• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Visma - Lease a Bike

Page 89 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Gent-Wevelgem was on tv the whole afternoon. It barely made the 25 most watched tv programmes on Sunday. That's really poor. Same goes for the few cyclocross world cups that were broadcast on national tv.

If you compare it to speedskating, the difference is huge. That sport is way more popular with the Dutch tv audience. Which sort of undermines my argument of course, since there Jumbo also leaves as a sponsor.
How can you call it poor when you don't know what % of VRT viewers were Dutch? Nobody in their right mind who is somewhat into cycling watches NOS.

Gent-Wevelgem was on tv the whole afternoon. It barely made the 25 most watched tv programmes on Sunday. That's really poor. Same goes for the few cyclocross world cups that were broadcast on national tv.

If you compare it to speedskating, the difference is huge. That sport is way more popular with the Dutch tv audience. Which sort of undermines my argument of course, since there Jumbo also leaves as a sponsor.

How can a whole country have so poor taste in sport?

How can a whole country have so poor taste in sport?
The people of The Netherlands have a weird obsession with ''the flag''. They don't care what sport it is, but if someone with the red, white, blue is excelling, they'll watch. Until five somewhat years ago, nobody knew whether the tire of an F1 car is filled with air or sand, but ever since Verstappen is on the scene everyone and their mother (literally) is all about F1. However, if Verstappen were to lose his right leg today, they'll have run off to another sport tomorrow. Looking for the next idiot with the right color scheme next to their name. They'll use everything and anything to fill the emptiness in their lives. Weirdly enough, they are probably also the ones to turn their flags upside down in protest towards the government.

We, of course, have the questionable honour of being the undoubted kings and queens of the ice. Probably has a lot to do with the fact that we're the only country actively participating in it, but they won't care. That's why during winter all you see on television if Sven Kramer doing the same lap 3488932439248394832 times over, with Kleintje Pils blasting through the speakers.

As you can see, this is an open wound to me.

Obviously, but a 500k average for a 4 hour program of a relatively small race without heavy Dutch influence is not something I'd call poor.
You're rounding up slightly... the number is closer to 400k. And yes, that's poor, certainly if you compare it to the average speedskating race in the same timeslot, which attracts about three times as many viewers. The women's race did quite well though.

The people of The Netherlands have a weird obsession with ''the flag''. They don't care what sport it is, but if someone with the red, white, blue is excelling, they'll watch. Until five somewhat years ago, nobody knew whether the tire of an F1 car is filled with air or sand, but ever since Verstappen is on the scene everyone and their mother (literally) is all about F1. However, if Verstappen were to lose his right leg today, they'll have run off to another sport tomorrow. Looking for the next idiot with the right color scheme next to their name. They'll use everything to fill the emptiness in their lives. Weirdly enough, they are probably also the ones to turn their flags upside down in protest towards the government.

We, of course, have questionable honour of being the undoubted kings and queens of the ice. Probably has a lot to do with the fact that we're the only country actively participating in it, but they won't care. That's why during winter all you see on television if Sven Kramer doing the same lap 3488932439248394832 times over, with Kleintje Pils blasting through the speakers.

Same goes for every country, of course. You think that Belgians would watch as much cycling if they weren't successful in it? You're very Dutch in the sense that you feel the need to hate on your 'own' :) That's a very Dutch trait you don't see so much in other countries.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
The people of The Netherlands have a weird obsession with ''the flag''. They don't care what sport it is, but if someone with the red, white, blue is excelling, they'll watch. Until five somewhat years ago, nobody knew whether the tire of an F1 car is filled with air or sand, but ever since Verstappen is on the scene everyone and their mother (literally) is all about F1. However, if Verstappen were to lose his right leg today, they'll have run off to another sport tomorrow. Looking for the next idiot with the right color scheme next to their name. They'll use everything and anything to fill the emptiness in their lives. Weirdly enough, they are probably also the ones to turn their flags upside down in protest towards the government.

We, of course, have the questionable honour of being the undoubted kings and queens of the ice. Probably has a lot to do with the fact that we're the only country actively participating in it, but they won't care. That's why during winter all you see on television if Sven Kramer doing the same lap 3488932439248394832 times over, with Kleintje Pils blasting through the speakers.

I feel you.

I don't know whether you should treat the open wound with air or sand, though.

Can confirm.

I've seen people lose their *** *** over Verstappen who barely even give a *** about football. I never cared about F1 but that *** de facto has made me dislike Verstappen.

• Sad
I was led to believe by a certain Dutch poster this was behaviour typical of Belgians.

I think it's just part of the human condition. Yearning to belong and identify. I see mainly French guys on twitter pointing fingers for "watts the fck" efforts of cyclists. But when skinny climber Gaudu outsprints Van Aert, then festivities ensue. Because a small skinny French climber was able to outsprint a big muscular doped rider, what a performance. VAM or w/kg of Roglic and Evenepoel in Catalunya were again evidence of juice running out of their ears. But 19 year old Lenny Martinez, who just so happens to be French, only finishes 40 seconds later with still previously determined "alien" numbers, that's just normal. It's neither typically Dutch, Belgian or French. It's common basically everywhere. China, Russia, USA, Italy, UK. It doesn't really matter. What is worse is the hypocrites who like to pretend they are better than others, who claim they / their country / their culture... don't do this.

There are differences, though, it happens in every country, but the numbers are a bit different. :)

Us Germans are pretty much the same as the Dutch, then, in that we love to see sports we are rather good at (women's biathlon), but we also like to hate on our country and countrymen.

Us Germans are pretty much the same as the Dutch, then, in that we love to see sports we are rather good at (women's biathlon), but we also like to hate on our country and countrymen.
That's not different at all. Today an interview on Wielerflits with Zeeman (who is Dutch to be clear) how he finds it strange how Belgians treat their heroes/stars. Referring to Van Aert gifting GW to Laporte. Maybe you should read how Evenepoel was treated in 2021. So no, Germans, nor Dutch, are special in that regard either. It's not just in sports either. Belgians widely refer to Belgium as "apenland" (in terms of laws and politics).

Last edited:
Reactions: Riek s
I don't see how that's dumb? Lots of people simply don't like dominance. You basically need to see at as compliment. I rooted against Mercedes in F1 for years, no I root against Red Bull, I just want more teams to win things, it's gets boring to me otherwise. Same with cycling. I disliked Sky, I disliked QS, now I dislike Jumbo (they're worse imo). Those teams usually get arrogant too.

I simply don't like races where I'm 90% sure which team is going to win.

To me, Sky was the worst with their god-awful train in the mountains. QS? I never really disliked em. Pat sometimes of course, but QS as a team I still found quite fun to watch. I don't dislike Jumbo a lot either. I agree that a hugely dominating team makes races less fun to watch, but in the classics, I mind it less than in GC's.

That's also because the rest of the teams have failed bigtime on occasion, especially in Gent Wevelgem. They all failed to came together to chase em down. And it's only the races without Pog and Mathieu where Jumbo really dominates. Sunday? All bets are off. Same goes for P-R. Nice to have a team with a lot of great riders, but in P-R it's every man for himself.

I was led to believe by a certain Dutch poster this was behaviour typical of Belgians.

I think it's just part of the human condition. Yearning to belong and identify. I see mainly French guys on twitter pointing fingers for "watts the fck" efforts of cyclists. But when skinny climber Gaudu outsprints Van Aert, then festivities ensue. Because a small skinny French climber was able to outsprint a big muscular doped rider, what a performance. VAM or w/kg of Roglic and Evenepoel in Catalunya were again evidence of juice running out of their ears. But 19 year old Lenny Martinez, who just so happens to be French, only finishes 40 seconds later with still previously determined "alien" numbers, that's just normal. It's neither typically Dutch, Belgian or French. It's common basically everywhere. China, Russia, USA, Italy, UK. It doesn't really matter. What is worse is the hypocrites who like to pretend they are better than others, who claim they / their country / their culture... don't do this.
I agree, but I also gotta add that cycling is a bit different in that regard. There is no sport where I came across so much enthousiasts (now I'm talking real fans) that don't care about nationality as in cycling. Sure, a lot still do, but compared to other sports, nationalism plays a smaller part I feel.

I agree, but I also gotta add that cycling is a bit different in that regard. There is no sport where I came across so much enthousiasts (now I'm talking real fans) that don't care about nationality as in cycling. Sure, a lot still do, but compared to other sports, nationalism plays a smaller part I feel.
I guess it easier for some of us... I grew up in the 1960s and 70s in the USA and tried to follow two (then) unpopular sports -- cycling and football/soccer. Maybe that's part of the reason, but in my heart I follow the rider more than the team, and certainly not the country.

I guess it easier for some of us... I grew up in the 1960s and 70s in the USA and tried to follow two (then) unpopular sports -- cycling and football/soccer. Maybe that's part of the reason, but in my heart I follow the rider more than the team, and certainly not the country.
I think that really depends on the country and the sport specifically. You will not find many nationalistic Belgian skiing fans, simply because there are no Belgian skiing fans, because there are no Belgian skiers. It's just that simple. On the other hand, Belgium is a small country, and cycling is big here (more so than anywhere else). So it has a huge percentage of cycling fans, that means there will be a lot of excited / passionate cycling fans that will be rooting for Belgian riders. It's just common sense. I'm sure you can think of certain countries in combination with certain sports, and be able to predict whether you'd find crazed fans or not.

That kind of fanaticism about a single sport is impressive when viewed by an outsider to their culture. I was in the arena at the 10,000 meter Olympic speed skating final in Vancouver ( where Kramer won but, oops, lost). I think the venture’s seating capacity was 7,000; roughly 6,900 were Dutch fans wearing orange. Pretty impressive!

There are differences, though, it happens in every country, but the numbers are a bit different. :)

I suppose the personality of the athlete also contributes a lot to the fanaticism of the fans. The Germans were crazy about Schumacher, but when Vettel dominated F1 the enthusiasm was much lower

Figure skating lives a shadow existence in the Netherlands though. Or was it a fan favorite in the days of Dianne de Leeuw?

TRENDING THREADS