• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team DSM thread

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Interesting titbit from the UCI announcement of the new World Tour teams, saying that DSM's license for 2024 and 2025 is conditional on additional financial statements:

TEAM DSM (DSM – NED) – the Licence Commission has made the second and third years of the licence conditional on the provision, during the season, of additional documents related to the financial criterion

Which suggests that the sponsorship situation might not be that rosy at the moment.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
DSM is a good team for most young riders as you are given every chance to develop your talents - Of course like all teams the system does not suit all - And of course they don't have the budget to compete with the top teams - They will have to get it right in the next three years BUT of course it only takes one hidden gem.

If money is not good, people start to change their view on things.

A 20 year old has a contract with DSM, always was happy there. Then good results come, and his manager tells him he could earn a lot more at, let‘s say, Ineos - and immediately. The young guy feels like Pogacar, wants to move into a tax heaven and have a new house and car. Plus, his girlfriend expects expensive rings, watches, clothes, and so on.

Then maybe his manager tells him, „You‘re too good for DSM. You earn more elsewhere. Plus, I (manager) want a nice part of your future (hopefully big) income. So you better spit on DSM!“…

The rider gets confused, and finally decides ti leave DSM. He says: „It‘s all bad there!“. What he means, but doesn‘t say: „DSM is good, but the income there is not good enough.“.

So DSM in the end loses their riders, and their reputation gets damaged every time. They are considered a bad team - whereas I think they are actually great… :)

A 20 year old has a contract with DSM, always was happy there. Then good results come, and his manager tells him he could earn a lot more at, let‘s say, Ineos - and immediately. The young guy feels like Pogacar, wants to move into a tax heaven and have a new house and car. Plus, his girlfriend expects expensive rings, watches, clothes, and so on.

Then maybe his manager tells him, „You‘re too good for DSM. You earn more elsewhere. Plus, I (manager) want a nice part of your future (hopefully big) income. So you better spit on DSM!“…

The rider gets confused, and finally decides ti leave DSM. He says: „It‘s all bad there!“. What he means, but doesn‘t say: „DSM is good, but the income there is not good enough.“.

So DSM in the end loses their riders, and their reputation gets damaged every time. They are considered a bad team - whereas I think they are actually great… :)
You have no idea what you are talking about.

Most riders are loosing their spirit at DSM. Sütterlin hinted that he was really not happy at DSM at an interview and enjoyed racing his bike again at Bahrain.
Even Arndt as one of the most most experienced riders was kind of unhappy at the end with the decicsion making at DSM.
Not everything is bad there but they are over the tops with their strict regime.

If there was a facepalm-emoji, I would use it to react to your post.
DSM is far from great. If what you described happened once it would probably be the case. But riders leaving DSM with bad blood between them and the team happens yearly.
It's not a coincidence anymore. There's clearly something going on there. Ofcourse the team is allowed to handle their riders the way they want to do it. But you could pose yourself the question wether or not it is ethical.
An example:
Rider A wants to lower his saddle, he believes it will relief some pressure on his back and allow him to push harder.
DSM forbids this.
Now is DSM allowed to do so?
This is where DSM in my eyes goes awire. They believe in one way, their way. Riders should do what they're told and there is very little room for their input. Thus this results in riders leaving the team with bad blood. This won't happen in teams (such as QS, FDJ, Movistar) where rider-input is appreciated or in teams with rather loose rules (Cofidis).
Riders leaving the latter with bad blood doesn't happen regularly whereas you with DSM it's like clockwork.

An example:
Rider A wants to lower his saddle, he believes it will relief some pressure on his back and allow him to push harder.
DSM forbids this.
DSM forbids to change it last minute, because in the preparation that saddle height was established. During that preparation the rider provides input. After the race you can discuss it again. To me this does makes sense. It might impact the result in that race (or not), but you will get information for the rest of the year.

They get grief but they're obviously doing something right with these young riders

Pictures of Onley leading out Poole on Thyon 2000 today

80froome1209.jpg

I wonder if Bevin really rides WCRR on Sunday. Have a look at his season of 2023:

What happened to him? His season looks horrible, somehow. Has he been injured?

So it looks like Marco Brenner is the next one out in collision course with DSM.

From the bits I've read on TwitterX, he was apparently left out of the Vuelta team, probably goes someplace else next season and one of the points of disagreement may be him changing his saddle position without approval from the team, despite helping with his injury problems.

TRENDING THREADS