The 2nd Tour De Yorkshire (2.1) 29/04 - 1/05/16

The race is back for a 2nd year and is again 3 stages in length after British cycling rejecting a proposal from ASO to extend the race to 4 days.

The first 2 stages should be sprints but the final stage on Sunday could well be decisive, It's similar to stage 1 of last years race which ended in 6 riders going clear when the bunch split into pieces. This year there are a further 2 climbs after Robin Hood's Bay.

As anyone who lives in the UK can verify the weather has been all over the place recently with a mixture of strong wind, heavy rain, hail storms and snow. Parts of Sundays route have already seen heavy snow fall, but there are no problems anticipated for racing. The weather forecast is predicting more showers and unsettled weather this weekend, including heavy localised showers, great news for us!

The race is live on both ITV4 and Eurosport with ITV4 showing at least 5 hours of coverage each day, they are both also showing the women's race on Saturday morning which is the same as the men's stage 2.

Lars Petter Nordhaug returns to defend his crown and other notable riders include: Nico Roche, Pete Kennaugh, Rohan Dennis, Steve Cummings, Jurgen VDB, Thiago Machado, Adam Yates, Caleb Ewan, Warren Barguil, Tommy Voeckler and of course Bradley Wiggins.

Startlist: http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Tour_de_Yorkshire_2016_Startlist

Last years top 10:
1.NORDHAUG Lars Petter
2.SáNCHEZ Samuel 0:11
3.VOECKLER Thomas s.t
4.ROSSETTO Stephane 0:13
5.DEIGNAN Philip 0:24
6.HERMANS Ben 1:05
7.VAN AVERMAET Greg 1:15
8.ROWSELL Erick 1:21
9.DUIJN Huub 1:27
10.HANDLEY Richard s.t

Stage 1: 185km


Stage 2: 135.5km


Stage 3: 198km
 
Re:

TMP402 said:
Nice write up. I'd also add Moscon, Rowe, Hermans, Haas, Pauwels, Roglic, Kruijswijk, Weening, Mortensen, Dion Smith, Bibby, Edmondson, and Davies as riders to watch.
TMP402 said:
And for the sprints beside Ewan: Groenewegen, van Poppel, Doull, Mezgec, Drucker, Cort, Arndt, and whichever of Kristoff's sprint train is Katusha's sprinter for the race.
Thanks, yes there lots of riders who could do something here, Pretty solid startlist.
 
Aug 2, 2012
5,971
1
0
shame womens race is not a version of stage 3

loved last years event ...even though the brilliant stage 1 decided overall

on 1st day.....hence reverse this year

Mark L
 
Aug 2, 2012
5,971
1
0
....actually...in consideration..i think it's shocking! that women don't

get 3 stages too


Mark L
 
Mar 24, 2016
28
0
0
Re: Re:

MartinGT said:
ebandit said:
shame womens race is not a version of stage 3

loved last years event ...even though the brilliant stage 1 decided overall

on 1st day.....hence reverse this year

Mark L
The whole women start time is a complete farce too. 8:30 start from Otley!
At this point in time a ladies race does not have the clout to demand that media schedules revolve around their race, so it's probably about compromise. By starting at 8.30 they get live coverage of the whole race on Eurosport 2. Had they started at say 12 noon, they would have lost out to live World Superbikes and ended up with a few minutes highlights during the men's race.
 
Feb 6, 2016
1,213
0
0
The name 'Tour de Yorkshire' and the 'cotes' on the profiles are astonishingly obnoxious.

Be interesting to know who Sky's leader is for this race: Roche seems to have a good chance. Yates should be good.
 
Dec 31, 2015
321
1
3,035
Re:

Cannibal72 said:
The name 'Tour de Yorkshire' and the 'cotes' on the profiles are astonishingly obnoxious.

I know, right? There's no good reason for the name of the race to be in french. I know for marketing purposes they would love this race to be the tour de france but it isn't. I suppose it is to appeal to the general public who think that any decent bike race has a 'de' in the name
 
Re: Re:

StephenC2020 said:
Cannibal72 said:
The name 'Tour de Yorkshire' and the 'cotes' on the profiles are astonishingly obnoxious.

I know, right? There's no good reason for the name of the race to be in french. I know for marketing purposes they would love this race to be the tour de france but it isn't. I suppose it is to appeal to the general public who think that any decent bike race has a 'de' in the name

All down to Prudhomme and the ASO not Yorkshire though. I agree it's a bit silly, should just be in English.
 
Jul 16, 2011
1,551
0
0
They could have put some more pennine climbs in. I guess they're aiming for a big GC climax on Sunday, which may well be the case, unless the crazy weather continues. My mum is from Settle and still lives nearby (in exile under the shadow of the "Cote de Pendle" :rolleyes: ). In honour of her I'll go for Swift.... oh wait, I'll take someone from the home of the other side of the family. Luke Rowe. Anyway, the Yorkshire moors are sure to provide some good racing.

p.s. I'm trying to figure out what the finish circuit on Day 1 is going to be like. After a loop, it seems that the only possible road into Giggleswick that might be nearly 100m above the finishing line is the back route that descends past the school chapel. It's quite narrow with lots of changes in gradient, so might be an interesting finish. Am I right?
 
Re:

yaco said:
Last year was an aggressive race and most likely the same in 2016. Does have a stronger field than 2015. Probably 10 or 12 riders could win GC.
Yes this year has many potential GC contenders, but in the form of Sammy Sanchez and GVA, last year probably had bigger names.
 
Re:

Tank Engine said:
p.s. I'm trying to figure out what the finish circuit on Day 1 is going to be like. After a loop, it seems that the only possible road into Giggleswick that might be nearly 100m above the finishing line is the back route that descends past the school chapel. It's quite narrow with lots of changes in gradient, so might be an interesting finish. Am I right?
Looks like they go into Settle, then head through Giggleswick and up the hill. It's mainly false flat but there is around a 500m section at over 7% according to mapmyride. They continue until they get to the A65 where the riders go left and follow the A road back towards Settle. Its about a 12k anti-clockwise loop.
 
Jul 16, 2011
1,551
0
0
Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Looks like they go into Settle, then head through Giggleswick and up the hill. It's mainly false flat but there is around a 500m section at over 7% according to mapmyride. They continue until they get to the A65 where the riders go left and follow the A road back into Settle, Its about a 12k loop.
Cheers. Going round that way does make sense.
 
Re: Re:

del1962 said:
jens_attacks said:
can JTL ride this plz?


grande JTL!
He did his first UCI race of his comeback last weekend, finishing with Josh Edmondson

Anyway I have ridden up Greenhow, pretty steep at the bottom, unfortunately looks like a strong headwind towards Settle on Friday
Greenhow is a tough climb. But it does go up IIRC in 3 stages so a little respite.

https://www.strava.com/segments/6690987

Will be interesting as Tuesday Scott Thwaites tweeted a pic of the top of it in snow!
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY