• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Jumbo-Visma

Page 33 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I would provide context about recent injury for any rider where it was relevant for a performance used as benchmark. Just the same if I saw someone use Thomas's ITTs in last year's Tour as benchmark for how much he has improved in TTs since then.

I am not sure that being 0.5 s/km faster than Bouwman (using a rider on the same team and close in build) is much to shout about either

Yeah, maybe mostly a move to buy possible influential critics / turn the tide in social media in their favour.
I think they're the best in the business on what's basically the twitter/influencer side of things. But getting them as strategy consultants seems ludicrous.

Either they're way overselling it or they're insanely good at selling themselves within the cycling world.

But they criticise Jumbo all the time so the trade-off for Jumbo... I doubt it was as big as they wanted.

Benji is a Pog fan. They are both Pog fans.

But I do wonder if they were swayed by Patrick foresawing Jonas breakthrough last year.

The most important thing to look at when it comes to analysis of bias within media sources isn't what they're saying, it's to consider what they aren't saying.

This is universal, provide criticism within a narrow window of discourse to give the illusion of impartiality, then when the real issues arise you can safety ignore them, pointing to previous criticism as proof of objectivity.

I am not sure that being 0.5 s/km faster than Bouwman (using a rider on the same team and close in build) is much to shout about either
It's not. But it's a far better benchmark than the NC.

The next ITT where he was riding for a result was the UAE Tour ITT in 2021 where he clearly improved (not surprising given his age). Both his Itzulia and Dauphiné ITTs were good that year.

Today was mutant, just like Contador in Annecy was (they have a similar build as well). But from 2019 to today, I'm not sure his ITT has seen a greater improvement than his climbing, and I don't think it's more ridiculous than what else he has done in this Tour. In absolute terms, he is off the charts.

Last edited:
I think they're the best in the business on what's basically the twitter/influencer side of things. But getting them as strategy consultants seems ludicrous.

Either they're way overselling it or they're insanely good at selling themselves within the cycling world.
I believe they are good at selling themselves.

I would just have been so less shocked had they been working for UAE.

Jumbo cannot have gotten that much out of it.

The most important thing to look at when it comes to analysis of bias within media sources isn't what they're saying, it's to consider what they aren't saying.

This is universal, provide criticism within a narrow window of discourse to give the illusion of impartiality, then when the real issues arise you can safety ignore them, pointing to previous criticism as proof of objectivity.

Chomsky :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat:

Reactions: Tim Cahill
And I am watching Benji Facebook. He was a full stack javascript developer.

Seriously Jumbo hired a coder that also plays PCM. And is part of a podcast.

Still doesn't make sense. Would make more sense hiring Patrick, but I guess Benji being a Belgian also helps?

And I am watching Benji Facebook. He was a full stack javascript developer.

Seriously Jumbo hired a coder that also plays PCM. And is part of a podcast.

Still doesn't make sense. Would make more sense hiring Patrick, but I guess Benji being a Belgian also helps?

Leave Benji alone, he's a big Nibali fan. I suspect he's a little bit lost now that Nibs is retiring.

Leave Benji alone, he's a big Nibali fan. I suspect he's a little bit lost now that Nibs is retiring.
Reminds me of his shark sweater!

I'd say I've been as close to a Benji fan as they come. Perfect Teddy bear with a soft heart image. The way he took Lopez side against Movistar etc.

But then his stance on doping I cannot agree with and his working for Jumbo really makes me wonder, and question his ethics. (To the point that I might stop watching.).

Reactions: Rollthedice
In terms of his credentials as a clean cyclist, he is.

That was my point. People really can't fawn & drool all over Wout van Aert whilst demonizing Lance Armstrong as a cheat. If such people exist they're either complicit in the current scam or completely naïve to the point of being tragically child-like in terms of gullibility.

You just can't go from full doped peloton 17 years ago to the same performances now & expect people to swallow a rosy story about clean riders. Especially considering the craziness of the performances in question.

I don't have much sympathy for B&B Hotels tbh. It's not their riders, it's their team manager Jérôme Pineau, i.e. he has a habit of treating his riders like garbage: Cyclisme. Jérôme Pineau très cash : « Certains de mes coureurs m’ont fait honte… » - Cyclisme - Le Télégramme (letelegramme.fr)

"I'm ashamed of some of my riders" etc.

He's a d*ck IMO.
He spent much of his career riding for Bernaudeau and then Patrick Lefevre, so it's not massively surprising.

Reactions: Ilmaestro99
given his ridiculous progress, who's to say Wout can't become a GT contender?
just wait a couple more years...

What would be really interesting: if he didn't change to become a perfect climber, but simply took the time on all the other stages. All the times he worked for the others, he would have worked for himself, and then raced against Pogacar... could he win?

• Love
Reactions: noob
The Benji case is making my head explode. Why did Jumbo hire him? I mean on what merits? And why reveal it now? Why reveal it at all?
Glad I am not the only one.

I just cannot get my head around it.

And that deleted tweet by Patrick…he was literally thanking himself o_O and the guy who had tweeted suspisions about mcnulty days before.

On the podcast today they also thank Merijn and Grischa….

How on earth can they pretend they are objective. How? Do they have split personalities?

I think this is even sneakier than actual doping.

Benji befriending Pogi for example, smalltalking…He says Pogi knew he worked for an opposing team but Urska likes a post about someone saying riders did not know about the conflict of interest…

Both Tadej and Urska liked Kate’s post so I dont think we heard the whole story…

sigh

Lanterne Rouge also turned into a joke as soon as the dollars started pouring in. Even deleted some (not all, last time I checked) old videos about clearly mutant performances where he mocked known or heavily suspected dopers.

Kind of predictable tbh.
Yes he deleted his Alarcon video from Grandissima! It was the only one I watched, wondered why it had disappeared

TRENDING THREADS