• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Visma - Lease a Bike

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I can't recall a single year when PDM went to the Tour with one of the top two favorites for the win in their roster.
Delgado did finish 2nd in 87, tbf. And Lemond would have been THE hot favorite that year had he made it to the start line. Rooks was definitely one of the favorites (in an open field) in 88. And Breukink after his 3rd in 1990 was one of the top favorites in another very open field in 91, certainly shorter odds before the start than Indurain.

Delgado did finish 2nd in 87, tbf. And Lemond would have been THE hot favorite that year had he made it to the start line. Rooks was definitely one of the favorites (in an open field) in 88. And Breukink after his 3rd in 1990 was one of the top favorites in another very open field in 91, certainly shorter odds before the start than Indurain.

I believe Lemond would still have been with La Vie Claire in 1987.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The pace was good, but not lethal. If all like 30 riders who target a GC are still there it's not crushing the peloton, IMO ... but yeah, he did a good job.

It was Kuss who didn't look all that hot. Wonder if he'll perform today, on a finish that should suit him more.
Yes Kuss usually needs some time to get into form. I expect him to perform better as the race goes on.

There's a big difference between being 'a favorite' and being the top favorite.

1987: There was no clear favorite but Fignon had shown signs of recovering a decent level finishing 3rd in the Vuelta and Roche had won the Giro. Both were rated above Delgado, whose TT abilities in the flat had always been awful (Purito level)... until that edition of the Tour. Even Herrera (Vuelta winner) and Kelly (Vuelta leader until his abandon with 3 days to finish) were rated above Delgado.
1988: The race was open, but Delgado and Hampsteen were rated above everyone else. French favorite Bernard was under question after his abandon in the Giro due to an accident.
1989: Delgado and Fignon were rated above everyone else.
1990-91: Lemond was the top favorite.
1992: Indurain was the top favorite

No PDM rider ever was in the top tier of the pre-race favorites like Roglic and Bernal are as of today. Breukink '91 was their best bet. But he was rated together with Bugno as second tier favorite, below Lemond and above indurain as you say.

If Roglic wins Dauphiné and does not win Le Tour it will be way worse than anything PDM ever did.

If Roglic wins Dauphiné and does not win Le Tour it will be way worse than anything PDM ever did.

Oh, ok, I didn't realize you were coming at it from that angle, in which case I agree. My point was more that PDM were the strongest team in cycling in the late 80s/early 90s, but could just never win the big one.

I think the big problem they seemed to have was that someone would leave the team and then win the Tour (Delgado, Lemond).

If the entire J-V team abandons after stage 11 due to a dodgy batch of ketones, and then Dumoulin ends up winning the 2022 Tour riding for Israel SUN, the circle will be complete.

Told you about Kuss:cool:
He didn't need much time though. But he can still be inconsistent at times so I wouldn't be surprised if he has a not super day in the coming stages.

Yep Sepp is coming into his own. As you say still inconsistent but maturing nicely. Best USA rider in the peloton (yes I know that's not saying much). I watched him ride here for years before he made it to Europe and hoped he would turn into somebody. Hopefully he'll get to ride for himself after JV takes le Tour.

Delgado was a top favorite in 1987 going into the TdF along with Bernard, Roche, and Fignon, but there wasn’t a clear favorite like now. There were a couple of years where Breukink was considered a **** star favorite as well.
Yes, both Delgado 87 and Breukink 91 were 4-star candidates.
But Roche 87 and Lemond 91 were 5-star candidates.
Roglic is a 5-star candidate as of today.
TJV is not in a position similar to PDM, it's in a better position. If they fail, it will be a bigger failure.

• Wow
Yes, both Delgado 87 and Breukink 91 were 4-star candidates.
But Roche 87 and Lemond 91 were 5-star candidates.
Roglic is a 5-star candidate as of today.
TJV is not in a position similar to PDM, it's in a better position. If they fail, it will be a bigger failure.

Was Roche 5-star in '87? He'd won Romandie and the Giro, (and nearly Paris Nice and Liege) but a GT double was always going to be a tough ask. With no Hinault or Lemond it was an open field.

Reactions: perico

TRENDING THREADS