• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team DSM thread

Dimension Data ditching Cervelo because they're behind in research and development and now Sunweb picking them up after splitting with Giant because of the same reason. So who got the better deal now? Sunweb strikes me as a team who put a lot of thought into decisions like this. Would be weird for them to sign with a manufacturer that is behind in development. I haven't got the best knowledge about this stuff.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

WKA311 said:
Dimension Data ditching Cervelo because they're behind in research and development and now Sunweb picking them up after splitting with Giant because of the same reason. So who got the better deal now? Sunweb strikes me as a team who put a lot of thought into decisions like this. Would be weird for them to sign with a manufacturer that is behind in development. I haven't got the best knowledge about this stuff.
Isn't Cervelo known for still having top level TT bikes?

Sunweb has one of the most interesting teams on the wt for next season imo.

Dumoulin will ofc be a factor in GT’s yet again, Michael Matthews will be competitive in a lot of races (not the most exciting rider I know) and I’m especially looking forward to see how Søren Kragh will do in the classics. His development has been great the last two years and with good preparation he can be a legit outsider in the spring classics.

They’ve also made som promising signings with Hirsci, Pedersen, Kanter and Power. Great team.

Re:

Bushman said:

Dumoulin will ofc be a factor in GT’s yet again, Michael Matthews will be competitive in a lot of races (not the most exciting rider I know) and I’m especially looking forward to see how Søren Kragh will do in the classics. His development has been great the last two years and with good preparation he can be a legit outsider in the spring classics.

They’ve also made som promising signings with Hirsci, Pedersen, Kanter and Power. Great team.

I'm really looking forward to watch the progress of a lot of young riders they (will) have. They already have some young Aussies, Hamilton, Storer and Hindley. Last one rode a good Vuelta imo. Next year they will have the more grown Power as well. With Matthews they got a nice Australian squad there.

If you look at the CQ-score of Sam Oomen, you'll notice a very nice steady growth. I expect him to grow further, hope he'll get an opportunity in Vuelta for example to ride for his own.

Kragh Andersen is really a beast, looking forward to see him in the spring classics.

Kanter I don't know much about. Have seen Hirschi only in the U23 WC RR. Looking promising.

I'm a bit worried about the Belgium guys, Theuns and Vervaeke. I think they still got potential, but didn't show a lot this year.

Dumoulin will have a nice Tour support squad in potential: Oomen, Kelderman, Roche, Power, Matthews, Kragh Andersen and I guess one of the youngsters.

Yeah, probably Hindley. Hirschi needs some experience at WT level first. He will have his GT debut at next year's Vuelta I guess.
I'm not so sure about Power. Haga, Arndt and Hamilton are good and useful, more experienced riders.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Kanter is a sprinter

I'd say he is more than just a sprinter though. The guy can TT pretty decently, is really good at the Classics and climbs quite well. Finishing 29th at the road race in Innsbruck or attacking in the Alps during the Tour de l'Avenir shows his versatility and his huge talent.
One of the most interesting riders to look at in the future imo

Re: Re:

Vesica said:
Bushman said:

I'm really looking forward to watch the progress of a lot of young riders they (will) have. They already have some young Aussies, Hamilton, Storer and Hindley. Last one rode a good Vuelta imo. Next year they will have the more grown Power as well. With Matthews they got a nice Australian squad there.

If you look at the CQ-score of Sam Oomen, you'll notice a very nice steady growth. I expect him to grow further, hope he'll get an opportunity in Vuelta for example to ride for his own.

Kragh Andersen is really a beast, looking forward to see him in the spring classics.

Kanter I don't know much about. Have seen Hirschi only in the U23 WC RR. Looking promising.

I'm a bit worried about the Belgium guys, Theuns and Vervaeke. I think they still got potential, but didn't show a lot this year.

Dumoulin will have a nice Tour support squad in potential: Oomen, Kelderman, Roche, Power, Matthews, Kragh Andersen and I guess one of the youngsters.
That would be an excellent TDF squad, would add Haga for the flat horsepower or Hindley for small mountains

I would presume /hope Benoot will continue trying for classics and some stage wins until he does a Dumoulin and accidentally almost wins a Vuelta. And I’d putOomen and Kelderman at about that level fThey have some good classics riders, but nobody that’s an obvious chance for a high GT GC finish.

they have an exceptional record in development of riders in GTs/mountains, TTs, cobbled classics and sprints. The one area that is bad is the attrition rate which is so far 100%. So far when one leader has left another has stepped up. I am curious to see who will it be next season.

Anybody know the program Sunweb is putting together for Van Wilder (19) & Arensman (20)? Both finished on the podium of Tour de l'Avenir (Arensman in 2018, Van Wilder in 2019) and will turn pro for Sunweb next month. But while Arensman is mucking about in CX, trying not to finish last, Van Wilder is supposed to go on training camp with the team? Or wil Arensman join? I assume they will ride a lot of the same program, given the fact they are only 6 months apart in age, and both are supposed to focus on GC in the future (or has this changed for Arensman?).

TRENDING THREADS