• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Visma - Lease a Bike

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Wout still looking for stage wins it seems, personally I think he's clearly somewhat off his best and the team should just get behind Roglic 100% as apart from Pog he probably has the beating of the rest despite the road rash:
Ultimately, however, having saved himself on the previous two sprint days, the Jumbo-Visma all-rounder was again disappointed in Châteauroux, taking eighth place as Mark Cavendish (Deceuninck-QuickStep) celebrated his second stage win of the Tour.

The Belgian, who won two stages at last year's race, said a misjudgement in the finishing straight was to blame for him being out of contention in the final.

"I think for me the yellow jersey isn't possible anymore. The two guys in front of me both have the goal to stay there and not lose time. I don't really believe in this and would like to focus on stage wins.

"I feel quite good, but it's just a small margin between this result and wins. I'm still looking for it and I'll keep chasing.

"I still believe in it," he added, referring to taking a stage win at this Tour de France. "I'm not too far from it. I'm just good but not super yet."

Reactions: Carols and Rackham
Wout still looking for stage wins it seems, personally I think he's clearly somewhat off his best and the team should just get behind Roglic 100% as apart from Pog he probably has the beating of the rest despite the road rash
Clearly I was very wrong (a brilliant stage some consolation :) ) and Rog's condition was worse than I thought. Will be interesting to see the tactics over the next few days with Wout up there on GC.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I like the fact that the team is being realistic and reminding everyone - well... I suppose mostly Danish people... - that he can't be expected to be a top-notch GC rider this quick.

Absolutely not. Especially since he didn't plan for that. I'm more curious for whether they will go for van Aert know, or whether he'll get to do his best without a helper role binding him. And if so, a top 10 would be incredible!

Tour starts and all eyes and cameras are on Roglič and Pogačar. Commentators saying what is Roglič doing. Froome saying common mateship. I know, why would Froome say that, he is not Australian. He would likely use the term bloke. Or something like that. Anyway, at some point people start to notice. As it really shows. Where is van Aert? First they check in the grupetto. Nope, not there. A bit of panic is introduced. Finally they send a motorcycle with a camera up the road. After a few minutes of not so casual cruising. Yes there they are, van Aert and Sagan. Sagan yelling at van Aert let them go and all the shouting was to no avail.

Was close. Just couldn't see Cavendish being there.

P.S. Was green hence i just thought Sagan.

• Haha
I like the fact that the team is being realistic and reminding everyone - well... I suppose mostly Danish people... - that he can't be expected to be a top-notch GC rider this quick.
I agree with this, and yet . . . that time trial. Guys built for climbing very rarely can do the race of truth that well. It bodes well for Jonas as a future GC guy (if his climbing ability is equally strong).

From overall perspective i don't feel guys like van der Poel and van Aert have a realistic chance this year. If i am not mistaken i read somewhere van Aert already dismissed this idea himself. For GC you for example need to weight a bit less and he is not there this year.

Vingegaard is likely their next natural choice.

Last edited:
#samenwinnen became every man for himself in this Tour.

Van Aert had his goals, Vingegaard has his goals, Sepp Kuss wanted the stage etc. no one worked for a collective goal & that has been the case since day one. The only misfortunes they didn't bring upon themselves were the crashes day 1 & the Gesink abandon (after Thomas caused the crash).

The rest (including Roglic's disaster) was all caused by horrible tactics & split objectives between WVA's personal ambitions on one side & the GC fight on the other.

Van Aert had his goals, Vingegaard has his goals, Sepp Kuss wanted the stage etc. no one worked for a collective goal & that has been the case since day one. The only misfortunes they didn't bring upon themselves were the crashes day 1 & the Gesink abandon (after Thomas caused the crash).

The rest (including Roglic's disaster) was all caused by horrible tactics & split objectives between WVA's personal ambitions on one side & the GC fight on the other.
So in the end they decided to merge WVA's personal ambitions and the GC fight...

Zeeman said in an interview Vingegaard can try to ride a GC without any pressure from the team. No harm if it doesn't work out. I assume that's why they aren't even trying to support him (why is Kruijswijk here anyway?) with someone to look after/over him in the mountains. In a way that might actually work, just stick to following or choosing your own tempo. But it's clear the team is drifting. Kuss can't even follow 2nd rate climbers anymore, Kruijswijk gets dropped when there is a bump in the road. If Vingegaard can follow Kelderman, Carapaz, Uran... he can actually go for a podium if he keeps it up, with the ITT in mind. Maybe van Aert can still go for a stagewin. Van der Poel gone, Merlier gone, Démare gone...

It might still turn out to be an "ok" Tour for the team, but they could also go home empty handed.

Roglic crashed because he was where he shouldn't be. How WVA is relevant requires more imagination than what was visible on the broadcasts. Losing Gesink and having Kuss, etc. scattered in the peloton was as much a product of the chaos and courses on the first stages. WVA was usually where everyone else should have been.

TRENDING THREADS