• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Jumbo-Visma

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
According to the belgian press Jonas has said he wants to share leadership if Wout would like to go for the GC next year…

Not sure where that leaves poor Roglic. Do they even remember he exists?
Wow is this true? If it’s a foregone conclusion that Roglic will not get any form of Tour leadership but someone like Wout who has far from proven he can compete for a Tour will, it’s 1) A sign that they have a lot of faith in their “process”; 2) Either they’re not using that on Roglic or it’s taken him as far as it can go but they think there is more room for Wout; 3) Roglic should switch teams.

Wow is this true? If it’s a foregone conclusion that Roglic will not get any form of Tour leadership but someone like Wout who has far from proven he can compete for a Tour will, it’s 1) A sign that they have a lot of faith in their “process”; 2) Either they’re not using that on Roglic or it’s taken him as far as it can go but they think there is more room for Wout; 3) Roglic should switch teams.
Wout's coach said the other he has no more body fat left to burn to change into a GC contender and he's 0.5w/kg off the GC guys uphill. Doesn't sound much, but that is huge, so if he can't get any more fat off his body he just doesn't have the physiology to do GC it seems.

Wout's coach said the other he has no more body fat left to burn to change into a GC contender and he's 0.5w/kg off the GC guys uphill. Doesn't sound much, but that is huge, so if he can't get any more fat off his body he just doesn't have the physiology to do GC it seems.
Only way Wout becomes a true GC contender is if he's prepared to drop muscle mass on a Sky 2012-14 style regime, and if he does that he risks his classics/cyclocross form.

.5W/kg for a 60kg rider is 30W, that's massive at this level

Only way Wout becomes a true GC contender is if he's prepared to drop muscle mass on a Sky 2012-14 style regime

Why do you say that? He was already almost/actually outclimbing Pogacar with this weight. Yes, I know on most climbs he let go earlier. But he spent energy day in day out. And he could beat Pogacar in the time trial. Should they both have the form they had this year next year, and should van Aert seriously go for GC, he can win. His biggest rival would be Vingegaard (or whoever Jumbo likes then).

Why do you say that? He was already almost/actually outclimbing Pogacar with this weight. Yes, I know on most climbs he let go earlier. But he spent energy day in day out. And he could beat Pogacar in the time trial. Should they both have the form they had this year next year, and should van Aert seriously go for GC, he can win. His biggest rival would be Vingegaard (or whoever Jumbo likes then).
He'll need to get more consistent on the truly steep stuff to really contend, otherwise he's top 15, even top 10, but not top 5. And that means dropping weight.

Reactions: Cookster15
You don't drop fat, you drop muscles. All cyclist are low fat and that is not where you make the difference. Heck below a certain point you are damaging your performance level/Recuperation etc. (unless you take stuff). You can see that in body building, the moment they go lean, very low fat percentage, their strength drops with 40% and fatigue is very common.. not an acceptable trade if performance is what you after (and not looks).

So Wout losing muscles will result in lesser strength somewhere, be it explosive, power at FTP, ...
Good example was Jurgen vdb. When he dropped kg to climb better he lost strength in his TT capabilities.

Wout would need to drop to 70-72kg to content for podium while keeping his power output above 430W.

If I was Jumbo Visma I would invite some journalists to life with the team for a year. You want to kill all doping stories? Thats the way. Like they embed journalists in the army, embed them in the teams. See from up close what's going on.

You don't drop fat, you drop muscles. All cyclist are low fat and that is not where you make the difference. Heck below a certain point you are damaging your performance level/Recuperation etc. (unless you take stuff). You can see that in body building, the moment they go lean, very low fat percentage, their strength drops with 40% and fatigue is very common.. not an acceptable trade if performance is what you after (and not looks).

So Wout losing muscles will result in lesser strength somewhere, be it explosive, power at FTP, ...
Good example was Jurgen vdb. When he dropped kg to climb better he lost strength in his TT capabilities.

Wout would need to drop to 70-72kg to content for podium while keeping his power output above 430W.
Remember in 2007 or 2008 when Wiggins dropped some weight by going to the absolute lowest fat percentage he could possibly go without becoming a wreck, and he explicitly said he couldn't keep it up for longer than a few weeks, and then a few years later somehow he dropped even more weight and kept it up for whole seasons while also increasing his power output? Good times.

If I was Jumbo Visma I would invite some journalists to life with the team for a year. You want to kill all doping stories? Thats the way. Like they embed journalists in the army, embed them in the teams. See from up close what's going on.

David Walsh seems to have seen nothing wrong at this year's Tour and has previous experience of being embedded at Sky where he saw no Jiffy bags, crazed doctors or broken laptops.
Perfect candidate.

Generation Kill, pro-cycling style.

Of course in the Iraq war it didn't always work as good pr, i.e. in many cases these journalists did actually witness war crimes. In cycling it wouldn't work either because the dark arts stuff can be done very quickly when the press isn't there. It's not like shelling civilians in a combat zone, i.e. something much more difficult to hide than a doping program.

Netflix for example have been following a few teams this year & they'll have seen absolutely nothing.

I'm always sad to see how fast people seem to know that someone is doing X because of Z and this must be so that Y etc.

Now I understand people don't trust cycling anymore giving the past, but I see this everywhere. There is a saying in dutch which goes "Zoals de waard is vertrouwd hij z'n gasten"
Comes down to that people who don't trust anyone usually aren't to be trusted as well.

quickly running from the clinic again

I'm always sad to see how fast people seem to know that someone is doing X because of Z and this must be so that Y etc.

Now I understand people don't trust cycling anymore giving the past, but I see this everywhere. There is a saying in dutch which goes "Zoals de waard is vertrouwd hij z'n gasten"
Comes down to that people who don't trust anyone usually aren't to be trusted as well.

quickly running from the clinic again

It's so nice to meet someone I can trust.

I am Dr. Bakare Tunde, the cousin of Nigerian Astronaut, Air Force Major Abacha Tunde. He was the first African in space when he made a secret flight to the Salyut 6 space station in 1979. He was on a later Soviet spaceflight, Soyuz T-16Z to the secret Soviet military space station Salyut 8T in 1989. He was stranded there in 1990 when the Soviet Union was dissolved. His other Soviet crew members returned to earth on the Soyuz T-16Z, but his place was taken up by return cargo. There have been occasional Progrez supply flights to keep him going since that time. He is in good humor, but wants to come home.

In the 14-years since he has been on the station, he has accumulated flight pay and interest amounting to almost $ 15,000,000 American Dollars. This is held in a trust at the Lagos National Savings and Trust Association. If we can obtain access to this money, we can place a down payment with the Russian Space Authorities for a Soyuz return flight to bring him back to Earth. I am told this will cost $ 3,000,000 American Dollars. In order to access the his trust fund we need your assistance.

Only way Wout becomes a true GC contender is if he's prepared to drop muscle mass on a Sky 2012-14 style regime, and if he does that he risks his classics/cyclocross form.

.5W/kg for a 60kg rider is 30W, that's massive at this level

How? His coach said there is no fat left to burn, so if he burns off muscle too he will end up more than 0.5w/kg off as all he can lose is muscle. He would neither be classics or even a 1 week racer then.

How? His coach said there is no fat left to burn, so if he burns off muscle too he will end up more than 0.5w/kg off as all he can lose is muscle. He would neither be classics or even a 1 week racer then.

The key in that post was "Sky 2012-14 style regime". Which is basically dropping weight while keeping/increasing power. (Wiggins, Geraint Thomas, Froome)

If we are under the assumption this 'technique' isn't already been used... :)

• Haha
Reactions: ontheroad
It is simple. Wout just needs to tie his arms to his sides for a few weeks. Arms atrophy and all is good ... you don't need too much arm and should strength to ride a bike :p

Pog is due a visit to the Etihad Stadium.

He already did last December!

Gallery: Tadej Pogačar visits the CFA! (mancity.com)

pep-guardiola-with-tadej-pogacar.jpg

Reactions: Carrick-On-Seine

TRENDING THREADS