• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Visma - Lease a Bike

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Or vice versa, at this point. But given that neither of the 2-3 finishers at the TdF in 2018 even made it to the starting line in 2019, Jumbo would be foolish NOT to have Dumoulin and Roglic as co-leaders to hedge their bets, rather than having Roglic as a superdom. Ineos have been able to crack the co-leader puzzle so it can be done.

I wonder if Kruijswijk thinks signing Dumoulin will be better or worse for his own prospects. I suspect better as he'll most likely be the clear No. 1 for the Giro. I like the idea of having SK as Giro captain then supporting whoever is No. 1 at the Vuelta -- which could very well be Kruijswijk himself...
The co-leader puzzle has usually involved one older, one younger rider (Hinault/Lemond, Delgado/Indurain, Riis/Ullrich, Wiggins/Froome) and a transition from one to the other. There are other, lesser examples where teams couldn’t decide which of Aru/Dan Martin or Ten Dam/Mollema was their best best for a stage win/Top 10.

Generally when the team wins, they say “we did it right,” and when they lose, (Movistar) everyone else points and says “see? It doesn’t work.”

If I were Roglic I would be mad seeing Dumoulin prioritized over me after this year, we didn't even know what level can reach Dumoulin after his injury and 8/9 months without starting a race. Dumoulin should go to the Tour as leader only if Roglic wants to do Giro and Vuelta again and after showing in the spring that he still has the 2017/2018 level in him so he can be considered a better option than Kruijswijk.

So now Kruijswijk will be captain in two Grand Tours on a team with Roglic and Dumoulin?

Unlikely but I can see a scenario where that would be the case. If Dumoulin and Roglic are cooked after the tour and Olympics (would they both do ITT and RR?), for example, then a relatively fresh SK could be the best Vuelta option.

Edit to add: JV could run the table on grand tours next year, or they could come up goose eggs. I suspect Ineos will be a tougher nut to crack in the Tour than many might think. I can't see Froome going to the start line if he doesn't think he can win, to be honest, and Bernal probably won't take a step backward. The real Ineos question is whether they can replace Kwiat and Poels at their best, which they weren't last year, and if they can't, can Froome or Bernal win a more wide-open race...

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
If I were Roglic I would be mad seeing Dumoulin prioritized over me after this year, we didn't even know what level can reach Dumoulin after his injury and 8/9 months without starting a race. Dumoulin should go to the Tour as leader only if Roglic wants to do Giro and Vuelta again and after showing in the spring that he still has the 2017/2018 level in him so he can be considered a better option than Kruijswijk.
Nobody’s being prioritized yet. If they both have the same start of the season in 2020 that they had this year, then Roglic will be the one who gets to pick what GT he does.

Unlikely but I can see a scenario where that would be the case. If Dumoulin and Roglic are cooked after the tour and Olympics (would they both do ITT and RR?), for example, then a relatively fresh SK could be the best Vuelta option.

Edit to add: JV could run the table on grand tours next year, or they could come up goose eggs. I suspect Ineos will be a tougher nut to crack in the Tour than many might think. I can't see Froome going to the start line if he doesn't think he can win, to be honest, and Bernal probably won't take a step backward. The real Ineos question is whether they can replace Kwiat and Poels at their best, which they weren't last year, and if they can't, can Froome or Bernal win a more wide-open race...
Team strenth wont mattet thst much with terrible route and Bernal needing like 1 climb to make up the MTT gap if at all

Reactions: Bolder
The co-leader puzzle has usually involved one older, one younger rider (Hinault/Lemond, Delgado/Indurain, Riis/Ullrich, Wiggins/Froome) and a transition from one to the other. There are other, lesser examples where teams couldn’t decide which of Aru/Dan Martin or Ten Dam/Mollema was their best best for a stage win/Top 10.

Generally when the team wins, they say “we did it right,” and when they lose, (Movistar) everyone else points and says “see? It doesn’t work.”
Actually Movistar did quite good this year. They won one GT, and came 2nd in another with dual leadership.

0% chance they make a decision before the Tour unless they choose to send Dumoulin to the Giro, but my guess is sponsor will dictate both go to the Tour.

Right now just about all the signs for the Tour are favoring Roglic, and Jumbo would be fools to deny it.

Nobody’s being prioritized yet. If they both have the same start of the season in 2020 that they had this year, then Roglic will be the one who gets to pick what GT he does.
At the beginning of the season everyone has the schedule already decided at least until july but generally for the whole year, nowadays WT teams plan the season at the first meeting/training camp before the end of the previous year.

At the beginning of the season everyone has the schedule already decided at least until july but generally for the whole year, nowadays WT teams plan the season at the first meeting/training camp before the end of the previous year.

That could be difficult since Big Tom hasn't raced since June where he pulled out with a continued injury. One would think they'd want to see him race before deciding his schedule.

Three leaders or not, next year will be a strange year with a climbers course at both Olympics and Worlds. There will be only a week between the end of the Tour and the Olympics. It will be a strange balance between GCs, one-day-races and between teams and countries...

There will be no priority in the TDF, they will go in as co-leaders. Yes Roglic is the best this year, but mainly in one week stage races and now 2 one day races. + A vuelta vs aging Valverde and young Pogacar. In the Giro he wasn't the best. There is like 0 guarantee at all he'll be better in TDF.

They will let the road decide.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
That could be difficult since Big Tom hasn't raced since June where he pulled out with a continued injury. One would think they'd want to see him race before deciding his schedule.
And so we return at the original point, Roglic should have the precedence in choosing which GT(s) wants to ride because Dumoulin is an unknow and you can't plan the season with him as leader.

Reactions: Carols

TRENDING THREADS