• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Visma - Lease a Bike

Page 97 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Honestly, Fassa Bortolo and Liquigas still benefit from the name recognition nowadays. Does anyone care that Atalanta's stadium is the Gewiss stadium and that they are their back sponsor?
I think like you say name recognition is much stronger/tighter bound than in football. Scope is somewhat smaller, though, and Gewiss is another that is mostly B2B and it sometimes feels like it's advertisment through prestige rather than brand awareness, if that makes sense.

Mapei is a bit different as I think everyone in Italy connects Mapei to Sassuolo. They basically created the club's sporting success and brought it to Serie A, and they've been much much heavily involved in a sponsor as they are also the owner of the club (so much more of a long term investment should buyers ever come knocking). Kind of a Berlusconi-Milan/UAE-City situation, just more pleasant.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Is it just the local Belgian Lidl importer sponsoring Trek, as I've seen nothing from other Lidl importers in regards to the new sponsor deal. Similar to Ford in France sponsoring Rockrider MTB, rather than Ford Europe.l

it cant be, surely they wouldnt have enough money for it alone ?

Segafredo were reportedly funding 40ish% of Treks budget, which for the mens team is going to be roughly a 7-10million dollars cost, and the womens team (who at the time Trek said it was due to Segafredos funding that allowed them to create the team in the first place) are also supposed to be the best funded, which probably adds another 2-4million on top at least as their costs are ballooning year on year.

Considering most of the team was not initially preparing for this Giro edition i must say they did a good job. On many occasions Bouwman was there to lend Rogla his bike. Affini swiftly bringing him back. Dennis brought a lot of stability to the team, usually being the last one to go before Kuss and Rogla. Hessmann was not afraid to stick his nose in the wind. Oomen and Gloag doing their best to keep the numbers for as far as possible. Kuss again mythical in what he does the best. Once Remco left the race JV didn't really have to blow the race up anymore. Rogla in my opinion rode most maturely on a GT race so far. It suits Roglič, when the team is really dedicated in supporting him and when they don't race too aggressively. Like all the time. Likely a good recipe to try out for the Tour.

Chapeau!

Wout van Aert, Christophe Laporte, Tiesj Benoot, Dylan van Baarle and Nathan van Hooydonck. 5 of 7 are classics people for a mountainous TDF. Kuss already did the Giro. Steven crashes a lot. This does not bode well for a defence
The only change to last year with that team would be Van Baarle for Roglič. I agree that it looks bad and they really need everyone to perform 100% like last year to have the depth in the mountains. Benoot was still very useful last year even though you wouldn’t think of him as a great climber. On stage 11 last year, all the Jumbo climbing doms were amazing for example. But I think they could be able to replicate it this year because…

Wout dropped Pog on a TDF climb didnt he?
Here I go again

DpQ9YJl.png

• Haha
Wout van Aert, Christophe Laporte, Tiesj Benoot, Dylan van Baarle and Nathan van Hooydonck. 5 of 7 are classics people for a mountainous TDF. Kuss already did the Giro. Steven crashes a lot. This does not bode well for a defence
They could do with another climber, like Kelderman for Benoot, but it's a mistake to think like UAE that you can stick a team full of climbers and that's how you win a Tour de France. Last year Pogacar got really lucky that he didn't have any bad luck in the first week, because he didn't have the team to correct any possible mishaps. Allrounders is the way to go, and Jumbo have plenty of those.

It would be pretty ironic if the Giro selection was better in the mountains than the TdF team.

There's also a massive elephant in the room when it comes to Jumbo & the Tour, i.e. they take their biggest names. That's all. So the fact it's got a real classics vibe is really just a reflection of 'who' the biggest stars in the team are.

It seemed to work out okay for Jumbo last year though, so we'll see.

It would be pretty ironic if the Giro selection was better in the mountains than the TdF team.

There's also a massive elephant in the room when it comes to Jumbo & the Tour, i.e. they take their biggest names. That's all. So the fact it's got a real classics vibe is really just a reflection of 'who' the biggest stars in the team are.

It seemed to work out okay for Jumbo last year though, so we'll see.
The Giro team wasn't that strong, they just had 7 guys there with 30 guys left then with 15 left only Kuss would be there. And that's in very depleted Giro field.

They could do with another climber, like Kelderman for Benoot, but it's a mistake to think like UAE that you can stick a team full of climbers and that's how you win a Tour de France. Last year Pogacar got really lucky that he didn't have any bad luck in the first week, because he didn't have the team to correct any possible mishaps. Allrounders is the way to go, and Jumbo have plenty of those.
I don't think the problem with this squad is Benoot (altough i'd give Tratnik a shot in his place if i was JV). Rather, Van Hooydonck Laporte and Van Baarle are an ovekill as far as rouleurs go, considering you also have WVA. I think they should swap one of these 3 with a climber.

TRENDING THREADS