak..

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Fetisoff said:
Well, OK. I BELIEVE that Kiserlovski will be a solid GT contender (way better than Taaramae at least). Does that sound better to you?

Well, Astana have a stage win and a man in top-10, so not much worse than Androni, if you ask me

And this opinion is based on....?

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
GT wise, not very much.
But if you look at how strong he has been this year + that he has proven to be capable of a good race in a gt before (10th in the giro 10) it is atleas a fair assumption

Taaramäe has proven that he is capable of a good race in a GT aswell, too bad he hasn't been able to show anything this year yet because of injuries and illnesses, but he will be doing his first race tomorrow and hopefully by the end of the year, we can say, who is more capable of being a world-class GT rider :)

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
What had happened is a very sad for any rider. I don't know, the problems he is mentioning with cramps not ony in legs, but also in arms and neck can be a serious, friend of mine had something similar, caused by a tick - took whole year to get better and still he was 2 years in very poor form, his body just refusing to cooperate.
From today's news, the condition was not better, still cramps in the night and after first 20km of the stage again in the whole body - so it doesn't look good.
I hope RK will get better; if not going gor GT but for stages only, I believe it can be (to surprise of many) entertaining. (Ryo, please don't comment on the last sentence, thank you. We all know what would you say.)
And all the best to Paolo, he deserves decent placing.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I personally think that everyone here are under rating Kessiakoff.
At least now he will get his chance in the Tour as Brajkovic will undoubtedly lose time early on/crash etc.

Froome19 said:
I personally think that everyone here are under rating Kessiakoff.
At least now he will get his chance in the Tour as Brajkovic will undoubtedly lose time early on/crash etc.

Atleast they will go into the mountains with Kessiakoff and Brajcoiv as leaders. Then we will see what happens with Kiserlovski, Kash, Vino etc.

WOuldn't suprise me if Iglinsky did it well in this years tour either (giro 08 where he was amazing)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
WOuldn't suprise me if Iglinsky did it well in this years tour either (giro 08 where he was amazing)
I really hate the idea of the team trying to retrofit him into stage racer guy.

It may ruin him as a great classics rider.

I was even afraid to ask him that question in a meeting with fans as to not to give people bad ideas.

TRENDING THREADS