• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Jumbo-Visma

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In a way LR should have their own thread. I think it's a phenomenon in itself when a computer geek streaming pro cycling manager gets hired by the biggest cycling team in the world for tactical analysis :O

Like... it's just so wierd. From the left field to say the least. o_O

Does this happen in other sports too???

I'm pretty sure football teams use the Football Manager game for scouting but that's a big programme with hundreds of trained analysts from all around the world contributing to the database rather than a java programmer and a commercial lawyer.

It says a bit about Jumbo's internal strategists, doesn't it?
Well if Benji is anything similar irl to how he appears on the podcast I'd say what's really different about him from other analysts is his warmth and non macho approach.

He tends to defend the little guy against the bigger, the rider against the team etc and just generally takes a very good guy approach to it all that's quite unique imo. Patrick is more similar to the others, but Benji is different.

Hiring him certainly doesn't quite fit with the idea of Jumbo as cold-hearted :D

(Again; everything can be an act of course. )

What gives me pause is that he hasn't spoken out for Rogla riding injured the way he usually would for other riders. He was really adamant in other cases...

How Erik ten Hag played a role in Jumbo-Visma's Tour masterplan (nos.nl)

Erik ten Hag is also already working some of his tactical mastery at Man Utd: Manchester United 1-2 Brighton: Erik ten Hag suffers defeat in first Premier League game - BBC Sport

If he continues like that, he'll be available for a full time job in Jumbo's team car next summer (& perhaps even sooner).

Rumour has it it they're signing half the Jumbo Visma Development Team with Scott McTominay to the Lanterne Rouge podcast as a makeweight.

Reactions: Ilmaestro99
You guys are vastly overrating this LR&Benji stuff and potential Omerta conspiracies. Jumbo have a massiv budget, they have no problems dishing out a couple of freelance contracts for stuff you otherwise would let an intern do. In the end they probably paid a medium 4 figure sum for a couple of video reports and power estimations on opponents which they knew mostly anyway and just saved them some time.
Consultancy just sounds fancy and gets people excited for no reason, in reality consultancies are 90% inconvenient work that companies can't be bothered to do themselves but have no relevance to their bigger goals. There's no way anyone would risk letting them in on some clinic relevant information or that an ego like WVA listens to what some guys from the internet advise him to do lol.
Don't get me wrong, how they dealt with the whole thing has been laughable throughout ("Look we got an objectivity clause, that means we aren't biased" hahaha) and especially their two data guys are the sort of insufferable twitter edgelords that deserve all the *** they get but I just don't see the point of the whole outrage about the topic.

As for Ten Haag, this is also purely PR nonsense, you get these sport overlaps that get huge press coverage all the time. I assume his involvement is as relevant as the famous Carmichael training systems were for Lance.

I guess it makes sense. The guys are typically watching the majority of a bike race in order to analyse what happened that day as neutrally and objectively as they can do from TV. It's another marginal gain I guess and I doubt the team are paying them for no real gain from it. Jumbo seem to have very good budget, just look at their service course, it's on another level even to Ineos really.

Has anyone suggested that? :O
If so I agree that's next level of crazy.

Just a few pages back:

Omerta. He's part of the establishment now, getting all those rights to show highlights of races.
Patrick’s deleted tweet said it all. Thanking Merijn, Grischa and of course himself.

That whole team worked for jumbo and clearly so even if you see the last days alone.

only an omerta on jumbo now…

You guys are vastly overrating this LR&Benji stuff and potential Omerta conspiracies. Jumbo have a massiv budget, they have no problems dishing out a couple of freelance contracts for stuff you otherwise would let an intern do. In the end they probably paid a medium 4 figure sum for a couple of video reports and power estimations on opponents which they knew mostly anyway and just saved them some time.
Consultancy just sounds fancy and gets people excited for no reason, in reality consultancies are 90% inconvenient work that companies can't be bothered to do themselves but have no relevance to their bigger goals. There's no way anyone would risk letting them in on some clinic relevant information or that an ego like WVA listens to what some guys from the internet advise him to do lol.
Don't get me wrong, how they dealt with the whole thing has been laughable throughout ("Look we got an objectivity clause, that means we aren't biased" hahaha) and especially their two data guys are the sort of insufferable twitter edgelords that deserve all the *** they get but I just don't see the point of the whole outrage about the topic.

As for Ten Haag, this is also purely PR nonsense, you get these sport overlaps that get huge press coverage all the time. I assume his involvement is as relevant as the famous Carmichael training systems were for Lance.

Lanterne Rouge was known for calling out suspicious and mutant cycling. But now that he's got a lot of packaging rights for highlights show from the higher-ups, that content is gone. I think someone else stated that all those previous mutant videos are now deleted.

Care to comment?

Reactions: Ilmaestro99
Lanterne Rouge was known for calling out suspicious and mutant cycling. But now that he's got a lot of packaging rights for highlights show from the higher-ups, that content is gone. I think someone else stated that all those previous mutant videos are now deleted.

Care to comment?
They've been gone for a year and a half now because he doesn't have the license rights and after three strikes for copyright violation your youtube channel gets taken down. It's a standard development for youtubers really, they get big by using footage that they're technically not allowed to but no one gives a *** because the channel is too small. But once you get to a certain vierwship, the ones who own the copyright smell money and report them.

It's not only the doping videos that are gone, everything else prior to 2021 is deleted as well (except for these new RCS licensed videos from 2017 where he bought the rights).

Reactions: yaco
They've been gone for a year and a half now because he doesn't have the license rights and after three strikes for copyright violation your youtube channel gets taken down. It's a standard development for youtubers really, they get big by using footage that they're technically not allowed to but no one gives a *** because the channel is too small. But once you get to a certain vierwship, the ones who own the copyright smell money and report them.

It's not only the doping videos that are gone, everything else prior to 2021 is deleted as well (except for these new RCS licensed videos from 2017 where he bought the rights).
He deleted Volta a Portugal videos which for sure wouldn't have any copyright strikes since RTP doesn't give a damn about that. Same for older videos of GT's that everyone uses including videos with more views than LR. That's a very poor excuse.

TRENDING THREADS