• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Intermarché - Wanty - Gobert Matériaux

Most improved team so far this year. Obviously, they have good leaders now in Biniam and Kristoff, but I’ve been very impressed by the performances of their riders a tier down from those two. The other guys in the top half of their roster. They’ve had genuine strength in depth in the classics, not just miracle performances by isolated leaders.

Presumably the big stage races will be less fertile ground for them, but it would be nice to see them take some more GT stages after their three last year.

Is that a fact?

Bigger than Lutsenko, Woods, Kuss, McNulty, Ewan, Haig, Matthews, Powless, Impey?
I completely forgot about Australia, and I argue that the only ones who I would give a pass for the Americas/Africa/Asia would be Woods, who is bigger. Everybody else I feel like is below Girmay in terms of recognition, and this is coming from an American who loves all American riders.

For casual cycling fans or people outside cycling, I think there's a good chance Ghirmay is already more known than any name of that list bar Ewan and possibly Matthews due to his historical achievement in GW.

I have a couple of friends who don't follow cycling that much and were aware of who he was after GW. They don't know who are Haig, Woods, Impey, Lutsenko, etc.

For marketing value, he sells a lot more than most of cyclists now. I would only rank Ewan higher and on certain markets. In broader Europe, in my analysis, I think Ghirmay image is more marketable than Ewan's.

Is that a fact?

Bigger than Lutsenko, Woods, Kuss, McNulty, Ewan, Haig, Matthews, Powless, Impey?

Sporting-wise, he is probably a level below many of those riders.

However, given his background and achievements, marketing-wise he is a much relevant name than almost all of them.

Being the first black rider to win a well established cobbled Classic has surpassed the feats of almost every name in that list, excluding Ewan.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Sporting-wise, he is probably a level below many of those riders.

However, given his background and achievements, marketing-wise he is a much relevant name than almost all of them.

Being the first black rider to win a well established cobbled Classic has surpassed the feats of almost every name in that list, excluding Ewan.

Also Matthews? I don't think so.

I of course forgot Louis Meintjes on my list ;)

Also Matthews? I don't think so.

I of course forgot Louis Meintjes on my list ;)
If you follow cycling (and possibly were away on vacation sometime last month), you would absolutely be correct.
But to someone who doesn't follow cycling, Michael Matthews might just as well be called John Doe. Someone who doesn't follow cycling might also have heard about the first African kid who won a big cycling race last month.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Roku
Matthews and Rusty are the other two I would consider.

The point is, PR wise, who do you think is more relevant as of now? We could argue about one or the other but I think he is one of the most popular riders as of now and, in terms of brand exposure, that is extremely relevant.
It's extremely overrated. He promotes local brands, not global brands.

If you follow cycling (and possibly were away on vacation sometime last month), you would absolutely be correct.
But to someone who doesn't follow cycling, Michael Matthews might just as well be called John Doe. Someone who doesn't follow cycling might also have heard about the first African kid who won a big cycling race last month.

Matthews won green in the Tour one year. Please don't tell me that's less visible than winning Gent-Wevelgem.

• Wow