• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team DSM thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What I find weird about this whole Pedersen Story is that Danish media doesn't appear to mention it at all. You'd think they'd be all over a story like this; Danish defending champion of a major race is forced for forfeit his own chances at defending his title, maybe because he admitted that he might not have given his all at another major race the week before, due to already being focused on this race and not wanting to get injuried.

Even in a toxic environment as DSM is, I imagine training-wise is miles ahead of what the french teams are doing.

I suspect that you are right about this. They probably have a self-consciously ultra-modern approach to training, at the opposite end of the spectrum to the mostly conservative French teams. Which doesn’t mean that they don’t also have a weird, intense team culture..

Even in a toxic environment as DSM is, I imagine training-wise is miles ahead of what the french teams are doing.

If only Pinot did the same, he could have done nicer things in his career instead of wasting so many years with Madiot.
I don't see a big gap between how good Bardet was at AG2R and how good he is at DSM. Look at the results they got out of O'Connor, to me AG2R don't really fit the narrative of the backwards French team.
Back to DSM, what they lack is a top sprinter. They have the train but Bol is not the guy to beat the big boys on a regular basis.

If only Pinot did the same, he could have done nicer things in his career instead of wasting so many years with Madiot.

I think it also could be that having very strict controls over training can have some initial success but riders can be worn down by the restrictions and discipline which seems to match with Sunweb/DSM riders leaving after a few years with the team. I see it as analogous to coaches in team sports who like to scream and shout at their players in training - often they will get some immediate results but 'lose the dressing room' over the long term.

I don't see a big gap between how good Bardet was at AG2R and how good he is at DSM. Look at the results they got out of O'Connor, to me AG2R don't really fit the narrative of the backwards French team.
Back to DSM, what they lack is a top sprinter. They have the train but Bol is not the guy to beat the big boys on a regular basis.

I don't know how true that is, but well, Bardet himself says he's better than before - only the other riders, especially the young ones, are also better, the whole level of the peloton has increased. Don't know how much clinic insinuation there is in this, and how much this is just a generally better training understanding in the peloton, and whether his numbers are actually better than before and how much of that is to do with DSM...
Anyway, he seems content. Maybe it actually suits him and maybe it's also something that he needs to tell himself because he made that decision. Still, I think for the majority of people such a regime is insufferable, so I just hope everyone who signs there gets the truth before the signing and has other options as well.

Bardet to me is about the same level but he is on a different program. He mostly needed a break from the Tour. He could have done better in GC at either Giro or Vuelta, I thought. Though he did fight hard to the finish of the Giro after Hindley dropped out.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I don't know how true that is, but well, Bardet himself says he's better than before - only the other riders, especially the young ones, are also better, the whole level of the peloton has increased. Don't know how much clinic insinuation there is in this, and how much this is just a generally better training understanding in the peloton, and whether his numbers are actually better than before and how much of that is to do with DSM...
Anyway, he seems content. Maybe it actually suits him and maybe it's also something that he needs to tell himself because he made that decision. Still, I think for the majority of people such a regime is insufferable, so I just hope everyone who signs there gets the truth before the signing and has other options as well.
Bardet during TDF 2020 was following the favorites until his crash and he was saying "they were riding faster than ever". He was still at AG2R then. So he was going faster than ever at AG2R, according to his own statements.

Bardet during TDF 2020 was following the favorites until his crash and he was saying "they were riding faster than ever". He was still at AG2R then. So he was going faster than ever at AG2R, according to his own statements.
Yes, that's definitely true. He looked really good in 2020. But I expected him to fade at some point. Recall that G. Martin was also up there in 2020.

Bardet is one of my favorite riders but I think I'm basing that on his early/mid 20s form when he went toe to toe with Froome at the Tour. After the euphoria of 2016-1017 nothing really went right for him.

I still hope and think he's got a GT podium in him, maybe at the Vuelta? but 2020 notwithstanding I don't think it would have been at AG2R. I also think he can win a classic or biggish one-day race with the right kind of finish.

Yes, that's definitely true. He looked really good in 2020. But I expected him to fade at some point. Recall that G. Martin was also up there in 2020.

Bardet is one of my favorite riders but I think I'm basing that on his early/mid 20s form when he went toe to toe with Froome at the Tour. After the euphoria of 2016-1017 nothing really went right for him.

I still hope and think he's got a GT podium in him, maybe at the Vuelta? but 2020 notwithstanding I don't think it would have been at AG2R. I also think he can win a classic or biggish one-day race with the right kind of finish.

It's very difficult if the one day races he contests are also done by Roglic, Pogacar, Alaphilippe... On his day he may win against Woods, Gaudu, Pinot, but there will probably always be one of those super-big names who has a better sprint than him. And he doesn't really have a teammate he can play games with. Ironically, I think, if he had stayed at AG2R, there might now be such an option there with Cosnefroy, if he's in top form.
Right now a GT podium seems more probable to me, because there's a chance that behind the super-names something crazy happens in the Giro or Vuelta. I don't expect it, though. But a podium is just a better bet these days in my opinion, even in a bigger race, than a win in a slightly smaller race.

I’m sure the point of one is that in 2020 he couldn’t attack the leaders like he used to in 2017.

And the point of the new article seems to be as much that he’s now riding faster, on a smaller training load. And who wouldn’t want to get the same results by spending less time working out.

I’m sure the point of one is that in 2020 he couldn’t attack the leaders like he used to in 2017.

And the point of the new article seems to be as much that he’s now riding faster, on a smaller training load. And who wouldn’t want to get the same results by spending less time working out.
In 2017 he wasn't facing Pogacar, Roglic etc. But i'd like to see bardet drop others even in a DSM outfit. Always liked the guy. But i'll have to see it to believe it.

In 2017 he wasn't facing Pogacar, Roglic etc. But i'd like to see bardet drop others even in a DSM outfit. Always liked the guy. But i'll have to see it to believe it.
Roglic was at the Tour in 2017, and won a stage, but he was still relatively new. Bardet was competing with a pretty strong field that year (and the year before) and looking like a dangerous attacker. But he became less and less of a threat each year after.

giphy.gif

Upon writing a contract with that bdsm coach don't forget to agree on a safeword!

A pattern has emerged, and is repeated....If it was 1 or 2 riders leaving dissatisfied, then you could argue maybe it was those riders. However, it's multiple riders, and seems to be a similar issue.

I've said before, if I was a sponsor, I'd want to know why? And what are they going to do to stop it happening, again.

According to Wielerflits Benoot is going to leave team DSM. Things seem to have exploded between him and the team management in recent weeks, and they are now negotiating a solution for him to leave. So thats another captain out.
I checked my messages too late, or else i would have made my post before Wielerflits posted the article. And by the way, the Benoot thing isn't the only thing. They are digging their own hole. To be continued.