• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Visma - Lease a Bike

Page 59 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Z23UVk8tbcy9FnC5zjMmqc-970-80.jpg.webp

Looks like JV has to sort out some equipment issues before the Tour.

Milan Vaders condition is gradually improving. Next week he'll be transported to the Netherlands.

Vader was apparently woken up from an artificial coma this tuesday. Things are looking good now, his family have good hopes for a full recovery

I make here a question already made in a Giro thread, maybe here is the right place..

The way every year Jumbo visma approach the Giro is really shameful.
All the historical teams (Quick Step, Movistar, Lotto etc.) have an history of 25/30 stage wins in the Giro.
Jumbo Visma only 9 !! (but they have 1 GC win)
In the last year the bring literally ALL the best riders at Le Tour.

What can be the reason ???
I think in the netherlands there is interest for the Giro (the starting in Amsterdam 2010 and the enthusiasm for Tom win in 2017 were incredible)

Some Dutch here have an explanation ?

Other examples: Van der Poel is at the Giro. One among Mike Teunissen or Wout Van Aert could have been at Giro too (maybe only for the first 7-10 days when there are many stage thay could have won and then retire to prepare the Tour)

Sepp Kuss could have been a good leader, maybe best than Foss.

They prefer to bring in italy not their second line, but their third line !

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I make here a question already made in a Giro thread, maybe here is the right place..

All the historical teams (Quick Step, Movistar, Lotto etc.) have an history of 25/30 stage wins in the Giro.

I think in the netherlands there is interest for the Giro (the starting in Amsterdam 2010 and the enthusiasm for Tom win in 2017 were incredible)

Other examples: Van der Poel is at the Giro. One among Mike Teunissen or Wout Van Aert could have been at Giro too (maybe only for the first 7-10 days when there are many stage thay could have won and then retire to prepare the Tour)

I think at Jumbo they actually thought at the start of this year that they would play a big role in GC with Dumoulin and Foss. I think they see these guys as more stable than Kuss for a GC at the moment, even though with Dumoulin that was very questionable to begin with and Foss also hasn’t proved much.

In hindsight they should have sent at least Kruijswijk/Kuss to this giro as well and should surely have taken Kooij who is developing very well. But when they made the planning for this season I think they just made some wrong assumptions about the level their riders (especially Dumoulin) would reach here.

It was really a very poor perfomace yesterday, but I think that Foss/Oomen are still in contention for a top 10, they seems the type of guys that kept improving each day, even Bouwman who was 12th last year is that kind of rider ans was no betterr in the first week than this year. I don´t know if they are all 0 explosives but have good recovery or JUmbo takes the wrong way with no race competition just before the race.

In any case, it should be better going for stages in breakaways with Foss, Oomen, Bouwman, Leemreize, Eenkhoorn or even Dumoulin that being hanging on every day to be 10th. Maybe with some luck one of them will achieve that top 10 thanks to the breakways, just like Martin always does.

Jumbo-Visma got some absolute top riders (Van Aert, Roglic, Dennis, o.a.), but beside them the team is in depth not that strong.
It's not a team full of winners. Where QuickStep, Ineos and UAE are winning with a broad variety of riders, Jumbo isn't.
Their main focus nowadays is the classic squad (see also the transfer of Van Baarle).

just look at the Giro squad.
Dumoulin did two good races since his grand year of 2018 (Olympic TT and a fine ride in the Benelux tour), he didn't race for almost a year and now they're expecting him to be good. That's just utterly stupid.
Foss did an okay Giro last year, but never peaked. Beside that he didn't have any significant results in a stage race.
Oomen is not a leader, but a good domestique.
Van Emden and Affini are work horses and can have a decent result in a TT. But there are almost no TT km's and who are they going to work for on the flat?
Eenkhoorn and Leemreize are doing it right so far, you cannot expect so much from them.

Why didn't they bring Kooij or Dekker? They are not going to the Tour. And if/when Roglic and Vingegaard do not get a nice result in the Tour, they will try in the Vuelta, so another missed opportunity for young sprinters.

It was a clear mistake not bringing any sprinter to the Giro and if Dumoulin doesn't even manage to be in contention for any mountain stage I think we can say with a good degree of certainty that he won't return to his old self. I like him generally and would have liked him to be in contention but his recent story reminds me increasingly of Froome, with the honourable exception being his TT ability that remains very high.

thank you for your answers, however it seems to me there's a more deep reason. As I wrote JV is the only "historical" team with a poor Giro tradition.
Except Menchov win and Roglic podium they never keep the Giro on focus (kru year wa a surprise)

I don't have explanations

thank you for your answers, however it seems to me there's a more deep reason. As I wrote JV is the only "historical" team with a poor Giro tradition.
Except Menchov win and Roglic podium they never keep the Giro on focus (kru year wa a surprise)

I don't have explanations
Well obviously the Tour is more important for Jumbo and it’s predecessors, but that is the case for most teams.

I think first of all that Rabobank was a powerhouse for a time with Menchov but in the years after that the team never was among the top teams. Jumbo have only recently joined the club of cycling powerhouses again.

And while they are a powerhouse for a couple of years now this mostly came from the amazing performances of Roglic and van Aert. When it came to the second line I think this really is the first year where Jumbo seems to have some depth in their roster again.

I think with Dumoulin and Foss they really thought they would be able to use this depth at the giro this year, but due to poor performances for now that turned out wrong.

So while obviously like almost any other team they rate the Tour higher than the Giro, I think Ineos/Quickstep performing better at the giro is simply a result of being able to sent a better B-squad there in most if not all years.

Just to add another statistic: Jumbo Visma and his "ancestors" (Kwantum Hallen, Rabobank, etc.) have in their palmares 29 stage victories in Vuelta a Espana.

Only 9 (!) at Giro (in 38 years of history, team was founded in 1984).

About sponsorship reason, it's strange because:

- Giro (you can have a feeling of it searching on Google trends) have much more international resonance than Vuelta

- The team rode from his foundation to 2004 on italian bikes and groups (Colnago+Campagnolo). Nevertheless the team did not take part at Giro until 2000 (16 years after the foundation !). On the opposite the team start to take part at every Vuelta from 1991 !

It's strange.

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS