• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Visma - Lease a Bike

Page 54 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The politics involved in that team selection will be fascinating.
Am I just imagining this or is the Dutch/Rabofail federation not that fond of Quickstep? I seem to recall a bit of disappointment when Terpstra won the national championships.
There is/was bad blood between Terpstra and Rabo, he was never part of their developmental team and always a bit of an outsider. Then there's also the fact that he seems to be pretty unlikable on and off the bike..

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I fear you are gravely overestimating exactly what Groenewegen would be able to offer in a supporting role.

If Groenewegen would know he is going to TDF 2022 in a supporting role then his base preparation and form would be different. I don't see any special reason on why he couldn't be there, as support, until that last 100m or 50m. As there is where van Aert is lacking. The rest is fine.

If Groenewegen would know he is going to TDF 2022 in a supporting role then his base preparation and form would be different. I don't see any special reason on why he couldn't be there, as support, until that last 100m or 50m. As there is where van Aert is lacking. The rest is fine.
Why would you even want that? First of all, now, Groenewegen lacks the skills to act as a leadout. He has no experience working for a team, let alone in the biggest stage race of all, he's used to being taken care of himself. He has trouble getting over hilly terrain... all the time knowing the team has plenty of riders that could actually be of use. They could take Foss as support for GC, they could bring Vanhooydonck to support Van Aert.

I don't know why you have this fixation to get Groenewegen in the TDF squad. Bringing him as a domestique is a waste as much for himself as it is for the rest of the team.

Groenewegen goes to Giro for sure.
The TDF team is for sure with at least these 6 people:
Roglic
Vingegaard
Van Aert
Teunissen
Dennis
Kuss

Then you have 2 places which are not certain and they have to pick from the following:
Gesink
Dumoulin
Kruiswijk
Foss
Affini
Laporte
Van Hooydonck

A lot will depend on Van Aert's demands and if Dumo wants TdF or not.
Since Dumo says he wants to go for himself I think he goes for Giro along with Foss who also probably wants to be protected again, Visma is a Norwegian company and he is the their best GC rider. Kruiswijk might also get a last chance for GC.
If Wout wants another rider then Laporte is probably included.

I'm not sure Laporte really offers much for Wout's ambitions. In the classics he can be another card to play, therefor releasing the pressure, but in the hunt for green? Teunissen is a good lead-out man for him, and positioning should not be a problem because van Aert is surprisingly good in positioning in bunch sprints himself. Affini can also be of help in the early stages of the lead-out for him.
I think he profits more from more time trialers as work horses, in case they are actually used for him, which could for instance mean keeping breaks in check for him.
On other stages these same people can be used for Roglic - only problem is that instead of having a quiet day on some stages in order to be fresh for other ones guys like Affini and Dennis would then need to work for both yellow and green...

• Sad
Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
@Logic-is-your-friend

Mainly due to the fact van Aert won't get a sprint train. If we would assume he could influence the inclusion of one cyclist. Personally i would take a cyclist that can help me where i am lacking the most. Now if you are van Aert you aren't lacking all that much in the first place. Until that final 50(0) meters or so. On a classical bunch sprint stage. Hiding behind Groenewegen (neck) could make a difference. Compared to other offerings from JV. That is all i am saying. On a stage or two. As on TDF 2022 the rest of the stages are likely not all that sprinter friendly anyway.

But all in all it looks like van Aert and Roglič already made a deal. Roglič will be his lead out man on Champs-Élysées. It's always special when the yellow jersey does that.

I would let Kuss have a go at the Giro and include Laporte instead of him.

Roglic, Vingegaard, Dumoulin, van Aert, Benoot and Dennis Will be enough to cover the mountains. And with Laporte and Teunissen you can also kill of many contenders in the cobbled stage if Roglic can follow his team mates.

Then again, Benoot could babysit Roglic in the cobbles stage and in hilly stages.
Wouldn't be a bad move if you ask me.

Exactly… But depends of course on if Benoot is the loyal teamplayer they need.

Benoot would have to be to Roglic what Hincapie was to Lance. George was such a strong guy, and this tall, strong man was completely intimidated by Lance. George was 100% loyal.

OK, Roglic is not Lance, but Primoz needs Benoot only if Benoot is loyal. Two captains are enough (Roglic, WVA)…

Obviously if Benoot goes to the tour he will have no captain aspirations at all and he will be purely a domestique.

Should not be a problem for him. Benoot seems like quite a realistic guy and he has just joined a team where at least 4 guys will be above him in the hierarchy. And you could make a case for 2-3 other guys as well.

I think that Benoot adds more from a classics point of view than from a GT one. He can be a useful helper to Van Aert in Strade, MSR and the Flemish classics and then help Roglić in Liège too.

Having said that, I think he could take Dennis' place in the Tour if Jumbo distrusts Dennis' loyalty to Roglić and he can help both Van Aert in the leadouts (even if Laporte or Affini would be better suited to this job) and Roglić in some mountain and hilly stages saving a bit of Van Aert's usual work. Still, if he doesn't go to the Tour, the Vuelta is a no-brainer.

Having said that, I think he could take Dennis' place in the Tour if Jumbo distrusts Dennis' loyalty to Roglić and he can help both Van Aert in the leadouts (even if Laporte or Affini would be better suited to this job) and Roglić in some mountain and hilly stages saving a bit of Van Aert's usual work. Still, if he doesn't go to the Tour, the Vuelta is a no-brainer.

What? Why would they sign him if they suspected this?

TRENDING THREADS