• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Jumbo-Visma

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
WVA is ridiculous on his own but the "train" couldn't even drop Pello Bilbao today. i dont want to keep comparing them to Sky because it doesn't mean they're clean either, but Sky had times where they had Froome, 3 domestiques, and 3 or 4 other GC guys hanging on for dear life. it's really not even close.

Reactions: JosephK
There is nothing unusual in a top funded team slaughtering the opposition when riding in this controlled tempo fashion. It is a little suspect that JV targets stage wins with WvA as well as yellow (rather than focussing all resources on one cause).

The most suspect thing I saw today though was Roglic doing a Froome-esque soft pedal in the closing 100ms. I think he was clearly strong enough to take the stage and UK commentators immediately speculated that he had given Pogacar the win, before taking the remark back.

The thing is, such is the history of cycling, if I was clean and winning, I'd consider throwing a stage as well, purely to avoid getting a media grilling and sly remarks about my performance.

Even Sky didn't have a sprinter dropping pure climbers and pulling an entire group of them half way up a HC summit finish.

No, but Wiggins once won a sprint in the Dauphine though.

I am not saying that WVA is pan y agua.

But I have seen on my timeline Sky / Ineos fans calling out WVA who completely ignore the fact Kwiato and co dropping pure climbers like they were going out of fashion. Or one year 'Gee' doing E3 no bother then being a GC contender.

So, what's up with the whole 'but Sky', 'but US Postal' line of arguments? A guy who won bunch sprints is 24th on GC after working and the retort is 'but Hincapie'. Really?

Today, for example, they were 40 seconds faster on the Selle de Fromentel, 40 seconds faster on the Biche and 2:35 faster on the Grand Colombier than on the Ain stage 1 month ago. And that 2:35 improvement had the guy who won 2 bunch sprints pulling for practically 1/2 of the climb.

There is nothing unusual in a top funded team slaughtering the opposition when riding in this controlled tempo fashion. It is a little suspect that JV targets stage wins with WvA as well as yellow (rather than focussing all resources on one cause).

The most suspect thing I saw today though was Roglic doing a Froome-esque soft pedal in the closing 100ms. I think he was clearly strong enough to take the stage and UK commentators immediately speculated that he had given Pogacar the win, before taking the remark back.

The thing is, such is the history of cycling, if I was clean and winning, I'd consider throwing a stage as well, purely to avoid getting a media grilling and sly remarks about my performance.
hm, but if Roglic is doping I ll guess Pogacar is doing it also, so the best thing for Pogacar would also be to let Roglic win

Van Aert isn't the first rider to apparently be able to do everything at once but he's probably the most successful, certainly in the modern era.

I can't believe that doping has changed fundamentally since the highs of sky, if he's on. anything it'll be much the same, so we're left with the option of him being a once in a generation talent. But we've already got another couple of those knocking about at the moment....

Aggghhhh....nothing makes sense any more!

I think a lot of performances/non-performances this year can be attributed to coronavirus. It's likely that some riders took advantage of less testing, but it's also likely -- maybe even certain -- that lockdowns affected some riders more than others. WvA was ridiculous yesterday but it was just as odd to see Bernal being dropped and Porte hanging in there...

Bootlicker nr. 1 already starting to defend them

Of course using the kill it all argument:
To make accusations or to undermine the credibility of a team, you need more than just establishing that someone is cycling fast. Positive tests, witness statements, documents, dubious values, tampering with the rules.

TRENDING THREADS