• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Visma - Lease a Bike

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Still not enough IMO. He'd need to become WC to overtake Pogi...or at least a medal.
Which brings up that at the Worlds Pogacar and Roglic will each have a chance to complete a rare trifecta:
Pog: monument + GT + WC
Rog: Olympic gold + GT + WC

Not that either of them will be favorites, but if one of them did win that would be a rare distinction to have all three.

First i guess we need a national team coach. Previous one left and now Slovenia has 3 coaches and none of them considers himself to be one.

1004801.2e16d0ba.fill-800x450.jpg

Without a good coach we can i guess easily underachieve.

65921370.jpg

Thank you Koen Bouwman, Robert Gesink, Lennard Hofstede, Steven Kruijswijk, Sepp Kuss, Sam Oomen and Nathan Van Hooydonck for helping Trioglič conquer a hat-trick.

Some small details say a lot about a team, for example seeing George Bennett in the Tour of Britain going in hard for Wout van Aert & totally focused on his job shows how good the work environment is at JV. This is a guy who's going to UAE next year, but both the team & rider himself are totally professional right now (& we see some of that with Rohan Dennis & Ineos).

Some teams have been known to freeze out riders who've signed elsewhere (especially for their main rivals, like UAE is to Jumbo), but TJV are totally cool about the whole thing.

Lets not forget DS and his team did a good job too. Only thing standing out is when Promož came back to the car and said i will risk it all now and will go for the glory. They could have just said no. Personally i like a bit of creative freedom and taking initiative hence i don't hold that against them.

Good job!

Reactions: Sandisfan
Lets not forget DS and his team did a good job too. Only thing standing out is when Promož came back to the car and said i will risk it all now and will go for the glory. They could have just said no. Personally i like a bit of creative freedom and taking initiative hence i don't hold that against them.

Good job!
Tbh I liked the attack uphill in the sense that if you're on great legs stomping and seeing what happens is really good. However the risks on the descent were unnecessary.

Reactions: CyclistAbi
From a cycling fan point of view there is not much not to like. No trains, a few favourites going out of their comfort zone, epic stages and performances ...

Beautiful.

Still this time i must say that DS and the team did a good job too. It's just amazing on how they can adapt when needed. Like not one year has passed and totally different approach used that lead to the win.

You don't see that often. Teams with such depth and ability to adapt to current circumstances.

Some small details say a lot about a team, for example seeing George Bennett in the Tour of Britain going in hard for Wout van Aert & totally focused on his job shows how good the work environment is at JV. This is a guy who's going to UAE next year, but both the team & rider himself are totally professional right now (& we see some of that with Rohan Dennis & Ineos).

Some teams have been known to freeze out riders who've signed elsewhere (especially for their main rivals, like UAE is to Jumbo), but TJV are totally cool about the whole thing.
It's indeed nice to see. The team gets nothing out of not letting a good rider ride and the rider also gets nothing out of if, it's a loose-loose for both parties. I've never liked that old school mindset, reminds me too much of Johan Bruyneel...

It's indeed nice to see. The team gets nothing out of not letting a good rider ride and the rider also gets nothing out of if, it's a loose-loose for both parties. I've never liked that old school mindset, reminds me too much of Johan Bruyneel...
I think it sort of depends on the race and rider. Completely freezing out seems terrible to me, but I would also be slihgly disinclined to give riders who are about to leave leadership opportunities that are a bit ambitious/speculative.

So why has Tolhoek raced 5 days in the last 3 months?

• Wow
Other than missing a GT, I would say he has had a fine calender this year (and three months ago he was racing Tour de Suisse). If he's not in great form at the moment it makes sense that he wasn't selected for the Vuelta. And he doesn't exactly have the skill set for Danmark Rundt, Benelux Tour, Tour of Norway & Tour of Britain (with Bennett there, Tolhoek would be superfluous).

I don't know how many of the Italian one-day races J-V participates in, but it would make sense to use him there. What other races is it that you think he should have been selected for?

EDIT: Okay, I conflated Arctic Tour of Norway with Tour of Norway, and he could indeed have fitted in for the latter. I don't know if Vingegaard wanted to race it, but Tolhoek could have been given his spot.

Last edited:
Other than missing a GT, I would say he has had a fine calender this year (and three months ago he was racing Tour de Suisse). If he's not in great form at the moment it makes sense that he wasn't selected for the Vuelta. And he doesn't exactly have the skill set for Danmark Rundt, Benelux Tour, Tour of Norway & Tour of Britain (with Bennett there, Tolhoek would be superfluous).

I don't know how many of the Italian one-day races J-V participates in, but it would make sense to use him there. What other races is it that you think he should have been selected for?

EDIT: Okay, I conflated Arctic Tour of Norway with Tour of Norway, and he could indeed have fitted in for the latter. I don't know if Vingegaard wanted to race it, but Tolhoek could have been given his spot.

I'm pretty sure Vingegaard was specifically invited to the race.

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob

Obviously if you go purposefully looking for outliers you can attempt to contradict any point you want, but within context George Bennett going to UAE is a bit of a big deal (i.e. he'll logically ride the Tour against Jumbo next year in support of their number one rival Pogacar). So the fact Jumbo-Visma trust him to do the job here in the Tour of Britain & the fact he also personally seems motivated to ride well says quite a bit about all involved.

Tolhoek has no bearing on it whatsoever. And in other news, Pascal Eenkhoorn is a legend, i.e. giving that kid the bottle today in the stage (i.e. the kid riding alongside the breakaway on his bike) was special.

Reactions: MTV and Sandisfan

After re-reading our exchange, I decided to look up Tolhoek's twitter:

View: https://twitter.com/TolhoekAntwan/status/1425811137841360899

So he abandoned Pologne because he wasn't well/fit, and the plan was for him to race ToN if he became well, but apparently he didn't. I can't see what other races he should have been selected for, but depending on his form I don't think his season is over.

TRENDING THREADS