• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Visma - Lease a Bike

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I am bit confused about the possible confusion with the French champion jersey as I can't remember a design that had the colors left to right instead of top to bottom.
That’s true but it could still be confusing. I mean top-bottom, left-right… Even the combination of colours could be different but still confused by many. Slovenia has a flag that is very similar to Russian flag and that’s probably one of the reasons all national sportswear design focuses on different motifs rather than the actual flag. I think there is no sport where we would use three stripes whte-blue-red designs. Always blue or green…

Anyway, I like the shirt, I bought it for myself and occasionally I ride in it. Though I have two problems with that. First is the shame of riding so slow in champions jersey. Second is that in Slovenia, a lot of new cyclists emerged form Roglič hype and many of them use Bianchis and TJV jerseys. Noobs…. I don’t wanna look like one of them:)

Interesting opinions here. As I work for the team I like to share some insights how this process works for us.

First of all, the UCI regulation states that the national union has to approve the national champion jersey design. Some unions are very strict, others aren't too bothered.

We always listen to the riders opinion as he's most of the time incredibly proud to be the champion of his country. Next to that we have to make sure that the interests of our team and our partners are covered as well.

Please bear in mind that a main sponsor of a cycling team has two main rights:
  • Naming rights
  • Coloring rights
And take into consideration that we as a team want that a rider is recognizable as a member of our team for the TV audience, but also for our coaches watching the race on TV, for our soigneurs providing bottles along the road and last but not least for the rider himself and his teammates. Amund Grøndahl Jansen, George Bennett and even Dylan Groenewegen experienced this already. Missing bottles, being bumped out of our train etc. are things that happened.

Now back to Primoz, this was the official champions jersey when Primoz won the race last year:
EbDoBRPXsAAXZYy.jpeg

As it's important for our team that Primoz is recognizable as member of the team and the main color of Jumbo's biggest competitor (Albert Heijn) in The Netherlands is (light) blue, we decided to swap the upper part (light blue) for our yellow. Could you imagine a sponsor paying a lot of money to have naming and coloring rights and then have the #1 rider of the world in your team riding in the colors of your main competitor? Or having the #1 rider in your team missing important bottles or is 'overseen' by his teammates?

Then the Triglav (three mountains) remain in the Slovenian colors, but Primoz thought it would look like the French champion because they are in that order from left to right.

To resolve that issue we included the Slovenian flag in a band around the chest and back. This could not be too wide, because otherwise the sponsor logos would drop to his belly. Please notice that all sponsor logo's are just in black and white to create a 'clean' jersey without too much interference of other colors.

Primoz, the team and our sponsors are happy with the result. Normally our champions always stick to the regular black bibshorts, but Primoz will soon wear a dark blue one.

So in the end we basically changed two parts of the 'official' champions jersey and the Slovenian union was fine with that:
  • swapping the light blue for yellow
  • in stead of the colored 'Triglav' we included a Slovenian band around the jersey
I hope you guys like the insight of this process for a team like us.

Kampioenstrui-Primoz-Roglic.jpg
Thanks for the insight.
Good read.

Nice and thorough explanation.

I have to say I am still not convinced by the jersey (but I often find fault with cycling jerseys, I just don't find them pretty in general, so actually nobody needs to be bothered...).
I find it quite hard to pick out and tell it apart from the other Jumbos, and sometimes even from Higuita/Caicedo.
Thank god Roglic has a recognizable style, often wears leader's jerseys and also the helmet is better recognizable. But his national jersey itself, from a helicopter perspective, is hardly recognizable to me.
Would it have been possible for instance to make the part which is now dark blue white, highlighted by a blue and red line which pick up the mountain form (on the white)?
And Visma, the letters which are now white, could then have been black, which I think is their original colour?

Last edited:
Reactions: RedheadDane
I guess I'm just very traditional when it comes to national champion jerseys. Preferably full flags, or flagbands on white background. However, I do realise that some countries don't actually use the FLAG, but rather some other motif - like Bennett's Kiwi jersey - and that some flags are just considerably more difficult to use.

@TJV-SK

Thanks for the insight.

As for the jersey design. Design is always a bit subjective and it is usually hard to please everybody. From being a Slovenian point of view. Sticking a shape or a symbol of Triglav on something, that will usually do. For us such symbol is usually considered being an equivalent of a flag. Especially when it comes to sport. From an international fan point of view i could understand on how one could say something is lacking. Not having any special association when seeing a shape of Triglav.

One thing i struggled with just a bit was making a clear distinction in between Roglič and Sergio Andrés Higuita García, when screening the peloton. It took around two stages for being able to make a clear distinction when just glancing over the peloton.

It looks like he doesn't have his own thread yet (or does he?), but what about Tobias Foss today, huh. Imagine if he didn't attack with Bennett, he could maybe have stayed with Bernal and Buchmann in the end. Future Primoz Roglic in the making? We have to see him in the high mountains but without a doubt he should be Jumbo priority #1 in this Giro from now on and have Bennett work for him. At least till he shows he doesn't have it on the long climbs.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It was a brilliant performance by him today. I wonder how much time he lost to Bernal by having to pace Bennett on stage 4. At the time it was probably the right decision, given that Bennett was the proven GC rider, and we of course still don't have any idea about how Foss is going to do in the high mountains, but it might still be valuable time to have lost come the end of the race. I do think it will be hard for him to stay with the best though.

The new Roglic is Jonas of course, Foss is more like a mix between Dumoulin and Steven ;).
Jokes aside, Tobias in fact remind me a bit of young Tom, because he can pace himself climbing without blowing up even when he is dropped and is great in TT (not Tom level of course),
but he also seems to have Kruijswijk's ability to deteriorate less over 3 weeks than most of his rivals, this was made clear in the Avenir 2017 and 2019.

Foss, in my opinion, is tailor-made for GTs and especially for the Giro..

It looked good and entertaining but we all more or less knew it ain't going to happen. Maybe it was more of a PR thing. Look, we are still here, having fun and going strong. To steal the spotlight from Ineos, making JV sponsors happy. And we all seen on how Bernal reacted, give the spotlight back!

Reactions: bNator
The new Roglic is Jonas of course, Foss is more like a mix between Dumoulin and Steven ;).
Jokes aside, Tobias in fact remind me a bit of young Tom, because he can pace himself climbing without blowing up even when he is dropped and is great in TT (not Tom level of course),
but he also seems to have Kruijswijk's ability to deteriorate less over 3 weeks than most of his rivals, this was made clear in the Avenir 2017 and 2019.

Foss, in my opinion, is tailor-made for GTs and especially for the Giro..
He was a pleasant surprise, maybe he could have been even better if the whole team didn't pull out of the Giro last year after Steven tested positive. He would have had some experience when it comes to riding a gt.

What's the deal with Teunissen? Should he really be selected for the Tour team? I like him as a rider, but I think riding a 2.1 race in May coming back from an injury it's not enough to be in proper shape coming July (end of June). Wasn't he scheduled to ride CdD at first, what happened?

• Wow
Slight concern about injuries and form before Tour.. WvA injury, supposedly not in top form, Vingegaard is slighy off (but then suddenly on form for TT??), Kruijswijk renaissance just does not seem to be coming anytime soon (or ever). Dumoulin MIA did not help either.

What looked like an abslutely insane team at the start of the year appears to be crumbling a bit. Or maybe it's just Jumbo playing the mental games and try to appear as the underdogs, we'll see.

• Wow
Slight concern about injuries and form before Tour.. WvA injury, supposedly not in top form, Vingegaard is slighy off (but then suddenly on form for TT??), Kruijswijk renaissance just does not seem to be coming anytime soon (or ever). Dumoulin MIA did not help either.

What looked like an abslutely insane team at the start of the year appears to be crumbling a bit. Or maybe it's just Jumbo playing the mental games and try to appear as the underdogs, we'll see.
No mental games.

I think they got heavily overrated based on the 2020 Tour and Ineos being shambles in that. If you put Jumbo vs Ineos choo choo trains up against each other only Roglic and Van Aert are better wagons than the respective wagons on the Ineos train.

They never had ridiculous depth. Kuss is a bit overrated IMO. Kruijswijk isn't good enough to be a secondary leader to Roglic. Dumoulin being his 2017 self would change everything, but he isn't.

Gesink getting dropped harder than Froome and yet almost no one is talking about it. He's in the Tour squad, too. You can't make this **** up.

Dawg at least has the horror crash excuse (and is probably trying harder).

Not sure if Tony Martin still has it, either.

Affini should have always made the TDF squad IMO. Foss probably also. I'm just talking fire power. Tony Martin may be great to keep the spirits up or as a mentor, but then make him a DS.

Affini was great throughout the Giro, but has little to show for it, unless he values podium places. Ganna was always going to win both TTs. A waste of resources, IMO, if they really want to take on UAE and INEOS at the Tour.

Van Aert I'm not worried about. He may have actually doubts, but I think he'll be more than alright.

TRENDING THREADS