• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Jumbo-Visma

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
CORVOS_00035001-008-e1671722708316.jpg

Why does Vingegaard look like he's the same size as Anna Henderson?

She also seems to be the only who actually noticed that side camera.

Reactions: Lequack
Well everybody seems happy with Rodriguez, Hayters, Plapp, Sheffield, Tullett, Turner, now Tarling and every promise doing great at Ineos, don´t think Gloag is worse in terms of potential than all of this guys, perhaps he is the best climber/gc guy of his year (2001) behind Rodriguez, despite all his health problems last year he still was prefered in Jumbo for this season over Staune-Mittet (the most consistent GC u23 rider in 2022) and Archie Ryan one of the better climbers in the U23 ranks, despite the fact that both are from his own development program.

Well everybody seems happy with Rodriguez, Hayters, Plapp, Sheffield, Tullett, Turner, now Tarling and every promise doing great at Ineos, don´t think Gloag is worse in terms of potential than all of this guys, perhaps he is the best climber/gc guy of his year (2001) behind Rodriguez, despite all his health problems last year he still was prefered in Jumbo for this season over Staune-Mittet (the most consistent GC u23 rider in 2022) and Archie Ryan one of the better climbers in the U23 ranks, despite the fact that both are from his own development program.

I am not okay with the Ineos guys. It's just that one has gotten used to the Skyneos team I guess. But at this point there are so many red flags everywhere again, of course it is difficult to pick certain ones and still each of them gives me a bad feeling.

Christoph Laporte casually riding away from the best classic riders in the world on the kemmelberg like its a gentle kicker . Good training camp

The opposition wasn't exactly top tier.

I watched the race, i.e. Quick-Step (yep, former classics masters) only showed themselves when Mister enormous thighs Fabio Jacobsen decided to suspend his brain & go on what the French call a "chasse patate" aka chasing potatoes, which means trying to make an impossible jump to the front of the race out of the peloton, alone. He did get to show his nice European champ jersey though, so there's that.

WvA had no opponent in today's race & his gift to Laporte was pretty gracious tbh (like seriously one of the biggest gifts I've seen, up there with Armstrong giving the Ventoux to Pantani, although the recipient of the gift was much happier on this occasion). I basically think Jumbo's results so far this season have more to do with the opposition not being up to their former standard IMO. It's not just Quick-Step either: Bahrain, Ineos & Intermaché are nowhere right now.

Jumbo meanwhile are just doing a 'normal' season by their standards.

Noob question: are you suggesting the reason QS is going worse is change in team doctors?
I´ll tell you the story of José Ibarguren Taus in short.
In 2008-2009 he worked for Saunier-Duval (with Gianetti as teammanager, if you´re a real noob: as a rider, Gianetti almost killed himself with experimental doping). In that time, guys like Ricco and Piepoli were destroying the whole peloton in mountain stages of giro and tour, before getting caught. The team folded in 2009 after too many positives. Ibarguren then went to Lotto (2009-2011), where he apparantly needed some time to make his magic work, but when it worked, it was good enough to make Bart De Clerq win a mountain stage in the Giro ( ok, it was only Montevergine) and Jelle Vanendert casually winning on Plateau de Beille. What he did with Philippe Gilbert is almost beyond words.
At the end of 2011 the cosponsor of Lotto (Davitamon) went to QS, and in the flemish press there was some speculating about which riders would follow. It was only a certain doctor that went. So after their horrible 2011, QS got dr Ibarguren joining their ranks, and all of a sudden Boonen rode a miracle spring, while Gilbert lost a lot of his mojo, until he got rejoined with Ibarguren in 2017. Granted, not every year was as succesfull, but from 2017 onwards they were on an incredible level until the end of 2021, when Ibarguren left QS for Movistar. There too, he needed some adaptation before the results kicked in, but since the summer of last year, they are riding very well (Mas in the Italian fall races). Meanwhile, QS has been reduced to Evenepoel and 2 sprinters.

In 2008-2009 he worked for Saunier-Duval (with Gianetti as teammanager, if you´re a real noob: as a rider, Gianetti almost killed himself with experimental doping). In that time, guys like Ricco and Piepoli were destroying the whole peloton in mountain stages of giro and tour, before getting caught. The team folded in 2009 after too many positives. Ibarguren then went to Lotto (2009-2011), where he apparantly needed some time to make his magic work, but when it worked, it was good enough to make Bart De Clerq win a mountain stage in the Giro ( ok, it was only Montevergine) and Jelle Vanendert casually winning on Plateau de Beille. What he did with Philippe Gilbert is almost beyond words.
At the end of 2011 the cosponsor of Lotto (Davitamon) went to QS, and in the flemish press there was some speculating about which riders would follow. It was only a certain doctor that went. So after their horrible 2011, QS got dr Ibarguren joining their ranks, and all of a sudden Boonen rode a miracle spring, while Gilbert lost a lot of his mojo, until he got rejoined with Ibarguren in 2017. Granted, not every year was as succesfull, but from 2017 onwards they were on an incredible level until the end of 2021, when Ibarguren left QS for Movistar. There too, he needed some adaptation before the results kicked in, but since the summer of last year, they are riding very well (Mas in the Italian fall races). Meanwhile, QS has been reduced to Evenepoel and 2 sprinters.
Thanks! I love hearing stories like these! Doping stories is my true crime guilty pleasure!

TRENDING THREADS