• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Jumbo-Visma

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think the stringing out of riders and dead riders leaving gaps in the peloton was massive here.

I dont know if Ferraris formula underestimates for high speeds but 8.2 doesnt sound crazy for 2 minutes especially at a climb with a length where the launching speed from the flat is still very significant

Not more ridiculous than Roglic or WvAs individual abilities IMO

Reactions: Luthor
I don't know why people are talking so much about Yates or Quintana as a reference point when this was basically a Classics scenario with an attack on a short hill. Not surprising that someone like Laporte is better than Yates at something like that, did you see Yates at the Vuelta last year? Kept shipping seconds at every <10 minutes uphill finish.
Once the two DSM guys broke the chain the chase is screwed if you don't have an MVDP that can jump the gap. Combination of a technical run in, JV with a strong leadout and plenty of teams probably too focused on getting their sprinter over the hill which lead to a positional mess.

I think people overreact a bit too much on these single random events. Jumbo like Bahrain is having questionable high levels all across the board over the last few years that is the bigger picture. Laporte dropping a few lightweights with a headstart in an anaerobic effort? Meh, not thaaaat outrageous.

Compare it with Gilbert's record on Cauberg (770 m @ 7.5 %): 1'23'' @ 33.5 kmph, VAM = 2515, [Dr.F] = 9.15 W/kg

EDIT: Ala & Rogla on the Mur (1 km @ 11.0 %): 2'41'' @ 22.4 kmph, VAM = 2460, [Dr.F] = 7.93 W/kg

The duration today was between those two. [Dr.F] = 8.2 W/kg for 2'10'' was quite good. Note that the formula underestimates (iirc) performances on ultra steep climbs, and I think it also gets unreliable with the high speeds of the other two climbs, so take the numbers with a pinch of salt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luthor
I think the stringing out of riders and dead riders leaving gaps in the peloton was massive here.

I dont know if Ferraris formula underestimates for high speeds but 8.2 doesnt sound crazy for 2 minutes especially at a climb with a length where the launching speed from the flat is still very significant

Not more ridiculous than Roglic or WvAs individual abilities IMO

100% agree.
The entire final 20km played a part in what happened on the climb. I don't think the other GC teams thought splits were likely in that final, which albeit is very odd Paris-Nice behaviour, but there wasn't much pre-emptive organisation from the other big teams. Making sure everyone was pinned in the crosswind and in one line for the whole run into the climb played a bigger role in what happened once they got there. Still a seriously impressive performance from Dennis, Teunissen and Van Hooydonck to keep anyone else from coming up, let alone the horsepower up the climb.

Reminded me of the Saxo raid in the Vuelta in 2014. Not quite the same circumstances but similar in the "one team saw something the others didn't" theory.

Compare it with Gilbert's record on Cauberg (770 m @ 7.5 %): 1'23'' @ 33.5 kmph, VAM = 2515, [Dr.F] = 9.15 W/kg

EDIT: Ala & Rogla on the Mur (1 km @ 11.0 %): 2'41'' @ 22.4 kmph, VAM = 2460, [Dr.F] = 7.93 W/kg

The duration today was between those two. [Dr.F] = 8.2 W/kg for 2'10'' was quite good. Note that the formula underestimates (iirc) performances on ultra steep climbs, and I think it also gets unreliable with the high speeds of the other two climbs, so take the numbers with a pinch of salt.
Flying start was bigger here than it is in Amstel or Fleche. Especially on the Mur youre already going uphill for a few 100m

TRENDING THREADS