• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Visma - Lease a Bike

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
Big thumbs up to this team for putting riders' names on helmets so that they can be easily read, as seen both in Belgium and UAE at the weekend: I hope many teams will do likewise (and would be happy to see it made compulsory, at least for World Teams).

I noted that, and likewise much appreciated it, as well. Great idea. It would be most helpful for some television commentators, too!

Re: Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Red Rick said:
sir fly said:
Makes you wonder why is it called smart...
I assume "dumbphone" wouldn't sell that well.
My new dumbphone still had autocorrect on, when I started wondering why "f*ck" kept turning into "Rick"

I had mixed feelings about that one.
While you're here, could you change the threadddd title? :D
Better late than never right?

Re:

Axel Hangleck said:
Not a bad idea, however, I'd prefer to see riders have their own helmet designs (like in motorsport). Also, Wout is a RedBull athlete but never wears it on the road. I assume there is a some pointless rule why it's not allowed.

Trying to identify 176 riders by their helmet designs (oohh err missus) does not seem very helpful.

Teams, rather than individual riders, having authority to determine the kits seems very sensible to me, rather than a pointless rule.
I presume Van Aert has a contract specific to his cyclo-cross kit (as Red Bull would know that they could not mandate what one member of a team wears on road kit), so not wearing the insignia of a sponsor in races outside that contract is not really pointless either.

Well it was easy to identify riders in the helmetless era because of typical hairstyles etc.. then I tried to focus on riding styles but it's not always easy. Especially with new talents / unknown riders who you don't see on TV all the time.

I already thought Sky had a great addition with names on the jerseys. But names on helmets makes it even better.

Re:

Robert5091 said:
So what's happened to last year's "next big thing" Seb Kuss? Got too skinny?
Unlike others here, i don't think his performance in Utah last year was really a reference. I said as much last year, and people didn't take too kindly to it, but that's how i see it. In fact, he rode 2 stages in the Vuelta, that were more promising than winning Utah. And other than those two stages and beating some 3rd tier climbers in Utah, there wasn't much in the results last year to justify the hype. He seems like a nice enough guy, so i hope he 'll do well for himself, but to me he still needs to confirm the status of "next big thing". Hopefully we'll get a better idea what to expect from him this year.

Catalonia, Pais Vasco, California, Dauphiné, Vuelta... for him this year. No Utah.

Robert5091 said:
Unlike others here, i don't think his performance in Utah last year was really a reference. I said as much last year, and people didn't take too kindly to it, but that's how i see it. In fact, he rode 2 stages in the Vuelta, that were more promising than winning Utah. And other than those two stages and beating some 3rd tier climbers in Utah, there wasn't much in the results last year to justify the hype. He seems like a nice enough guy, so i hope he 'll do well for himself, but to me he still needs to confirm the status of "next big thing". Hopefully we'll get a better idea what to expect from him this year.

Catalonia, Pais Vasco, California, Dauphiné, Vuelta... for him this year. No Utah.

While competitors and racing fields are indeed debatable, wattages are not. The numbers indicate what his level there was. And it was freaking high.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Robert5091 said:

While competitors and racing fields are indeed debatable, wattages are not. The numbers indicate what his level there was. And it was freaking high.

I think wattages are also debatable, because it comes down to context and interpretation. If his wattages were this high, surely he should have put a lot more time between him and Hermans. So, i'm a little more hesitant because he hasn't shown us anything else either. Like i said, to me, the one thing to go by, were these two stages in the Vuelta. Not saying there's nothing there, or that he couldn't become great, just that winning Utah doesn't mean much. And going by wattages alone, doesn't tell you the whole story.

Re:

Lequack said:
Gesink sustains broken collarbone and pelvis in Liege-Bastogne-Liege crash
Jumbo-Visma rider forced out of upcoming Giro d'Italia
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gesink-sustains-broken-collarbone-and-pelvis-in-liege-bastogne-liege-crash/

Bad news to the start of their Giro ambitions already. Gesink showed he was in great form in Fleche and now this. :sad:
Very bad news indeed. Gesink was in fine form and would have been the most important domestic for Roglic in the Giro (together with De Plus). I think there's no adequate replacement for Team Jumbo Visma's Giro team other than bringing Kruijswijk but that would never happened and rightfully so. I'm curious to see who'll be the replacement. It should be someone who can be a helper on the climbs. Hopefully it's one between Bennett, Powless or Kuss. Any other choice would be a disappointment and a wrong decision IMO.

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site

johnymax said:
Very bad news indeed. Gesink was in fine form and would have been the most important domestic for Roglic in the Giro (together with De Plus). I think there's no adequate replacement for Team Jumbo Visma's Giro team other than bringing Kruijswijk but that would never happened and rightfully so. I'm curious to see who'll be the replacement. It should be someone who can be a helper on the climbs. Hopefully it's one between Bennett, Powless or Kuss. Any other choice would be a disappointment and a wrong decision IMO.
Kuss is the replacement, so he'll miss the Tour of California

Re:

Lequack said:
I wonder what their strategy is, they probably don't want to work at the front every stage.

De Plus is supposed to be Roglic 's last man. Due to Gesink's absence and Kuss replacing him, i'm afraid the team will rely even more on Van Emden, Leezer and Martens for the flat stages. Had Gesink been there, i guess De Plus could also have been able to do some work in the flat stages. But i doubt that will happen now since he's supposed to be there in the mountains. Can't expect too much from guys like Kuss, Tolhoek & Bouwman in flat stages. So i'm not sure if they intend to "cook" the team this early. I'm guessing they'll gladly let another team take pink for the time being.

From how i understand, it's all for Roglic. De Plus won't be riding for a youth classification, and i doubt any of them will go stagehunting.

Kuss was a better fit for the Tour of California..only 2 really hard days. I don't know much about depth and strategy so each time a rider says "oops I should not have done the Giro because it cooked me" I am never sure why they rolled the dice.
I feel that the Jumbo handlers won't over use Sepp. A little bummed that Jumbo is represented the way they are in the TOC. Sagan has been saying he is coming to race but it is not his goal for leaders Jersey from start to finish. Also Quick Step has a slightly different roster..not sure if they are coming to win. I feel Jumbo or Rally is going to take GC..
No matter who wins TOC I will watch the Mt Baldy stage from the roadside.

Kwibus said:
Last tdf tolhoek did a lot of work on the flat. Bouwman is fine on the flat as well.
I very much doubt these guys have the depth to work on the flat for three weeks, and still have enough in the tank to do their job in the mountains in the third week. There is a big difference between doing some work in one of two stages in order to preserve a top 10 spot on one hand, and on the other, defend pink for three weeks.

Kwibus said:
Last tdf tolhoek did a lot of work on the flat. Bouwman is fine on the flat as well.
I very much doubt these guys have the depth to work on the flat for three weeks, and still have enough in the tank to do their job in the mountains in the third week. There is a big difference between doing some work in one of two stages in order to preserve a top 10 spot on one hand, and on the other, defend pink for three weeks.

Unlikely, but during the tdf they put Tolhoek at the front of the bunch in the first week to keep the gap down with the break and he was a surprise domestique in the mountains, did really well.

Update on Gesink.

Robert Gesink – The Comeback King + A mid Giro review (podcast, 57min)
https://lifeinthepeloton.com/2019/05/22/robert-gesink-the-comeback-king-a-mid-giro-review/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

D7HBkVEW4AMpuD-.jpg

TRENDING THREADS