• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team DSM thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
When asked about it afterwards, his reaction was basically; "Where did that come from?"
Also, from what I understood, the weird thing was that they wanted to change his position - because of the new bikes - while he wanted to stick with the old.
The latter could be, but now I am guessing, that the bike fitter established a new position, which SKA did not trust/like and wanted to revert last minute.

Reactions: RedheadDane
I didn't intend to post on this forum anymore, but there are too many untruths floating around here.

1/ Van Wilder IS still training, daily. But he's training with no goal in sight.

2/ Van Wilder has been biting his lip for months. The only time he has come forward about the issue, is through his instagram post last week. This was a direct response to the Wielerflits article. Wielerflits broke the story, Kemna responded, Van Wilder reacted. Stating he has been crying in the media is factually untrue.

3/ He was injured last year, he had been struggling with an ongoing knee injury and the team was well aware he would not be able, nor wanted to ride the Vuelta in that condition. This was not something that popped up at the eleventh hour as DSM claims.

4/ Van Wilder got no support from the team riding the Belgian NC ITT. His personal manager had to make sure he got the equipment he needed. In the article, Kemna now conveniently states that they decided it was no longer feasible for them to support their riders in NC's.

5/ DSM makes certain oral promises to riders before they sign a contract in good faith, which are not included in the actual contract.

6/ They had been changing his program all season. He was supposed to ride Tour de la Provence in February, but was taken off not long before. He then was going to ride Haut Var, but again they took him off the team. They made him wait until the second half of March, when he could finally ride... Nokere Koerse. They have been yanking his chain since last year's Vuelta and never gave him a clear or rational explanation why they were taking him out of all these races. He was also supposed to ride Tour de l'Ain, again they took him off the team. "His goals come later" ... but when that goal (Vuelta) came, they also stripped him of that.

7/ If Van Wilder were such a bad seed, as some here are willing to assume, then why don't DSM just cut him loose and recover his wages to put towards another rider? Clearly the marriage isn't going to work anymore, especially if you're assuming he is a troubleseeker. Why would you want to keep working with someone like that, and why would you assume he would fall in line all of a sudden. The truth is they are very aware Van Wilder isn't the problem, which is why they don't want to let him go and are now doing their best to convince him. DSM treats their riders like 7-year-olds. Or better, like 7-year-olds in a catholic boarding school in the 1950's. Van Wilder not riding the Vuelta now, is a direct result of that. He needed "to be disciplined".

8/ Van Wilder got a "10/10" on his physical report by the team.

I would also like to hear Kemna's explanation why, in a team ran by experts (dixit Kemna) why they have a performance manager, a rather crucial role, who is in fact not an expert at all. The reason why this person got that job might be the complete opposite of the "professionalism" the team claims to be upholding.

I didn't intend to post on this forum anymore, but there are too many untruths floating around here.

1/ Van Wilder IS still training, daily. But he's training with no goal in sight.

2/ Van Wilder has been biting his lip for months. The only time he has come forward about the issue, is through his instagram post last week. This was a direct response to the Wielerflits article. Wielerflits broke the story, Kemna responded, Van Wilder reacted. Stating he has been crying in the media is factually untrue.

3/ He was injured last year, he had been struggling with an ongoing knee injury and the team was well aware he would not be able, nor wanted to ride the Vuelta in that condition. This was not something that popped up at the eleventh hour as DSM claims.

4/ Van Wilder got no support from the team riding the Belgian NC ITT. His personal manager had to make sure he got the equipment he needed. In the article, Kemna now conveniently states that they decided it was no longer feasible for them to support their riders in NC's.

5/ DSM makes certain oral promises to riders before they sign a contract in good faith, which are not included in the actual contract.

6/ They had been changing his program all season. He was supposed to ride Tour de la Provence in February, but was taken off not long before. He then was going to ride Haut Var, but again they took him off the team. They made him wait until the second half of March, when he could finally ride... Nokere Koerse. They have been yanking his chain since last year's Vuelta and never gave him a clear or rational explanation why they were taking him out of all these races. He was also supposed to ride Tour de l'Ain, again they took him off the team. "His goals come later" ... but when that goal (Vuelta) came, they also stripped him of that.

7/ If Van Wilder were such a bad seed, as some here are willing to assume, then why don't DSM just cut him loose and recover his wages to put towards another rider? Clearly the marriage isn't going to work anymore, especially if you're assuming he is a troubleseeker. Why would you want to keep working with someone like that, and why would you assume he would fall in line all of a sudden. The truth is they are very aware Van Wilder isn't the problem, which is why they don't want to let him go and are now doing their best to convince him. DSM treats their riders like 7-year-olds. Or better, like 7-year-olds in a catholic boarding school in the 1950's. Van Wilder not riding the Vuelta now, is a direct result of that. He needed "to be disciplined".

8/ Van Wilder got a "10/10" on his physical report by the team.

I would also like to hear Kemna's explanation why, in a team ran by experts (dixit Kemna) why they have a performance manager, a rather crucial role, who is in fact not an expert at all. The reason why this person got that job might be the complete opposite of the "professionalism" the team claims to be upholding.

It's just mind-boggling how they refuse to ever change their ways.

And it is quite annoying, actually, that they have mamaged to amass a few wins the last couple of weeks.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Interesting what will happen to Storer next season after his departure. Will he get better or worse? Hirschi for example is way of his last year.

I think that puncheurs and sprinters are more likely to perform worse when they move teams, climbers seem to fare better. I think Storer can go for GC in WT stage races next year which is logical step up. Super dom or second leader at TDF for Pinot or Giro for Gaudu.

Ilan Van Wilder raced again yesterday. That's good news you say?

Not really. The only reason why DSM started him again, after exactly 46 days, is because they would otherwise be liable considering there is supposedly a UCI rule that states the team has a responsibility to let fit / healthy / uninjured riders race at least once every 6 weeks.

Nieuwsblad said:
Een andere UCI-regel schrijft voor dat wanneer ploegen weigeren om wedstrijdfitte renners voor een periode langer dan zes weken op te stellen, zij hier een grote fout begaan. Dat is ook de reden waarom Ilan Van Wilder gisteren de GP Wallonie reed en Team DSM zo geen fout begaat.

Translation: "Another UCI rule states that when teams refuse to start race-fit riders for a period longer than six weeks, they are committing a grave error. That is also the reason why Ilan Van Wilder rode the GP Wallonie yesterday and Team DSM does not commit any errors."

What a repulsive team.

Not really. The only reason why DSM started him again, after exactly 46 days, is because they would otherwise be liable considering there is supposedly a UCI rule that states the team has a responsibility to let fit / healthy / uninjured riders race at least once every 6 weeks.

Translation: "Another UCI rule states that when teams refuse to start race-fit riders for a period longer than six weeks, they are committing a grave error. That is also the reason why Ilan Van Wilder rode the GP Wallonie yesterday and Team DSM does not commit any errors."

What a repulsive team.
They're doing the inverse DQS/Lefevere now

So you are saying that it is possible to easily win 2 stages in the Vuelta by being the strongest rider in the break through chance without preparation having anything to do with it?
All I was thinking when Storer won those stages, is that he's leaving the team and was 'punished' because he broke the Covid bubble during a team stage in the Alps, about the same thing that Kemna himself did with the team bubble in the Tour.
Every team can have some wins in the pro tour if they have a budget and staff, for sure a team that is trying to get young talents like DSM. No need to give DSM too much credit for Storer's wins.

What a repulsive team.
A little bird told me that Felix Gall is also pretty happy to get out of that team, can't say that I blame him...

Casper Pedersen was really angry at the team in the danish interview afterwards, saying they ordered him to ride as helper and use all his power in the echellons before TV started as a punishment for a bad Paris-Roubaix, which he felt was really unfair and stupid, as the races were not comparable, and also blaming Cees Bol for attacking when he was supposed to be the sprinter. Sounded a lot like yet another rider could end up leaving the team even if it was in the heat of the moment.

When i said a while ago, that Van Wilder got a lot of mental support from riders on his team supporting his decision to flip DSM the bird, i wasn't kidding. I don't know if Pedersen was one of them, but i have a feeling he will be now. Let's hope in the not so distant future more riders will speak up and get this cult exposed.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS