• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Intermarché - Wanty - Gobert Matériaux

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hilarious (pun intended) interview with Visbeek, i suggest running it through a translator: https://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/b...quinten-hermans-situatie-uit-de-hand-gelopen/

Some funny takes:

''This decision wasn't made by me but by the group.''
- ''We know not all team managers are on board with the decision.''

''The atmosphere is bad.''
- Are there issues between Hermans and his teammates?''
''No there aren't, that has nothing to do with it.''

Basically they are unhappy that the guy was looking at his options and wanted to be sure before he made a decision that would impact his career and they wanted him to make a decision sooner. There are no issues between Hermans and the other riders... so what toxic atmosphere is Visbeek talking about? Maybe Hermans is not the real problem? Results, efforts and achievements were not the issue.

DSM 2.0

Last edited:
Reactions: Axel Hangleck
I don’t like that kind of remark from Visbeek. He should keep his own mouth shut, if he’s so concerned that mouthing off to the press undermines morale.

I do Think that Hermans should have been a bit more diplomatic and said something like, I am disappointed and believed I had done enough to be included in the team at the Tour and I wonder if my leaving played a role. BUT.....
Visbeek was being vindictive and should have said, It was a close decision and we can understand his strong response to the decision. Something like that would calm the situation to an extent but His (Visbeek) saying that, had to let any riders who are there on the team or who might come there, that getting "Slagged" by team a manager, if things go wrong, is possible.

Last edited:
No arguments? If you don't want to see them ... sure..
All you did was pretending to know what Girmay was thinking and stating it as a fact. That's quite something!
Indeed, I can imagine how Ghirmay must feel now. As a teammate, but also as a potential victim the year before his contract expires. That you don't feel that says a lot about your cycling knowledge and your lack of psychological insight. Something we have been able to determine more than once in previous posts on various topics

Maybe I'm missing something regarding Visbeek and the way DSM do things, but didn't he leave Sunweb/DSM in 2019 before all of the riders leaving due to issues and all that kind of stuff? In fact didn't he leave because there were disagreements between Visbeek and some of the management? I'm not trying to take some of the blame away from him in regards to the comments on Hermans, as he could (should) have addressed the non-selection differently, but I'd just like to get my head around why people are comparing his manangement style to that of DSM when he left because there were obviously differences between how they operated way back in that 2019 season.

Reactions: Monte Serra
Maybe I'm missing something regarding Visbeek and the way DSM do things, but didn't he leave Sunweb/DSM in 2019 before all of the riders leaving due to issues and all that kind of stuff? In fact didn't he leave because there were disagreements between Visbeek and some of the management? I'm not trying to take some of the blame away from him in regards to the comments on Hermans, as he could (should) have addressed the non-selection differently, but I'd just like to get my head around why people are comparing his manangement style to that of DSM when he left because there were obviously differences between how they operated way back in that 2019 season.
But he was trained at DSM. What is now clear again. It is a trend that you are gradually seeing in other team. A very sad evolution.

There were problems in DSM before 2019 as well. From the top of my head at least Barguil and Degenkolb (the first time he left) went away not fully satisfied with the team methods.

And I'm sure there are a couple more I can't recall right now (Kittel?)

Management (Visbeek / Boulart) is unhappy with the way Quinten managed his contract situation and they are punishing him by leaving Quinten out of TdF.

I guess Kristoff is riding because they are OK with the way things have unfolded (the space left by Kristoff next year will be taken by Ghirmay).

It's obviously a wrong decision, but I don't think Intermache management are some kind of devils since this is something that sadly has been frequently done in the past (Coquard - Direct Energie; Bennett - Quick Step; Ackermann - Bora, just to name a few recent cases, riders have been strangely pulled out from squads when leaving a team...). Riders leaving teams are usually given lesser race programs and removed from GT teams.

Management (Visbeek / Boulart) is unhappy with the way Quinten managed his contract situation and they are punishing him by leaving Quinten out of TdF.

I guess Kristoff is riding because they are OK with the way things have unfolded (the space left by Kristoff next year will be taken by Ghirmay).

It's obviously a wrong decision, but I don't think Intermache management are some kind of devils since this is something that sadly has been frequently done in the past (Coquard - Direct Energie; Bennett - Quick Step; Ackermann - Bora, just to name a few recent cases, riders have been strangely pulled out from squads when leaving a team...). Riders leaving teams are usually given lesser race programs and removed from GT teams.

Stop making rational posts! :)

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
The Classics Team is underperforming, to be kind.

1. Teunissen did OK on Het Volk and Samyn, but was dismal after Tirreno.
  2. Page was great on Australia opening races. He returned to competition on Het Volk and has been anonymous since. I'm not sure if it is a question of form/illness or rather he does not fit very well in these races.
  3. Ghirmay is a shadow of his 2022 version.

However, the GC and Ardennes team looks very good. Taaramae was good in Catalunya, Meintjes was going fine until his family issue forced him to abandon. Goosens and Calmejane were great in Nice. Rui Costa is flying.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS