• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Jumbo-Visma

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dwars door Vlaanderen: Christophe Laporte grabs solo glory on cobbles with late attack | Cyclingnews

Laporte coming into form at the right time. He reminds me of the role that Michał Kwiatkowski played at Skyneos. Whilst Kwiatkowski was not a GC rider, he was capable of holding huge pace on HC climbs to pace his leaders. Laporte did similar in 2022 TdF and is looking good for 2023.

Jumbo is the new Sky but I'm barracking for the underdog to set the record straight in the TdF - Pog. Doping or not he is far easier to like.

Uh, what HC climb was that?
I don't recall exactly, only that when it happened, I made note. Perhaps it was on the Alpe stage as zlev11 mentioned?

Anyway, the point is Laporte can climb fast for long enough to be a huge impact for Vingegaard and Roglic. The rise of Jumbo-Visma since 2020 seems much like the days of Sky in 2012-2013 when we saw domestiques doing amazing things in the mountains.

In all fairness. Laporte went from Cofidis where riders underperform massively due to a bad program, to Jumbo were riders over perform massively.

Hence why his performance increase looks as different as day and night!
I still find JV in their enitrety being one of the more if not the most impressive teams in rider performance maximization/transformation.

I still find JV in their enitrety being one of the more if not the most impressive teams in rider performance maximization/transformation.

I think Jumbo have an outstanding way of finding the right riders & maximizing their performances.

But it doesn't always work. Dumoulin & Rohan Dennis both flopped, i.e. it's not a one size fits all miracle solution they've got going there. Then there's riders like Oomen who've just never made the jump to something more. Tobias Foss had an exceptional Worlds ITT but he doesn't look like the GT contender some once assumed he could be (like back when he won the Tour de l'Avenir).

I mean for example the rider who impressed me the most last season in the Vuelta outside of Rog was Chris Harper & he left the team (& he looked quite strong in Paris-Nice for Jayco). So... Jumbo aren't some miracle outfit where riders automatically superform in the team (& don't do well elsewhere). It's more nuanced than that.

Reactions: Luthor and acm
Can't find the Roglic thread which is strange since he's one of the most obvious candidates in the peloton.

Losing that TT to fellow candidate Pogacar by minute taught him it's ok to win TTs by huge margins, nobody cares. (Oh and there was the big margin loss to Dumoulin in Bergen as well, which nobody noticed, I suppose because Froome was third it didn't fit the narrative)

Yeah let's win the Olympic TT by over a minute, yeah let's have a mechanical and still win the Giro TT by nearly a minute

It's no coincidence that Jumbo are yellow, they're clearly as dirty as a former big yellow team

Can't find the Roglic thread which is strange since he's one of the most obvious candidates in the peloton.

Losing that TT to fellow candidate Pogacar by minute taught him it's ok to win TTs by huge margins, nobody cares. (Oh and there was the big margin loss to Dumoulin in Bergen as well, which nobody noticed, I suppose because Froome was third it didn't fit the narrative)

Yeah let's win the Olympic TT by over a minute, yeah let's have a mechanical and still win the Giro TT by nearly a minute

It's no coincidence that Jumbo are yellow, they're clearly as dirty as a former big yellow team

hmm im sensing some anti-slovenian bias with this post.

• Haha
Reactions: Andon
the rider your post is centered around is

Oh well maybe you mean anti-Roglic bias then? Yes, obviously. I'm surprised there isn't more of it since he's clearly one of the most suspect cyclists around with a few other in Jumbo close contenders.

Still a quick perusal of this forum shows how irrationally crazy the majority of posters are, if they are cycling fans then they certainly deserve what's being served up as entertainment these days. Enjoy the freakshow.

Reactions: argyllflyer
Oh well maybe you mean anti-Roglic bias then? Yes, obviously. I'm surprised there isn't more of it since he's clearly one of the most suspect cyclists around with a few other in Jumbo close contenders.

Still a quick perusal of this forum shows how irrationally crazy the majority of posters are, if they are cycling fans then they certainly deserve what's being served up as entertainment these days. Enjoy the freakshow.

it's just weird that you're not also posting in the thread for the guy who's a 37 year old former classics rider and is now the 2nd best climber in the Giro after being hot garbage all season. seems like there's some kind of bias at work here to me.

Reactions: topt