• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Sky to win Giro ????

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
At this point in his career Uran should (and I'm sure is) view top 10 as the absolute minimum he should achieve. Top 5+ and white jersey should be his aim.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
hatcher said:
At this point in his career Uran should (and I'm sure is) view top 10 as the absolute minimum he should achieve. Top 5+ and white jersey should be his aim.

Well he is only 24 and wasn't in top shape at beginning of Giro because of that fall at FW so coming here a Top 10 was a goal and white. Not Top 5, but if he keeps improving there is definitely a chance of Top 5.

What exactly have they showed today that we didnt already know on stage 1?

Henao maybe if you didn't buy the hype, but Uran?

Finishing in with the top climbers in a stage where 15 basically made it to the finish together.

Dude was already doing that at the Tour last year.

Rider Team Time
1 Jelle Vanendert (BEL) Omega Pharma-Lotto 5h 13' 25"
2 Samuel Sánchez (ESP) Euskaltel-Euskadi + 21"
3 Andy Schleck (LUX) Leopard Trek + 46"
4 Cadel Evans (AUS) BMC Racing Team + 48"
5 Rigoberto Urán (COL) Team Sky + 48"
6 Alberto Contador (ESP) Saxo Bank-SunGard + 48"
7 Thomas Voeckler (FRA) Team Europcar + 48"
8 Fränk Schleck (LUX) Leopard Trek + 48"
9 Jean-Christophe Péraud (FRA) Ag2r-La Mondiale + 48"
10 Pierre Rolland (FRA) Team Europcar + 48"

Who wants to create the thread about how much we learned from seeing Basso finish in top 15 climbers of this stage?

I really think people are putting way too much into this stage. One rider is suddenly a 'superior climber', one rider has to aim for top 5, one rider is out of the GC.

40 riders were in the peloton with 5 kilometres to the finish. Pace wasn't that high. Heck, G. Thomas were in that group with a few kilometres to the finish. I haven't seen a profile of the final climb tommorrow but it surely will answer more questions than this one.

Too many conclusions, boys!

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
DominicDecoco said:
I really think people are putting way too much into this stage. One rider is suddenly a 'superior climber', one rider has to aim for top 5, one rider is out of the GC.

40 riders were in the peloton with 5 kilometres to the finish. Pace wasn't that high. Heck, G. Thomas were in that group with a few kilometres to the finish. I haven't seen a profile of the final climb tommorrow but it surely will answer more questions than this one.

I agree, although at one moment there was a split with those riders :

Scarponi
Basso
Rodriguez
Uran
Henao
Tiralongo
Pozzovivo

That was after Scarponi caught Rodriguez. But the pace dropped after that and all came back at the end in bigger group.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
DominicDecoco said:

My top 5 minimum isn't based on this stage, it's based on Uran being a proven, quality rider who should be coming into his own now.

Beaten by Basso, Scarponi, Rodriguez, fair enough. But if he's not outclimbing riders like Kreuziger, Intxausti, Tiralongo, Cataldo then it's a very average performance imo.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
What exactly have they showed today that we didnt already know on stage 1?

Henao maybe if you didn't buy the hype, but Uran?

Finishing in with the top climbers in a stage where 15 basically made it to the finish together.

Dude was already doing that at the Tour last year.

Rider Team Time
1 Jelle Vanendert (BEL) Omega Pharma-Lotto 5h 13' 25"
2 Samuel Sánchez (ESP) Euskaltel-Euskadi + 21"
3 Andy Schleck (LUX) Leopard Trek + 46"
4 Cadel Evans (AUS) BMC Racing Team + 48"
5 Rigoberto Urán (COL) Team Sky + 48"
6 Alberto Contador (ESP) Saxo Bank-SunGard + 48"
7 Thomas Voeckler (FRA) Team Europcar + 48"
8 Fränk Schleck (LUX) Leopard Trek + 48"
9 Jean-Christophe Péraud (FRA) Ag2r-La Mondiale + 48"
10 Pierre Rolland (FRA) Team Europcar + 48"

Who wants to create the thread about how much we learned from seeing Basso finish in top 15 climbers of this stage?

They showed they had a lot of power to spare, as they took control in the last couple of Kms, something some of those other "top 15" climbers didnt seem capable of doing.

TRENDING THREADS