• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Intermarché - Wanty - Gobert Matériaux

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah, they have been incredible. I assessed quite wisely before last season that they were probably the weakest ever instalment on the WorldTour. Based on how the first few months of last year went by, that wasn't an entirely poor call, but boy have they improved since then.
At the time I also thought that and whilst I thought Girmay was a very astute signing I didn’t think it would pay off so big so soon nor did I think that Jan Hirt could go from handy rider to Giro top 10 GC and stage winner.

Kristoff also felt like Gilbert to Lotto in buying a former monument winner too far gone to win well again but he has been a good influence with Girmay and chipped in some valuable wins.

Apparently there is some drama at Intermarché-Wanty. DS Aike Visbeek has responded to Quinten Hermans, who was unhappy about his non-selection for the Tour. Visbeek accuses Hermans of screwing up the team atmosphere. Is it just Visbeek bringing some DSM-style management to the team, or is Hermans really such a caustic personality?
View: https://mobile.twitter.com/Domestique___/status/1542071785302249472

I don’t like that kind of remark from Visbeek. He should keep his own mouth shut, if he’s so concerned that mouthing off to the press undermines morale.

Apparently there is some drama at Intermarché-Wanty. DS Aike Visbeek has responded to Quinten Hermans, who was unhappy about his non-selection for the Tour. Visbeek accuses Hermans of screwing up the team atmosphere. Is it just Visbeek bringing some DSM-style management to the team, or is Hermans really such a caustic personality?
Aike was at Sunweb in 2017-2019. Andersen is also not coming in Tour for DSM for the same reasons. The answers Aike gives are absolutely mental, it's incredible we have people with this kind of mentality in WorldTour in 2022. How are the sponsors looking at this guy without firing him is beyond me. Same goes for DSM managers. IWG and DSM have been saved from relegation by the same guys they're screwing up.

If anything Visbeek lifted this team to the place where they are now. He is a very reasonable and rational guy so I doubt Visbeek is the problem here.

Allthough he shouldn't have posted this tweet. That kind of contradicts the reasonable/rational guy :D

Reactions: Sandisfan
Oh wait it's not a tweet by him. Just a response on questions during an public interview.

Read the article now. To be honest I don't know what is so shocking about this? Maybe he should've stayed quiet, but I don't think his answers are shocking. They at first didn't want to address the issue, but after Hermans went to the media they decided to give their reasons.

What a shock?

Visbeek is a terrible man. Who also tells lies. The team leaders were completely surprised with the non-selection of Hermans and do not agree. But now they are no longer allowed to talk to the press.

As Hermans himself points out and as can be confirmed by journalists, teammates and team leaders, the atmosphere was fantastic during the Baloise Tour. Everything was done to make Hermans win the queen stage and eventually the General.

After his stage win everyone was happy in the team. Jean-François Bourlart, the CEO makes a huge mistake by letting the team follow the dirty path of DSM. From sympathetic underdog to a rogue team in one day. The work of years thrown away through the fault of Visbeek.

Now waiting for the CEO's response.

Oh wait it's not a tweet by him. Just a response on questions during an public interview.

Read the article now. To be honest I don't know what is so shocking about this? Maybe he should've stayed quiet, but I don't think his answers are shocking. They at first didn't want to address the issue, but after Hermans went to the media they decided to give their reasons.

What a shock?
He's using the argument that a rider, who was fully expecting to go to the TDF and had every reason to based on his results, was critical of the team for only letting him know he wasn't going 4 days in advance, as proof that they made the right call leaving that rider at home.

lol?

My god you guys sure do know how to overreact. It's not about him leaving the team since Kristoff is riding as well so something must be wrong?

You can go burn Visbeek all you want, but without him the team wouldn't have performed like they did this year. Since they made him DS they went from a rogue failure squad to a succesful organised, but still roguelike squad.

Ofcourse Hermans is dissapointed and he looked like a safe bet to ride. Based on performance I would've taken him as well, but putting all the blame on the DS sounds like fanboys looking at from a single perspective.

I think Ghirmay already regrets extending his contract for another two years. He already knows what will happen in 22 months. No Giro, no Tour in 2024....
Unfortunately. However, I liked the sympathetic and growing team until a few days ago. Not anymore. It will be a kind of DSM in the future.

The non-selection of Hermans is a huge sporty failure. Visbeek's nasty reaction is a terrible PR-mistake.

Hahah yeah I'm sure that's what Girmay is thinking now. This is getting hilarious!

Are you guys trolling?
If anything you're the one trolling. The rest of us can read and understand that Visbeek's answers are ambiguous and full of BS. Dude didn't know what lie should give next. Girmay and Hermans were always talented, the reason why the team is so good is because of their scouting dept. Even if Visbeek is so good at perf coach, that doesn't excuse his behavior and attitude.

My god you guys sure do know how to overreact. It's not about him leaving the team since Kristoff is riding as well so something must be wrong?

You can go burn Visbeek all you want, but without him the team wouldn't have performed like they did this year. Since they made him DS they went from a rogue failure squad to a succesful organised, but still roguelike squad.

Ofcourse Hermans is dissapointed and he looked like a safe bet to ride. Based on performance I would've taken him as well, but putting all the blame on the DS sounds like fanboys looking at from a single perspective.
I see only one fanboy reaction here.

Reactions: Luthor
All I know is that far too many people in the world always seem to know what people really seem to think without really knowing it.
Some people really need to doubt themselves more instead of being convinced they can read peoples minds.

Ghirmay will now lay low until the 2024 season. So you won't hear his opinion. But in 2024 it will also explode for him if he does not sign with the team. We also know how Hermans reacted to his non-selection. We heard Visbeek's vilaine response. Meanwhile Hermans has responded again. He has clearly stated that Visbeek is lying.

The atmosphere was just very good between riders, team leaders, soigneurs, mechanics. The only rotten apple is Visbeek.

What a predictable reply.
I don't understand how you people fail to think a little bit further then the simple logic that it's all because he is leaving the team which is directly contradicted by having Kristoff on the team.

Maybe the team (I mean Visbeek, he is the only one making the call obviously, everyone else is innocent!) should've handled this in a better way, but there is more going on then just the rider switching teams.

Ghirmay will now lay low until the 2024 season. So you won't hear his opinion. But in 2024 it will also explode for him if he does not sign with the team. We also know how Hermans reacted to his non-selection. We heard Visbeek's vilaine response. Meanwhile Hermans has responded again. He has clearly stated that Visbeek is lying.

The atmosphere was just very good between riders, team leaders, soigneurs, mechanics. The only rotten apple is Visbeek.

Lol it's funny how you seem to know what Ghirmay thinks! Oh wait.. is it you Bini?

I think Visbeek should have kept his cake hole shut, but some of the comments here seem way over the top to me. Riders who were expecting to go to the Tour dont get picked all the time. Sometimes they cry about it in public, mostly they don’t. Riders get deprioritised after refusing to extend reasonably frequently. Sometimes there are other factors involved and it isn’t just that. It’s basically impossible to know from the outside. Unless this kind of falling out becomes an absurdly regular pattern (DSM), it makes little difference to anyone bar the rider concerned

I thought it used to be quite normal procedure that leaving riders were typically no-no to the Tour or other pinnacle races? Or at least when riders leaving doors banging. Teams don't want to give any excess success to the future team, no?

But such a stupid PR management by the team and so on the other hand from athlete. It's lacking professionalism to crybaby loud and louder and leaves long lasting stamp in your face.

What a predictable reply.
I don't understand how you people fail to think a little bit further then the simple logic that it's all because he is leaving the team which is directly contradicted by having Kristoff on the team.

Maybe the team (I mean Visbeek, he is the only one making the call obviously, everyone else is innocent!) should've handled this in a better way, but there is more going on then just the rider switching teams.
Only predictable reactions of your side. Without arguments at all.

TRENDING THREADS