• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Jumbo-Visma

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Wout said he was saving himself for next weekend so took it easy. We already know he can climb with the best when not fatigued from last year.

Roglic, again having the same bad legs on the same last day of the same race is a weird one. What does he do last night. He can last 3 weeks of racing in a GT, but not a week into Nice???

Roglic, again having the same bad legs on the same last day of the same race is a weird one. What does he do last night. He can last 3 weeks of racing in a GT, but not a week into Nice???

It also matters how intense the week is. To constantly be focused and working for a week is physically and mentally exhausting. On the Grand Tour, there are a few easy stages a week where he hardly has to do anything special.

Teunissen after the race: '12th and only the 4th of the team, that says it all'. Doesn't it just, Mike, doesn't it just.
Watching them talk about how Laporte all the sudden became a world beater because of the marginal gains and optimal training of JV was so cringeworthy I had to fast forward. He was good no doubt but he’s the only guy in the peloton that can go with Wout now. I’m not saying doping is confined to just one or two teams but it’s definitely being implemented in a coordinated fashion at some teams more than others.

Reactions: Ilmaestro99
Watching them talk about how Laporte all the sudden became a world beater because of the marginal gains and optimal training of JV was so cringeworthy I had to fast forward. He was good no doubt but he’s the only guy in the peloton that can go with Wout now. I’m not saying doping is confined to just one or two teams but it’s definitely being implemented in a coordinated fashion at some teams more than others.
When Wout went LaPorte was on his wheel, Girmay riding his first cobbled classic was third wheel in the gutter and couldn't quite hold on. Girmay was in the gutter, the fastest line and so nobody could get around him. Wout waited for LaPorte over the top and then off they rode. Still the gap was 18-20 seconds until the others started looking around. You say team doping I say team tactics (and the regular doping). Might as well be asking how a 21 year old from a non cycling nation (see Pog-Rog Slovenia thread) was in the position to block everyone else in the first place.

When Wout went LaPorte was on his wheel, Girmay riding his first cobbled classic was third wheel in the gutter and couldn't quite hold on. Girmay was in the gutter, the fastest line and so nobody could get around him. Wout waited for LaPorte over the top and then off they rode. Still the gap was 18-20 seconds until the others started looking around. You say team doping I say team tactics (and the regular doping). Might as well be asking how a 21 year old from a non cycling nation (see Pog-Rog Slovenia thread) was in the position to block everyone else in the first place.

For what it's worth, there are more than twice as many junior riders in Eritrea than Slovenia. The Elite field is slightly larger as well.

Plus, cycling has a HUGE following Eritrea-you really have to look into African cycling, it's phenomenal. Slovenia does maybe as well, but probably more related to the recent domination as opposed to a passion for the sport amongst the general population.

Jumbo has some good stuff this year....but they're not alone as a team, there are others firing on all cylinders. Or maybe more cylinders than you can actually find in their engine.

For what it's worth, there are more than twice as many junior riders in Eritrea than Slovenia. The Elite field is slightly larger as well.

Plus, cycling has a HUGE following Eritrea-you really have to look into African cycling, it's phenomenal. Slovenia does maybe as well, but probably more related to the recent domination as opposed to a passion for the sport amongst the general population.

Jumbo has some good stuff this year....but they're not alone as a team, there are others firing on all cylinders. Or maybe more cylinders than you can actually find in their engine.
You're right, I should have said "non classics nation" as Girmay is the first rider from Eritrea to show real aptitude for racing on the cobbles, and he has proven to be a very fast learner.

Last edited:
WVA was getting dropped like a stone the past mountain stages. Suddenly he is almost dropping Quintana. Must have had a special breakfast this morning
WVA is merely back to 2020 TdF level. WVA is only 27 so we should also expect him to be stronger in 2022 due to natural progression.

But no way will WVA be a match for Pog at the TdF. For JV, Roglic and Vingegaard will be their GC leaders ably supported by WVA and others like Rohan Dennis.

Last edited:
I really like what I saw from TJV today. Both riders in the break lost what could easily have been stage losing time, but slogged out a victory against a couple of decent veterans (who also looked completely on the limit). The stage completely passed the smell test for me (out of those riders going at full tilt).

TRENDING THREADS