• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Geox

May 2, 2011
Visit site
As the Giro d Italia is only just around the corner, I have begun to question whether Carlos Sastre and Denis Menchov will be able to work together. As previous editions of grand tours has shown us two leaders does not normally work. As this is team Geox main goal for the year, and thus denis and carlos main goal aswell, will they be able to work together to achieve the best result for the team? What do you think?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
climber888 said:
As the Giro d Italia is only just around the corner, I have begun to question whether Carlos Sastre and Denis Menchov will be able to work together. As previous editions of grand tours has shown us two leaders does not normally work. As this is team Geox main goal for the year, and thus denis and carlos main goal aswell, will they be able to work together to achieve the best result for the team? What do you think?

I don't know much about the dynamics or players in GEOX. Menchov and Sastre are proven champions, mature and are not arrogant or selfish. Should be no problem, they both have their strengths and should complement each other rather well.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
I think Sastre has a case to make for leadership these days. Menchov is definitely the boss for this race. Havingsaid that, a) I don't think Sastre will be doing much work for Menchov, and b) I certainly won't be writing Sastre's chances off of doing something for himself. Plenty of time for him to warm up his diesel this Giro, although he is getting on.

Sastre has already acknowledged that his best years are behind him-therefore Menchov is the indisputable leader-but I wouldn't count Carlos out of the race-since we know that Denis sometimes has those awful bad days & there is where Sastre will be handy. To me- the team is tight & have a promising future-specially with Duarte:D

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I think the team will just let the team leadership issue work itself out. The likely outcome is that Menchov will assume team leadership and Sastre will go for the stage win on one of the big mountain stages eg. stage 14 or stage 20

Yeah sastre is past his prime GT winning ways. Top 15 and a stage win likely. But yeah he was bad to the schlecks in 08, no idea who to feel sorry for Cadel or Frank. Also i think Geox have no great riders for flats, they have to utillise their strength in the mountains, to gain time for menchov. Also you can expect they will do a good enough TTT, and will not have menchov dropped on the flats anyways.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
luckily they have enough depth sastre aside.
I'm sure Duarte will still attack also.

I'm sure he will not be allowed to attack but knowing duarte there's a good chance he wont'listen. let's hope

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
I'm sure he will not be allowed to attack but knowing duarte there's a good chance he wont'listen. let's hope

that was my thoughts also.
I remember you saying something about basque, about him not listening there.

If I was Geox I would allow Sastre and Duarte to attack while Menchov tries to keep up with Contador. They still got plenty of other riders that can hang for a while in the mountains to support Menchov. For example Blanco.

The favourites might just let Sastre and Duarte go.

hrotha said:
I'm sure Sastre will work for Menchov like he worked for Tondo.

The problem is that Menchov is of course proven GT-winning class, Tondó hadn't even finished a GT in last year's Vuelta, and had run out of gas after 2 weeks. I can understand why Sastre would be unwilling to sacrifice himself for that as had Sastre bust a gut for Tondó and lost time, then Tondó blew up on Cotobello or Bola del Mundo, Cervélo would have dropped the ball completely.

Sastre may not be a loyal sidekick for Menchov. But Menchov already has enough capable sidekicks in the team - Ardila, Duarte, Blanco. Sastre is a guy who is past his best for sure, but also with his proven calibre is too dangerous for the other GC men not to pay close attention to. His assistance to Menchov may be diversionary rather than direct.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
DenisMenchov said:
Sastre will be to Menchov here as was Vinokurov to Contador in the Tour. Sastre is going for stage wins, and Denis is going for the overall it is as simply as that.

Yup, totally true. Although Sastre needs his 09 Giro form to do that.

greenedge said:
Yeah sastre is past his prime GT winning ways. Top 15 and a stage win likely. But yeah he was bad to the schlecks in 08, no idea who to feel sorry for Cadel or Frank.

How about... neither? Sastre was clearly better than both of them. Cadel and Frank Schleck were toast in the final week, and Andy Schleck had a bad day in the Pyrenees.

All in all a deserved win, IMO.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Willy_Voet said:
I'm sure they'll be willing to hold each others' drip bags.

What, Willy, no space for hangers on the team bus? No hotel rooms with hanging picture frames? Times would have to be awfully tough at Geox. They're a dedicated sponsor, and so I think they've got this one covered.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
greenedge said:
Yeah sastre is past his prime GT winning ways. Top 15 and a stage win likely. But yeah he was bad to the schlecks in 08, no idea who to feel sorry for Cadel or Frank. Also i think Geox have no great riders for flats, they have to utillise their strength in the mountains, to gain time for menchov. Also you can expect they will do a good enough TTT, and will not have menchov dropped on the flats anyways.

Frank had absolutely no hope of winning the Tour regardless of his wearing the leader's jersey at the start of the Alpe d'Huez stage. Remember there was still a time trial looming ahead and Frank commenced to lose major minutes in the ITT. Sastre was the team's last hope of Tour glory and he pulled it out in the most dramatic fashion with the utmost panache. If you looked at the Shleck's after the Alpe d'Huez stage they weren't exactly celebrating Sastre victory and his taking over the leader's jersey. They were both more disappointed in Frank losing the leader's jersey than Sastre gaining it and made it quite clear. Andy had no reason to disparage Sastre considering he blew his chances for Tour success by bonking on an earlier stage and consequently dropping out of the top ten in the gc. They both should've been washing Carlos' feet:D and thanking him for rising to the occasion on Alpe d'Huez and on the pivotal ITT.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:

They would be wise to give Duarte the same latitude that Contador was given at the start of the 2007 Tour. Duarte IMO is an immense talent and to have him simply fetching bottles and blocking the wind for Menchov would truly be a waste. They should utilize his talents with a strategy that makes the other teams have to work to contain him, taking the pressure off Geox and Menchov/Sastre. He is definitely one of the Giro's major wildcards.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Geox again were pretty average (as I predicted) Menchov already has a bit of time to make up. A roleur or two would of been better than having a team stacked with climbers (even if it is the giro).

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Geox again were pretty average (as I predicted) Menchov already has a bit of time to make up. A roleur or two would of been better than having a team stacked with climbers (even if it is the giro).

he's what?? 30 seconds behind contador?? like he's going to make up that time with rouleurs on the flat :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS