• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Jumbo-Visma

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Taking the intermediates for no reason, sprinting for KOM points, the tactically meaningless self-indulgent attacks from the gun and solo breakaways.

This guy is braindead, loads of these guys end up getting caught because people get fed up and start thinking oh this arrogant ****er has to go. Even recently, the whole Bahrain raids saga began when Padun took back to back stages in absurd fashion and a bunch of French sporting directors hit the press saying these guys are just mocking us now.

People aren't lining up in droves to have a crack at Indurain even though his blood was basically tar, because he just took his gear, shined on a few stages and shut up. Sky had their critics certainly but at least they were smart enough to just drill a few stages then try and soft pedal the rest.

I almost wanted Van Aert to win the stage just for the comedy value. That moment went he started drilling it and dropped Pogacar was almost surreal.

Given his elite sprinting legs, I believed that burst more than anything else - the idea that he could put in an attack, knowing that he had no need to keep it up (Vingegaard could go alone and WVA fall back to third/fifth/twentieth without it being a big deal) seemed reasonable. The fact that he was in position as the final domestique after all the other work he did? Eye opening, either as an incredibly display of talent or Clinic suspicion.

• Haha
Reactions: ontheroad
Given his elite sprinting legs, I believed that burst more than anything else - the idea that he could put in an attack, knowing that he had no need to keep it up (Vingegaard could go alone and WVA fall back to third/fifth/twentieth without it being a big deal) seemed reasonable. The fact that he was in position as the final domestique after all the other work he did? Eye opening, either as an incredibly display of talent or Clinic suspicion.

Which is all fine if you just watched the final climb of todays stage in isolation. But when you put it together with the constant sprinting to get into the break/close down breaks, sprinting for intermediate points, sprinting for stages, sprinting for KOTM points, taking long pulls on climbs, taking pulls in valleys then it all looks rather ludicrous. I’ve been lucky enough to be able to watch almost every minute of every stage and he has been literally unbelievable.

On commentary today as he crossed the line Hatch just said ‘WVA OMG’ but he could just as easily have added WTF!! He has been taking the piss for 18 days in a row.

Reactions: Fantastico
Jumbo DS pre-stage: "Aight guys, let's give 'em some doubt and sandbag this stage, ok? Especially you, Wout; no BOTD, no sprinting for the victory, no nothing, ok?"
DS after the stage: "God damnit Chris, not like this!"

France didn't have a stage win so far. There were French managers and riders prepared to say this is obvious. So it was logical, I guess, to take the French public in...

TRENDING THREADS