• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Visma - Lease a Bike

Page 81 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Kicking the team leader out of the Tour against his will when leading the Tour with a Dane.

Coincidence? I think not.
Kicking the team leader out of the Tour against his will when leading the Tour with a Dane.

Coincidence? I think not.
I think Roglič really wanted to help Jonas but was riding himself into agrevating injuries more and more. Team directors want a good shot at winning Vuelta where Roglič will be their nr. 1 guy and that's why they sent him home.

There were immediately 3 teammates around him bringing back at a moment that the peloton was taking it very easy. What are you talking about?
I posted this on the Pogacar thread:
I mentioned on another thread that it also could be a sh*tshow if there are winds and bad riding. It happens quickly when sprinter teams need that only Tour win. As long as Vingo has a team bubble he should be OK. Output should be less jumpy which can be theraputic in a stage race. Tadej will have to guess and freelance to make much of it and he's better off chilling, too. Unless he makes a surprise break he's got to guess right on every effort or risk being swept back by a JV train.

Jonas had a replacement bike in under a minute or so and had the crew right there. When the winds became the slightest factor Laporte was there sheparding Jonas. Watch how well he made space and kept them in the right flow from about 8km to the finish. That kind of team help is what Tadej doens't seem to get and it's invaluable. Saved the day or at least some time and wasted energy for JV.

There is a lot of pressure on Sepp Kuss shoulders right now.

Vingegaard will have to be massive next week.

There is a lot of teams that will be feeling optimistic going into next week.

Will just be more of a spectacle if they dare to challenge Vinge. Guys like Bardet, Quintana and of course Pog will try but in the end Vinge should just stick to Pog's wheel and use his team as his own. Same as Pogo has done last few years. If Vinge panicks because of Guadu or Yates going he will have a rough week in front of him. (Not that I think Yates will attack).

Reactions: JosefK and jmdirt
he wasnt struggling on Galibier. He was super strong. He ran out of energy/legs just 5 km before the line. With more support on Galibier his cracking would happen later if at all resulting in less time loss.
Sorry about that, I got my euro hills confused (the rat in the cage isn't spinning the wheel!). I still disagree, but less. I'm still not convinced that he would have lost much less time. Although, if he lost a minute less, that's big.

Will just be more of a spectacle if they dare to challenge Vinge. Guys like Bardet, Quintana and of course Pog will try but in the end Vinge should just stick to Pog's wheel and use his team as his own. Same as Pogo has done last few years. If Vinge panicks because of Guadu or Yates going he will have a rough week in front of him. (Not that I think Yates will attack).
I actually wouldn't be surprised if Ineos tries to send Yates up the road on one of the hard stages in week 3.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
@Oldermanish

What Tadej does is different. That is when the bunch thickens he will be at front. Somewhere in between or just behind JV and Ineos team (members). He knows what a proper team support is and hence just utilizes that. It's not like UAE can offer him that.
That's how he won 2 Tours. He's the Sagan of GT crowd surfers and he actually gets some respectful space. Maybe one of the benefits of being nice to other riders, even when he's had a bad day.

That's how he won 2 Tours. He's the Sagan of GT crowd surfers and he actually gets some respectful space. Maybe one of the benefits of being nice to other riders, even when he's had a bad day.

But it could cost him this one. UAE will need to do a better job. When it comes to the team.

Like JV as a team will need to do a better job. In protecting their leaders. Being Primož or Jonas. Their leaders crash way too much back in the bunch at the Tour. Most of the time with one or no helper by their side.

WVA will offer support for quite a while in the Pyrenees in my opinion. And with Kuss probably at least as strong as Majka, jumbo will still be slightly stronger than UAE.

Ineos should be far stronger than both, but their leaders are probably too inferior to Vingegaard and Pogacar to take advantage of it.

WVA will offer support for quite a while in the Pyrenees in my opinion. And with Kuss probably at least as strong as Majka, jumbo will still be slightly stronger than UAE.

Ineos should be far stronger than both, but their leaders are probably too inferior to Vingegaard and Pogacar to take advantage of it.

Jumbo is now missing that link between flat & high mountains. Kuss also isn't as good at setting a defensive tempo as Kruijswijk was (which figures considering even in his best years, he was a diesel engine rider). It means Ineos & UAE could blow up everyone except Kuss in the Pyrenees, at which point Vinegaard himself is going to be jumping on attacking riders (one rider, specifically, i.e. Pogacar).

In my mind the situation has gone from Pogacar needing a miracle (an unlikely Vingegaard collapse mano a mano) to a more interesting situation where he could technically launch a raid & leave Vingegaard isolated behind.

I think Kruijswijk in his current form was very, very important for Jumbo Visma.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Jumbo is now missing that link between flat & high mountains. Kuss also isn't as good at setting a defensive tempo as Kruijswijk was (which figures considering even in his best years, he was a diesel engine rider). It means Ineos & UAE could blow up everyone except Kuss in the Pyrenees, at which point Vinegaard himself is going to be jumping on attacking riders (one rider, specifically, i.e. Pogacar).

In my mind the situation has gone from Pogacar needing a miracle (an unlikely Vingegaard collapse mano a mano) to a more interesting situation where he could technically launch a raid & leave Vingegaard isolated behind.

I think Kruijswijk in his current form was very, very important for Jumbo Visma.

Very important, yes, but the onus is still all on Pogacar to take major time on Vingegaard. Assuming the crash hasn't hurt him, and he doesn't waste energy chasing down attacks from anyone other than Pogacar, then two minutes is still a big advantage.

What would be fun for the race is if Mas, Vlasov or Lutsenko gets into a break in the Pyrenees. Because Jumbo and UAE might be keen to save as many matches as possible, and I can see a dangerous break getting ten plus minutes.

Of course the concern is that Ineos work before the others do, but not if they send Pidcock in the break.

Reactions: Rackham
Laporte, Van Hooydonck, and Benoot are enough for the flat that is left. They will snail-pace all climbs, so other teams will have to take over to reduce the team. All the mountain stages have flat starts, so that part should be controllable.
The Vingo fans can hope but every other team will ride as a combine to take advantage of the situation. How that works out could be equally challenging for Pogacar. Up to this point the flat stages have been more dangerous to rider health than the mountains, so there is that to consider.

Sepp commenting on todays stage. I know many hate on this guy, but I generally smile when I see him :D
He is such an enigma to me. Every time I see him in a shape like today I think, this guy should be capable to ride podium in a Giro or so.

Then you see him drop back to help his captain after a fall only to get dropped by him after 3 seconds. After which Kuss losses 15 minutes.

Such a weird rider.

He is such an enigma to me. Every time I see him in a shape like today I think, this guy should be capable to ride podium in a Giro or so.

Then you see him drop back to help his captain after a fall only to get dropped by him after 3 seconds. After which Kuss losses 15 minutes.

Such a weird rider.
He rides too much like a dedicated DOM. When he gives up that time he may be on orders to save it for the next day. He is enigmatic and talented.
Why anyone would not like him is beyond me.

TRENDING THREADS