• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Visma - Lease a Bike

Page 96 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
FxKaTKMWIAErv3P

So it's pretty much official now, i.e. Jumbo as a sponsor is pulling out of cycling (& all sports):

They're apparently ready to quit before the end of the contract (2024) if Plugge finds a new sponsor between now & then.

So it's pretty much official now, i.e. Jumbo as a sponsor is pulling out of cycling (& all sports):

They're apparently ready to quit before the end of the contract (2024) if Plugge finds a new sponsor between now & then.
The total amount they're investing in sports per year is 20 million euros. That's including their sponsorship of Max Verstappen, of speedskating, cycling and whatever else they do. Puts into perspective the money a possible replacement for the cycling team would have to invest. And it also shows how much ROI you get from adding your name to this sport, because I doubt the shirt sponsor of a medium sized football team would get this much attention by paying pretty much the same amount of money.

I'm really curious if and what type of sponsor Plugge manages to find. In the Netherlands I really don't see who would want to do it, except maybe PON (the owners of Cervélo). So then an international sponsor makes more sense (also the reason why Jumbo quit, basically).

Reactions: Sandisfan
The total amount they're investing in sports per year is 20 million euros. That's including their sponsorship of Max Verstappen, of speedskating, cycling and whatever else they do. Puts into perspective the money a possible replacement for the cycling team would have to invest. And it also shows how much ROI you get from adding your name to this sport, because I doubt the shirt sponsor of a medium sized football team would get this much attention by paying pretty much the same amount of money.

I'm really curious if and what type of sponsor Plugge manages to find. In the Netherlands I really don't see who would want to do it, except maybe PON (the owners of Cervélo). So then an international sponsor makes more sense (also the reason why Jumbo quit, basically).
Isn't Mapei paying Sassuolo around 25M per year for being their shirt and stadium sponsor?

• Wow
Those contracts beyond 2025 show they have trust from a sponsor. I just hope it's not Qatar or something like that,enough sportwashing.

I'm surprised Lidl went for Trek instead of waiting half a year and replace Jumbo. The color scheme would also fit. They want GC but there are very few GC contenders available on the market for Trek to get.

Those contracts beyond 2025 show they have trust from a sponsor. I just hope it's not Qatar or something like that,enough sportwashing.

I'm surprised Lidl went for Trek instead of waiting half a year and replace Jumbo. The color scheme would also fit. They want GC but there are very few GC contenders available on the market for Trek to get.
Depends on what's in these contracts, of course. A smart agent doesn't sign a contract with a soon-to-be sponsorless team without some freedom to leave if things don't pan out.

Is it just the local Belgian Lidl importer sponsoring Trek, as I've seen nothing from other Lidl importers in regards to the new sponsor deal. Similar to Ford in France sponsoring Rockrider MTB, rather than Ford Europe.l

Isn't Mapei paying Sassuolo around 25M per year for being their shirt and stadium sponsor?
Maybe, I don't know. Just goes to show: I follow football reasonably well (not Italian football though) but I had no idea that Mapei sponsored a football team. If you follow cycling even remotely well you know that there's a team called Jumbo.

Is it just the local Belgian Lidl importer sponsoring Trek, as I've seen nothing from other Lidl importers in regards to the new sponsor deal. Similar to Ford in France sponsoring Rockrider MTB, rather than Ford Europe.l
It's a Luxembourgeois team though. If you're the Belgian Lidl you'd rather align yourself with Quickstep and Evenepoel.

Maybe, I don't know. Just goes to show: I follow football reasonably well (not Italian football though) but I had no idea that Mapei sponsored a football team. If you follow cycling even remotely well you know that there's a team called Jumbo.
I guess the Mapei-Sassuolo thing only has a certain value for the Italian market, a top cycling team for the same amount of money is probably a lot more visible on an international level. I guess it comes down to what the company values more, the domestic or the European/international market.

I guess the Mapei-Sassuolo thing only has a certain value for the Italian market, a top cycling team for the same amount of money is probably a lot more visible on an international level. I guess it comes down to what the company values more, the domestic or the European/international market.
True, although I'm Dutch and an Ajax fan and if you put a gun to my head, I couldn't tell you who their shirt sponsor is. I doubt the majority of Dutch people know.

Mapei is also B2B and family-run, with a very long and storied history in sponsoring sports. Quite a few major football sponsors tend to be B2B, as it becomes a bit of a point of prestige and to impress clients rather than as advertisement for their product (no construction company will buy Mapei purely because of advertising - they buy it because of its rep in the industry!). Teamviewer and Manchester United springs to mind - how did that come about?

Cycling is also a bit of a niche sport outside of its heartlands. Jumbo is a NL only company, and I had no idea what they actually did. But if it's a company wide decision from a newly joined CEO, then I guess they have numbers we don't/it's a bad decision and they'll regret it. Who knows.

• Wow
Mapei is also B2B and family-run, with a very long and storied history in sponsoring sports. Quite a few major football sponsors tend to be B2B, as it becomes a bit of a point of prestige and to impress clients rather than as advertisement for their product (no construction company will buy Mapei purely because of advertising - they buy it because of its rep in the industry!). Teamviewer and Manchester United springs to mind - how did that come about?

Cycling is also a bit of a niche sport outside of its heartlands. Jumbo is a NL only company, and I had no idea what they actually did. But if it's a company wide decision from a newly joined CEO, then I guess they have numbers we don't/it's a bad decision and they'll regret it. Who knows.
Honestly, Fassa Bortolo and Liquigas still benefit from the name recognition nowadays. Does anyone care that Atalanta's stadium is the Gewiss stadium and that they are their back sponsor?

• Wow
Jumbo is a privately owned company, by the Van Eerd family. Grandfather Van Eerd was a big cycling fan, but he passed away earlier in the year. Last year his son Frits van Eerd, CEO of the company, got arrested for a money laundering scandal in motor racing. That's when the whole sports sponsorship came under scrutiny. I think looking at it purely from a financial standpoint it didn't make much sense, although the current CEO is probably more of a cycling fan than Frits van Eerd ever was (he's more into motor racing and F1, never missing an opportunity to take a selfie with Max Verstappen).

TRENDING THREADS