• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Visma - Lease a Bike

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sad if he has to miss a bunch of the celebrations because of this.
Merijn is allowed to remain part of the Tour de France team of Team Jumbo-Visma in France, but during the remaining three stages he will no longer perform official functions within the accredited aeras of the race.

I read this was the bike Roglič had just climbed Col de la Loze with. Likely Roglič uses it the most. Anyway, the bike was going in for a X-ray. Likely after being returned in a box, dismantled, somebody going after it with a wrench. Now sure, you should keep your mouth shut in such situations, and sleep it over.

P.S. But i can understand, on what a normal people reaction could end up being.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I read this was the bike Roglič had just climbed Col de la Loze with. Likely Roglič uses it the most. Anyway, the bike was going in for a X-ray. Likely after being returned in a box, dismantled, somebody going after it with a wrench. Now sure, you should keep your mouth shut in such situations, and sleep it over.

Team is tired. After a very long and hard day, mechanics need to work way into the night to prepare the bikes for the next day. You could imagine, captains bike, leader of TdF gets double or triple checks that everything is ok. Now they take the bike to xray test, it probably takes ages to complete the tests. You really can't be happy about that but rules are rules. Then you get the bike back in parts and damaged. Now you can't be really sure what else is damaged and mechanics need to check everything, put together, replace damaged parts, etc. And you should take it with a smile? No, you should protest to this kind of behaviour for sure. It was wrong to yell or even threaten but it was right to protest.

Team is tired. After a very long and hard day, mechanics need to work way into the night to prepare the bikes for the next day. You could imagine, captains bike, leader of TdF gets double or triple checks that everything is ok. Now they take the bike to xray test, it probably takes ages to complete the tests. You really can't be happy about that but rules are rules. Then you get the bike back in parts and damaged. Now you can't be really sure what else is damaged and mechanics need to check everything, put together, replace damaged parts, etc. And you should take it with a smile? No, you should protest to this kind of behaviour for sure. It was wrong to yell or even threaten but it was right to protest.
ROGLSTOMP

surprised that everyone is taking Jumbos/Zeemans word for granted. Not accusing them of lying, but jumbo-good UCI-bad might be a bit too easy in this case.
I'm sure Zeeman was in bad mood and had a lot to say to UCI guys when they were checking the bike. UCI maybe even decided to check the bike a lot closely because Zeeman was talking too much. But UCI didn't need to damage the bike or just ask JV mechanic to disassemble it before you. So 50/50, but UCI took too much liberty to throw him out of TdF.

UCI officials will have to deal with frustration and emotions often, you don't get barred from the race just because of a heated discussion, so he must have really lost it. And I agree with F_Cance that we don't know the full picture. Jumbo will be presenting this in a light favorable to them and UCI the other way around. We will probably never know the truth.

Reactions: DFA123
I'm sure Zeeman was in bad mood and had a lot to say to UCI guys when they were checking the bike. UCI maybe even decided to check the bike a lot closely because Zeeman was talking too much. But UCI didn't need to damage the bike or just ask JV mechanic to disassemble it before you. So 50/50, but UCI took too much liberty to throw him out of TdF.
You think they damaged the bike on purpose? Also did Zeeman have any reason to be in a bad mood after his leader just more or less wrapped up the race? Seems like a lot of frustration for nothing.

they used an unpainted Oltre on Loze, he uses that bike very rarely, anyway they broke the powermeter, about 2000 EUR damage +2000 penalty :)

surprised that everyone is taking Jumbos/Zeemans word for granted. Not accusing them of lying, but jumbo-good UCI-bad might be a bit too easy in this case.
Zeeman already apologised and he blamed himself as well. Are we supposed to think Zeeman went nuts for nothing?
I'm waiting for UCI to deny the damaging and to release full footage(apparently it exists). Until then, there is not even an UCI version of it and UCI didn't give any detail.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yes i dare to say that Roglič bike was checked more times then any other bike in peloton and if a French rider would be in yellow, his bike would be checked a lot less.

Could we please avoid the french complot stuff one more time please? I'm tired of this french bashing when it comes to the Tour. Keep the good spirit and let's debate about our common passion without the nationalistic prism, thanks.

Yep. JV at least as strong as Froome era sky. Problem was that Roglic is not as dominant as Froome, and that he had a superior rival in Pogacar. Sky/Ineos Tour winners never faced a rival like THAT.

Nothing is certain in cycling, but if Pogacar keeps improving, it's hard to see Roglic or Dumoulin ever win the Tour, their age is advancing and there will be more young contenders. Imho they should try to get Dumoulin back to his former level and then try to wear Pogacar down next year with attacks by the Roglic Dumoulin Kruijswijk triumvirate... gonna be a hard task. Scary that Pogacar is not depending on the strength of his team. Also, his TT was insane, gaining 1'21 on tt giant Dumoulin and more on everybody else. What's next?!?

Last edited:
Reactions: DFA123
Yep. JV at least as strong as Froome era sky. Problem was that Roglic is not as dominant as Froome, and that he had a superior rival in Pogacar. Sky/Ineos Tour winners never faced a rival like THAT.

Nothing is certain in cycling, but if Pogacar keeps improving, it's hard to see Roglic or Dumoulin ever win the Tour, their age is advancing and there will be more young contenders. Imho they should try to get Dumoulin back to his former level and then try to wear Pogacar down next year with attacks by the Roglic Dumoulin Kruijswijk triumvirate... gonna be a hard task. Scary that Pogacar is not depending on the strength of his team. Also, his TT was insane, gaining 1'21 on tt giant Dumoulin and more on everybody else. What's next?!?
I think that you are up to something, and I posted on a couple of occasions that JV looked good because Ineos was not that good. In the end, Sky/Ineos could get second-rate GT riders to win Le Tour (Wiggo, GT), JV couldn't with a much more talented rider. Bottom line: they missed Kruisjwijk and didn't play their cards well.

Every so often, we see experts pop-up out of the woodwork like with the Sagan DQ, and we get troll or trollish exchanges; the "bike the most tested" was funny: some call their bikes names, Lance would fit well for this one. Not to imply anything. Overreaction is cool to some extend, passion is great...to a point.

Roglic may be the new Rominger, but he was Fignon today. He'll be back, angry. This is not the end of the world. Yeah, yeah, yeah, The Great Alberto Contador and Ayrton Senna...still, second at the TdF is more than many have achieved in their career.

In the background, I can hear the "Roglic fell apart", "it's mental", rubbish thrown at you when you give everything but fall short. Merci Primoz for a great performance. For JV, the lesson is like the one that the US Olympic basketball team got....Ginobilized. All-star is good and dandy, you still have to have a DS, a coach that can use the assets efficiently.

JV probably focused on Ineos/Barnal so much that Pog was overlooked. He was allowed to take back time. Then he believed. Not the other way around. Papy Horner had a good piece about mistakes made, no doubt that "what ifs" will feed the discussion...they already are.

SK, TD, and PR as a three-pronged menace was not to be. It was or looked like the plan months ago...knowing now...JV will learn and be more dangerous, with young talents who showed so much.

In hindsight, and were they to utilise different tactics, I think Jumbo missed Kruijswik in the Tour. The 3rd week in particular was tailor made for him. Having seen Tom’s level, I am pretty sure Kruijswik would have been climbing better and He could have been the second GC foil which in hindisight they needed and would have made controlling things for Pogacar a lot more challenging.

TRENDING THREADS