• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Visma - Lease a Bike

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Good for Thomas, as otherwise he would likely get "influenced", to change his mind. Anyway, TDF 2020 is likely going to be a real clash of giants. I somehow feel that waiting for the third week, that won't work this time. Strong teams will try to control the race, but at the same time we will get to see some tactical moves, during the whole Tour. Favorites will likely need to do some work themselves, in the final week and in my opinion highly likely before that. Therefore it really will come down to things like having a clear hierarchy and protecting the captain as much as possible. Teams that won't do that, likely won't win.

Good for Thomas, as otherwise he would likely get "influenced", to change his mind. Anyway, TDF 2020 is likely going to be a real clash of giants. I somehow feel that waiting for the third week, that won't work this time. Strong teams will try to control the race, but at the same time we will get to see some tactical moves, during the whole Tour. Favorites will likely need to do some work themselves, in the final week and in my opinion highly likely before that. Therefore it really will come down to things like having a clear hierarchy and protecting the captain as much as possible. Teams that won't do that, likely won't win.

So Ineos and Jumbo with their 3 leaders strategy might not bode well :)

Reactions: Sandisfan
For TJV i would say they are in a rather good position. Whenever in doubt, Roglič is the captain. If for whatever reason Roglič won't deliver, plan B is i guess still a really good one, for TJV.

Team INEOS, here i don't follow everything all that close, but somehow i feel that Bernal is not happy. He likely wants to have the same status as Roglič (at TJV for the TDF 2020), or at least for being able to go to Giro first. And somehow i feel Bernal likely won't get any of that. Froome is a big unknown. Will he be able to get in a shape, to win a Tour, or not. I wish him all the best. As for the Thomas. If he will prepare well, winning the Tour will likely be the only thing on his mind. I doubt Thomas is prepared to help Bernal in the same way, he did that for Froome in the past few years, or until that point, when he has decided it's time for him, to win the Tour.

ENHAOJnXkAAY_UE.jpg:large

Reactions: Sandisfan
I wish him all the best and this can still change, reading the recent news i am afraid that Froome might not be in optimal condition for TDF 2020. In that case Team INEOS will have Thomas and Bernal going after the GC. At least on paper they will not be the strongest team, or as strong as the strongest one. I doubt they are happy with that. In addition i feel that Thomas expects to be the captain, Bernal likely not happy with that. Best to wait for the official announcement, that could still take a while.

Kruiswijks knee injury indeed is a nice reminder on just how quickly things can change in professional cycling. And on how challenging task is ahead. To get all of them healthy across the finish line in Paris. And i guess Roglič and Bernal are already competing in who has the coolest sunglasses.

P.S. Team INEOS just revealed their plans and i guess nothing too surprising from their side. Froome going to Tour and basically being a big unknown. Will he be able to recover quickly enough and to compete for GC or not. I wish him all the best. Hopefully his team won't mismanage things and will make the right call as TDF 2020 is not the last GT race. There are plenty more to come. Carapaz going to Giro. Both Thomas and Bernal therefore going after the GC on the Tour, Bernal not going to the Giro. As long as Froom will be able to stay close i feel that Thomas and Bernal will try to help. But i am not sure on what will happen, when in doubt, likely some in-fighting will occur. Best to wait and see. Anyway, lets get this season started, first highlight starting at March 8 (Paris-Nice).

If Froome will be able to cope, well he is Froome, therefore the team likely won't let him down? There is a big IF involved. In addition i do believe such information is not a bluff:

Thomas therefore having a main objective to win, he likely doesn't see himself helping Bernal all that much. Bernal looks like the obvious future, when it comes to Team INEOS, i am just not sure Bernal is currently positioned the highest in the hierarchy. I guess Bernal is still a bit too young for taking that role. Over a couple of years cyclist like Bernal and Pogačar for sure do have a good chance for climbing the highest in hierarchy in their teams, personally i am not sure they are there yet.

UAE should i guess better manage Aru, being in his prime cycling years. Pogačar should still have more fun, learning the craft. In addition UAE should be in the process of building a good (future) support team for Pogačar.

P.S. Currently i am under the impression UAE expects Pogačar to win TDF, by doing that solo.

UAE is no longer ran by a team of clowns. They've brought on some very competent staff last year. It's no wonder massive talents like Pogacar, Philipsen, Bjerg, Molano, Covi, the Oliveira's, Ardila, ,... moved there.

Last year they had their most succesful season in terms of victories, first GT podium, 4th in the CQ ranking and 4th in the WT ranking.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS