• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Intermarché - Wanty - Gobert Matériaux

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Matthews won green in the Tour one year. Please don't tell me that's less visible than winning Gent-Wevelgem.
Every year someone wins green in the TDF. Every year billions of people and news media don't care.
Not every year does an African kid win a major bike race. I could call all my 3 sisters right this instant and ask them what the name ''Michael Matthews'' means to them, and then do the same with Ghirmay. If they recognize one of them, it ain't gonna be Matthews. If neither rings a bell, me describing Matthews' career or that of Ghirmay, the latter will certainly provoke an ''aaah, yes i've heard of him'' will the former would certainly only result in a ''stop wasting my time'' expression.

Every year someone wins green in the TDF. Every year billions of people and news media don't care.
Not every year does an African kid win a major bike race. I could call all my 3 sisters right this instant and ask them what the name ''Michael Matthews'' means to them, and then do the same with Ghirmay. If they recognize one of them, it ain't gonna be Matthews. If neither rings a bell, me describing Matthews' career or that of Ghirmay, the latter will certainly provoke an ''aaah, yes i've heard of him'' will the former would certainly only result in a ''stop wasting my time'' expression.
Perhaps, but many people, myself included, could call their sisters and the answer would be 'never heard of any of them'.

Reactions: firefly3323
Other than bike manufacturers, how many WT team sponsors which are truly global brands anyway? From the first inception of WT, I believe there have been very few of them. Someone like me still have no idea what company half of them are:D, and not always interested in finding out. On top of my head E.F, Garmin, Sky, HTC, and Rabobank are probably the only ones known to general public in my corner of the world.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Other than bike manufacturers, how many WT team sponsors which are truly global brands anyway? From the first inception of WT, I believe there have been very few of them. Someone like me still have no idea what company half of them are:D, and not always interested in finding out. On top of my head E.F, Garmin, Sky, HTC, and Rabobank are probably the only ones known to general public in my corner of the world.
I've bough Soudal in Belgium, Poland and the USA, they're active in over 100 countries. But they are a niche product. Ordinary people don't really buy big tubs of glue in hardware stores.
Hansgrohe is active on the Asian subcontinent afaik.

From the past I can think of: Discovery Channel, 7-eleven, McDonals (Amore & Vita), that obscure Indonesian KFC cycling team, Whirlpool, Bic, Grundig, Omega Pharma, Tenax and Lidl

From current ones, Citroën, Cofidis (in Europe), Groupama (in Europe, although in some countries they might have been changing their brand - in Portugal, Groupama changed name to Una), Intermarché, Movistar and Segafredo are the ones more known. Maybe Soudal in users of DIY shops too.

From current ones, Citroën, Cofidis (in Europe), Groupama (in Europe, although in some countries they might have been changing their brand - in Portugal, Groupama changed name to Una), Intermarché, Movistar and Segafredo are the ones more known. Maybe Soudal in users of DIY shops too.
Don’t forget BORA stoves . . .“Efficace etsilencieux“ (they advertise a lot on French Eurosport race coverage, including their old ads with Sagan)

Don’t forget BORA stoves . . .“Efficace etsilencieux“ (they advertise a lot on French Eurosport race coverage, including their old ads with Sagan)

I don't think they are well known in my corner of Europe. Or at least never noticed them much.

Forget to add Quick Step, in the big DIY stors around here they have some presence in the laminated floors section

E.F is the only one I’ve ever seen in my area as well, Sky would’ve been on the list if they still sponsored.

I don't think they are well known in my corner of Europe. Or at least never noticed them much.

Forget to add Quick Step, in the big DIY stors around here they have some presence in the laminated floors section
I’ve never seen any BORA appliances either, but I have that ad stuck in my head because it’s basically the same ad that’s played during every GT broadcast for the past 3-4 years.

From the past I can think of: Discovery Channel, 7-eleven, McDonals (Amore & Vita), that obscure Indonesian KFC cycling team, Whirlpool, Bic, Grundig, Omega Pharma, Tenax and Lidl

More global American brands were in during those years it seems.

How could I forgot Citroën. Segafredo, too, they use to operate here, only in the biggest cities, and never quite established its market.
And Movistar is Movistar, people know their name and logo even without doing any business here.

Team of the year so far by a long way from a results to money spent viewpoint and also enjoyable to watch.

Yeah, they have been incredible. I assessed quite wisely before last season that they were probably the weakest ever instalment on the WorldTour. Based on how the first few months of last year went by, that wasn't an entirely poor call, but boy have they improved since then.

TRENDING THREADS